The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

23 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You do know that he has been killing it 5x5 in SEL all year and did same in the first game of this tournament?   You did know that he has the flu and it may well have impacted his 5x5 today but even if it did not, you raise an overall concern based upon one game?    These kids are under enough of a microscope that even with him right up there in leading the entire tournament in scoring, having a (year to date) a historic year for a kid that age in SEL and having had most analysts of credibility ooze praise on him - isn't he allowed a bad game even if he didn't have the flu?   Isn't it encouraging versus disappointing that he scores a goal in a game where he wasn't his best?

Forgive me, oh one true CDC god for my brief lapse in judgement. I beg your forgiveness for having the audacity to criticize the game of one of our prospects, whom are all incapable of having a bad game. And also forgive me for not making it more apparent that I was aware he had the flu. Making several posts stating that I was aware he had the flu most certainly wasn't enough. I should have made several dozen, all bolded, all in bright colors so as to make sure that the great CDC god was made aware. 

It shan't happen again.

@Biasbieksa @Boudrias @gerry35 @Whorvat @SamJamIam @Caknuckle Puck @TheOgRook @WonderTwinPowers l0fb.gif

edit: Keep the negs coming! Only need 4219 more to get me in the red!

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

He's ridiculously smart out there, on both ends of the ice.

Elias didn't have a bad game for those thinking that. The Czechs took over that game and were pretty dominant after the 1st period. Not a lot of chances for Elias to shine. He did however shine defensively creating a lot of turnovers. 

Love watching this kid play. 

You bring up a great point. The Czechs played very aggressive in the 2nd and 3rd and put the Swedes on their heels. The team on the other side of the ice had much to do with poor play of Sweden and our young superstar. They took out Russia and had dominant parts in that game yesterday. and look like a dark horse in the race so far.

29 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Forgive me, oh one true CDC god for my brief lapse in judgement. I beg your forgiveness for having the audacity to criticize the game of one of our prospects, whom are all incapable of having a bad game. And also forgive me for not making it more apparent that I was aware he had the flu. Making several posts stating that I was aware he had the flu most certainly wasn't enough. I should have made several dozen, all bolded, all in bright colors so as to make sure that the great CDC god was made aware. 

It shan't happen again.

@Biasbieksa l0fb.gif

srcstc.gif

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

:goat:

You'll be glad to know that someone linked me a video of all of his shifts from the Belarus game and I could tell he was miles better when healthy. Chalk this one up to illness and hope he feels better soon.

:goat:B)

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You do know that he has been killing it 5x5 in SEL all year and did same in the first game of this tournament?   You did know that he has the flu and it may well have impacted his 5x5 today but even if it did not, you raise an overall concern based upon one game?    These kids are under enough of a microscope that even with him right up there in leading the entire tournament in scoring, having a (year to date) a historic year for a kid that age in SEL and having had most analysts of credibility ooze praise on him - isn't he allowed a bad game even if he didn't have the flu?   Isn't it encouraging versus disappointing that he scores a goal in a game where he wasn't his best?

I recently mentioned it but ppl had the same concerns about Boeser after last years WJC (including me) 

One tourney will not make or break a kids career or be the absolute indicator of success or failure. It is simply more data to help with projections. We've seen Hodgson lead tourney in scoring, same with Schroeder but no NHL success. We've seen Boeser mediocre but having one of the best rookie seasons ever in the NHL. WJC is just one week of hockey and there could be so many different factors as to why certain players look better than others. (ice time, line mates, injury /illness) 

What's funny is that Petterson has still looked good every game and has been a positive contributor. Him Dahlin and Nylander are the guys the team leans on and Sweden looks like they will be in the medal rounds this year. 

I'd say that's pretty good news for a 5th overall pick that people were unsure about.. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

I think people are forgetting that Pettersson is used to playing against men in the SHL but is also used to playing with men.  He is used to guys that may not always be the most talented but are well practiced at their roles.  In the defensize zone he expects his teammates to win their board battles, make smart passes and allow him to escape the zone.  It just so happens Brannstrom and Nylander aren't too good at that.  They easily get hemmed in which leaves Pettersson waiting high in the zone and looking like a floater.

Same in the offensive zone.  Even though he was easily the best offensive player on the ice, he was making a lot of plays to set up other players who would not use the opportunities he was creating.  He must have placed perfect passes to Nylander two dozen times expecting a one timer and not once did Nylander capitalize on the goalie's movement.  It's infuriating to watch but must be even more so for Elias since he's used to having a player on the opposite wind that is willing to shoot on the PP.  His points totals in this tournament would be unreal if he had a player like Dahlen to work with.

This. Cant wit to see him and Boeser together.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It shan't happen again.

@Biasbieksa @Boudrias @gerry35 @Whorvat l0fb.gif

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

On 2017-06-24 at 3:09 AM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Hopefully he produces more than a 0.5 ppg... he was nearly 1ppg in tier two.  

