The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Don't have too much to say about Petterson since I was mainly watching the Czechs (they're my '2nd team' this year), but people on HF say that his center, Linus Lindstrom, is one of the least talented centers on the team and isn't a good fit for the line. Also nobody on HF had anything bad to say about Petterson.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Guy has 9 shots on goal, goes bar down on one of them, after scoring in the first game as well, and your worried about when his shots come?  Power plays are part of the game as well.  This is a tough tournament, players rarely dominate all aspects of it.  I don't know what some people's expectations of Petterson are, but they are likely far too high.

Yes, but PPs make up only a fraction of the actual game.

Was disappointed in EPs performance today. Want to see him more noticeable and engaged 5-5. So sue me. *shrugs*

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Was disappointed in EPs performance today. Want to see him more noticeable and engaged 5-5. So sue me. *shrugs*

Yes, he normally plays better 5v5 than he played today. You can watch his last game shift-by-shift and see the difference yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Yes, he normally plays better 5v5 than he played today. You can watch his last game shift-by-shift and see the difference yourself. 

Yeah, he looks loads better here. Thanks for posting this. Tells me his performance today did have a lot to do with his illness.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I only watched the last half of the 2nd and all of the third and I get what you have been saying.  I didn't see him the lineup for long period of time and decided the coach was sitting him, due to illness.  That would make sense, as the early games aren't as tough as the later ones, so better to have him rested for the important ones.  I've seen him in a few of the Swedish games and he always seems to be visible and big threat on the ice.

Really, I can't imagine trying to play championship hockey while getting over the flu bug.  His energy must be zapped.  Hopefully he is on the tail end of it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Although he may not of had his extra step offensively today 5v5, I think he played a smart defensive game out there which bodes well for him transitioning to centre eventually. 

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, he looks loads better here. Thanks for posting this. Tells me his performance today did have a lot to do with his illness.

Yeah seems the illness took some of his energy away, as his last game was quite dominant and he was arguably one of the best players on the ice. I've caught a few of his games for Vaxjo and his last game was much more what he plays like normally.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Yeah seems the illness took some of his energy away, as his last game was quite dominant and he was arguably one of the best players on the ice. I've caught a few of his games for Vaxjo and his last game was much more what he plays like normally.

That's good to hear. Honestly, it's what I was hoping to hear from someone keeping better tabs on EP than I am (I don't get much chance to watch any of his SHL games, so I basically just stat watch).

I still do worry about his linemates here though. It just doesn't seem like they have much chemistry. I might even contemplate switching EP to center. Might compliment his playmaking abilities a bit more.

40 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's good to hear. Honestly, it's what I was hoping to hear from someone keeping better tabs on EP than I am (I don't get much chance to watch any of his SHL games, so I basically just stat watch).

I still do worry about his linemates here though. It just doesn't seem like they have much chemistry. I might even contemplate switching EP to center. Might compliment his playmaking abilities a bit more.

Yeah, apparently his centre is one of Swedens worst, so I'm hoping the coach makes a change there because they don't seem to have chemistry. I wouldn't mind seeing him with Andersson, or EP being C for the top line.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If Pettersson turns out to be a merely "decent" 5v5 player but puts up 5 SOG per game and a PPG and/or assist every second game, I doubt there'd be many complaints.

• Upvote 1