The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....hmmmm...Jake's thread got meaty...then he got meaty...then it got meatier.....I see what you all are doing here....trying to fatten this thread up with a few hundred more pages....just to see if it fattens up Elias...

Could  just work...but with his skill he only needs 10 more Lbs. to do his thing in the NHL...so let,s not overshoot on this.....a 240 Lb EP would not be pretty....

Let's discuss diets. The sumo wrestlers here are fed chunko nabe, 'til they resemble elephants. 10 pages of nabe ingreds might be the ticket?

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, suitup said:

This is absolutely insane... since when was the last time a rookie of his age step into the SHL and challenge for league MVP?

I’d have to check but it may very well be unprecedented, if Elias were to win the Guldhjälmen at age 19 and as an SHL rookie.

Forsberg comes to mind, but he was already age 20 and 21 when he won the award back-to-back in his D+2 and D+3 seasons (which I believe were his 3rd and 4th seasons in that league).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typo
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, suitup said:

This is absolutely insane... since when was the last time a rookie of his age step into the SHL and challenge for league MVP?

Even Peter Forsberg didn't challenge till his D+2. Not sure there are any others that came close.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

When did he score +30 goals?  Regardless, I don't see him wanting the headache of playing in Van.  He has a home in Vegas, so I think he goes there or to a contender.

Sorry I should clarify. He's a 30 goal scorer who I believe has potential for 30+ and was on pace for such last year as well as this year. I could see Vegas as well but think we have a great chance to get him. I mean I do think we will be contenders in two years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BO_Scorvat said:

People have been saying this but is there going to be a bidding war on kane? I know he's putting up points but I'd say a solid 3 quarters of the league pass on him just from his past off ice issues, I'm thinking 4 years at 5 million, or 5 years at 4.5 

GOod luck with that he's getting six plus easily 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I don't dispute his hardnosed play would be a benefit to our team, but I wouldnt call him elite at all.  You mention his points would lead the Canucks:

1) He hasnt played like this for a long time.  I dont think its any coincidence this is a contract year for him.  I bet the moment he gets a new contract his play will decline.  He's a me-first guy... not a team guy.

2) To expand on his historical points (which is a far better indicator than his current season)  he commonly gets about .6 ppg or something like that.  We already have developing players who are capable of that, and its quite a distance from an elite player in scoring. In fact, his prior season points were good for 142nd and 207th.  Average that out to about 175th.  Considering 30 teams with 3 first line players, thats 90.  2nd line players included thats 180.  So in terms of scoring, he's typically bottom of the barrel when it comes to top six players.  It could be argued it isnt quite as bad as it seems due to injuries, but that then leads me to...

3) Hes injury prone.  Hes never played a full season and I haven't done the math but it appears he misses about 18-20 games a season.  This will likely get worse as he ages. The stats I mentioned in #2 also take other players injuries into account.

4) His toi this season is far and above any forward we currently have.  His ice time and therefore points would be noticeably lower in Greens system of rolling 4 lines.

5) You know he wont be interested in hometown discounts so he will come at a high salary.

6) Besides all this, I just don't like the guy.  The drama that tends to surround him and his showoff antics doesn't embody the kind of player I want to cheer for.  Any distraction on or off the ice hurts the team overall so that should be considered a factor imo.

Honestly, the only positive is that he's going to be a UFA and can be had for free.  Other than that, there are just too many reasons NOT to pick him up.

Look. I know why people are high on Kane.  He's pretty exciting and brings a lot of grit that we are lacking.  Hometown boy is a great story too.  I just don't see him as the answer.  If we did pick him up the best we could hope for is a situation like Ferland in Calgary.  A guy who is clearly less talented than his teammates but has chemistry and the physical game to "work" on the line anyway.  That is, however, a statistical rarity.

The UFA we need is Tavares.  Move Pettersson to the wing. 

1) I don't have any exact quotes or numbers to back this up but I heard it on 650 or 1040 at some point in the last bit. The talking heads were saying since coming back from his injury he was I believe 2nd in 5v5 points behind Mathews, I think? Again don't quote me I could be wrong, but if that's correct I would say roughly a year of solid play could show growth in a young player. Not saying he will always have those numbers, but I think it would be reasonable to predict him at a 60-70 point player into his prime years.

2) If he was a pure offensive player I would agree. He bring more to his line then just a good pass or shot. He brings physicality. On a top line with 2 seemingly elite players I think what he brings is perfect.

3) See! He's all ready a canuck haha. Kidding aside. Good point. With his physical game he could miss game later in his career for sure.

4) very fair, great point.

5) You don't know that. Vancouver is a gorgeous city and his home town. He very well could want to come home. But he also seems to love money.. that's a toss up.

