Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i hear your sentiments

but do not really agree

when we have a quality team in place

say in 3 or more years

it is at that time a risky contract can be considered to put the team over the top

it is foolish to risk torpedoing a rebuild by adding such a contract now

as we really do not know what the needs of the team will be when it is really ready to compete

the rebuild has to happen without these additional savior / long shot hope type players

that is the reason why the loui contract is most criticized

jb over reached a bit on him to try to get this team back into the playoffs

he may still pan out but he really is not a good fit for this rebuild

but... (of course there's a 'but') timing is key here. Lets say EP makes the team next year for sake of argument. By the time his ELC is done Loui will be in his last year, so if he has bottomed out he's easily bought out at that point. Kane would only be 1/2 way through his deal so yes that one would be problematic. 

I can see both sides of it, Kane brings a lot to the table though and if we don't get it via free agency I don't see anyone yet in the system with his entire skill set, maybe Gadjovich? 

I disagree though on Loui not being good for the rebuild. Young players need good veterans to learn from and stabilize lines, and Loui fills that role very well. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but... (of course there's a 'but') timing is key here. Lets say EP makes the team next year for sake of argument. By the time his ELC is done Loui will be in his last year, so if he has bottomed out he's easily bought out at that point. Kane would only be 1/2 way through his deal so yes that one would be problematic. 

I can see both sides of it, Kane brings a lot to the table though and if we don't get it via free agency I don't see anyone yet in the system with his entire skill set, maybe Gadjovich? 

I disagree though on Loui not being good for the rebuild. Young players need good veterans to learn from and stabilize lines, and Loui fills that role very well. 

we will just have to disagree on loui

i like him as a player

but a player like vanek has had a bigger impact this year modeling the game for younger players

dorsett had a bigger impact.. ask bo about the modeling provided to him by dorsett

sundin was very influential, on the development of the sedins and kesler

and he was paid 1 year only by the team

loui was singed to help and prolong the impact of the sedins

i think you are trying to change the narrative about him now

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

we will just have to disagree on loui

i like him as a player

but a player like vanek has had a bigger impact this year modeling the game for younger players

dorsett had a bigger impact.. ask bo about the modeling provided to him by dorsett

sundin was very influential, on the development of the sedins and kesler

and he was paid 1 year only by the team

loui was singed to help and prolong the impact of the sedins

i think you are trying to change the narrative about him now

no, I'm not. He was always expected to bring a lot of defensive responsibility. He did bring that even through the non-production time. That is very valuable for young player development. We've seen what happens on a team like Edmonton over the years when you have lines of kids, they can get eaten alive defensively. 

A line of say Dahlen-Pettersson-Loui would be much harder to play against than Dahlen-Petterson-Goldy. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Loui was brought in and paid for both his elite defensive game and a career long "automatic" 50-55 points a year.   He wasn't either last year.  So far in the games he has played this year, is both of those things (playing an impactfully responsible game and on pace for 50-55 points).   You get the next four and 1/2 seasons of what he has done so far this year from Loui and all things are just fine given he also adds a lot of leadership/mentorship and is apparently one of the more well-liked guys in the entire league.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i hear your sentiments

but do not really agree

when we have a quality team in place

say in 3 or more years

it is at that time a risky contract can be considered to put the team over the top

it is foolish to risk torpedoing a rebuild by adding such a contract now

as we really do not know what the needs of the team will be when it is really ready to compete

the rebuild has to happen without these additional savior / long shot hope type players

that is the reason why the loui contract is most criticized

jb over reached a bit on him to try to get this team back into the playoffs

he may still pan out but he really is not a good fit for this rebuild

Can you expand on why you would say it would be torpedoing the rebuild? Just curious.

I really don't think that Kane and Tavares are long shot hope type players...

Honestly, just interested.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just imagine actually getting some luck and landing 1st overall.

Draft Dahlin, sign Tavares. Rebuild complete and let the cups roll in B)

we would be lucky to land just one of them...landing both of them would be similar to finding living species on Pluto. Out of all the possibilities, we would have a higher chance of signing Tavares at this point than drafting Dahlin, knowing our luck with the draft lotto.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

we would be lucky to land just one of them...landing both of them would be similar to finding living species on Pluto. Out of all the possibilities, we would have a higher chance of signing Tavares at this point than drafting Dahlin, knowing our luck with the draft lotto.

Everyone knows the Oilers are going to win the draft.

• Cheers 1