6) Agreed. It's risky. He seems to have grow up recently though. Maybe being home would help him mature further, maybe being a celebrity in his own town could ruin him. It's a risky situation, but one I would be willing to take for his skill set.

You make alot of great points, but I still want him. I think he would be a fantstic  addition to the cup winning team JB is building.That being said, if we could sign Tavares instead... sign me up for that! 

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ohmy said:

That must be based on his off ice antics I assume. Otherwise he's exactly what this team needs. Fast, powerful, tough, 30+ goal scorer, young, vancouver boy, and in his prime. Seems to have matured and worked through his troubles. I would have him on my team. 

Not worth causing a disruption when we have so many young guys developing habits (good or bad) 

• Cheers 1

Well, I would sign him, put in a behavior clause in his contract, and call it a day..............

He is a free asset, and worth 6 to 7 million a year...........

But! If he becomes a distraction, you cancel his contract for failure to abide by the terms........

On another note......he is a more mature man, that will live in the same community as his family

I would have his bonus's back end loaded on a 5 year deal, cap remains the same, but he gets paid big at the end.....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I don't dispute his hardnosed play would be a benefit to our team, but I wouldnt call him elite at all.  You mention his points would lead the Canucks:

1) He hasnt played like this for a long time.  I dont think its any coincidence this is a contract year for him.  I bet the moment he gets a new contract his play will decline.  He's a me-first guy... not a team guy.

2) To expand on his historical points (which is a far better indicator than his current season)  he commonly gets about .6 ppg or something like that.  We already have developing players who are capable of that, and its quite a distance from an elite player in scoring. In fact, his prior season points were good for 142nd and 207th.  Average that out to about 175th.  Considering 30 teams with 3 first line players, thats 90.  2nd line players included thats 180.  So in terms of scoring, he's typically bottom of the barrel when it comes to top six players.  It could be argued it isnt quite as bad as it seems due to injuries, but that then leads me to...

3) Hes injury prone.  Hes never played a full season and I haven't done the math but it appears he misses about 18-20 games a season.  This will likely get worse as he ages. The stats I mentioned in #2 also take other players injuries into account.

4) His toi this season is far and above any forward we currently have.  His ice time and therefore points would be noticeably lower in Greens system of rolling 4 lines.

5) You know he wont be interested in hometown discounts so he will come at a high salary.

6) Besides all this, I just don't like the guy.  The drama that tends to surround him and his showoff antics doesn't embody the kind of player I want to cheer for.  Any distraction on or off the ice hurts the team overall so that should be considered a factor imo.

Honestly, the only positive is that he's going to be a UFA and can be had for free.  Other than that, there are just too many reasons NOT to pick him up.

Look. I know why people are high on Kane.  He's pretty exciting and brings a lot of grit that we are lacking.  Hometown boy is a great story too.  I just don't see him as the answer.  If we did pick him up the best we could hope for is a situation like Ferland in Calgary.  A guy who is clearly less talented than his teammates but has chemistry and the physical game to "work" on the line anyway.  That is, however, a statistical rarity.

The UFA we need is Tavares.  Move Pettersson to the wing. 

Pettersson's a natural centre, and thrives in that position. Such a waste to move him to wing. IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d have to check but it may very well be unprecedented, if Elias were to win the Guldhjälmen at age 19 and as an SHL rookie.

Forsberg comes to mind, but he was already age 20 and 21 when he won the award back-to-back in his D+2 and D+3 seasons (which I believe were his 3rd and 4th seasons in that league).

I don't know if you posted it already but the 5 guys within 5 points of him right now range in age from 26 to 33 with only 1 under 30. Thats kind of impressive on its own too. 

I hope the Aqulini's don't get stingy with the signing bonus :P i kid, I think they'll be happy to shell out for this player.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Pettersson's a natural centre, and thrives in that position. Such a waste to move him to wing. IMHO.

He is currently slaughtering the SHL as a winger. He's currently playing the best hockey of his young career, one could argue he thrives on the wing. While I too hope he develops into our franchise center, I won't loose sleep at night if he finalizes as a winger (as long as we aquire a 1C one way or another)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looks like its forsberg as the closest comparison so your right.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Well he's the leagues top scorer on the leagues top team so if this pace keeps up I would say his odds to win it are very good.  He will miss some time for the WJHC though so we will have to see what other players in the SHL do while he's gone and how he responds when he comes back.  Also we will see how his SHL team fairs without him in the lineup for a few weeks 

When Rodin won it he missed considerable time due to injury, but he was on if the best points per game players that year which was a big factor as to why he won. I’d say if pettersson plays at least 40 games and maintains above 1.20 ppg he is in serious contention of winning

• Cheers 1