Joined this thread reading from about page 100, now i decided to read up from The start, fun to see expectations get shattered by Pettersson making over 1PPG, as a Timrå- and Canucksfan i hope Filip Hållander Will be picked in The second round this draft.. 6'1" 185lbs and making a better U18 season than Pettersson fearless power-forward that you just have to love! Check him up at Youtube and eliteprospects! http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=293387

Edited by ForzaTikare
Swedish autocorrect :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Joined this thread reading from about page 100, now i decided to read up from The start, fun to see expectations get shattered by Pettersson making over 1PPG, as a Timrå- and Canucksfan i hope Filip Hållander Will be picked in The second round this draft.. 6'1" 185lbs and making a better U18 season than Pettersson fearless power-forward that you just have to love! Check him up at Youtube and eliteprospects! http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=293387

I’m a big fan of Hållander and would love to see us take him in the second round.

That’s if he’s still on the board when we make our second pick. I could actually see him being gone before the end of the 1st round.

Watched him a fair amount with Timrå this season (while following Dahlén) and he’s been very impressive. He reminds me a bit of Richard Rakell, and can see similar upside for Hållander.

Also like the fact he’s a W/C (like Rakell) and could see him eventually playing either position (although he’s mostly playing wing right now).

12 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

I think people are forgetting that Pettersson is used to playing against men in the SHL but is also used to playing with men.  He is used to guys that may not always be the most talented but are well practiced at their roles.  In the defensize zone he expects his teammates to win their board battles, make smart passes and allow him to escape the zone.  It just so happens Brannstrom and Nylander aren't too good at that.  They easily get hemmed in which leaves Pettersson waiting high in the zone and looking like a floater.

Same in the offensive zone.  Even though he was easily the best offensive player on the ice, he was making a lot of plays to set up other players who would not use the opportunities he was creating.  He must have placed perfect passes to Nylander two dozen times expecting a one timer and not once did Nylander capitalize on the goalie's movement.  It's infuriating to watch but must be even more so for Elias since he's used to having a player on the opposite wind that is willing to shoot on the PP.  His points totals in this tournament would be unreal if he had a player like Dahlen to work with.

This is something I've been saying too, which is just like Brock: put elite players with good players and they'll thrive, but put them with players a step or two below and they will look almost mediocre as well. Brock is now in the NHL and crushing it. Once EP is as well, he will crush it even more than we've already seen in the SEL. 

I think OJ will be the same kind of progression once he makes the team and plays with NHL players (not that I think he's elite, but he's too good for playing with juniors). Once he's passing it to players that can take his crisp passes on a quick transition, he will stand out much more than he has the last two years. 

Core of Bo (two way force),  Brock (sniper) , EP (playmaker),  OJ (steady top 2 D)  and Demko (starting goalie) has the potential of a Cup-winning team one day. 

That's why I feel like Pettersson will be a winger at the NHL level. Just like the posters above said, Pettersson needs someone that gets the puck to his stick, much like Boeser. That is why I think a Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser line makes a whole lot of sense. Pettersson is the "playmaker" (we all know this kid can shoot the puck as good as Boeser, maybe even better), Horvat is our Brendan Morrison, and Boeser is goalscorer.

IMO, that is one helluva line that can do some serious damage. With Horvat being the glue that holds the line together.

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m a big fan of Hållander and would love to see us take him in the second round.

That’s if he’s still on the board when we make our second pick. I could actually see him being gone before the end of the 1st round.

Watched him a fair amount with Timrå this season (while following Dahlén) and he’s been very impressive. He reminds me a bit of Richard Rakell, and can see similar upside for Hållander.

Also like the fact he’s a W/C (like Rakell) and could see him eventually playing either position (although he’s mostly playing wing right now).

Yeah, ive felt like he should be a 20-30 overall watching him this season, geting him in 2nd round or even third could be steal of the year, as a 17 y/o playing The physical Game he does and completely fearless... Loved his postgame interview yesterday after 1 secondary assist and shootout decider, "Q: how can you be so respectless as a 17 year old against men?" 

"A: i dont believe in showing respect, i believe in showing skills" 

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Yeah, ive felt like he should be a 20-30 overall watching him this season, geting him in 2nd round or even third could be steal of the year, as a 17 y/o playing The physical Game he does and completely fearless... Loved his postgame interview yesterday after 1 secondary assist and shootout decider, "Q: how can you be so respectless as a 17 year old against men?" 

"A: i dont believe in showing respect, i believe in showing skills" 

Yeah, 20-30 is about where I rank him as well. Hopefully the other teams don’t end up liking him as much as we do. ;) 

Hållander is just so versatile and really seems to do everything well. Maybe not an elite talent in any one particular area but just seems to have a broad skill set where he’s kind of just really good at everything. I can’t see any significant weaknesses in his game. 

The only real criticism I’ve seen in the scouting reports is that he used to get labeled as “undersized.” But he seems to have grown around 5cm the past year or so and is now listed 185cm (6’1”) and around 85kg (187lbs), which is pretty good size for a 17-year-old. 

And he seems to still be growing. Looks even taller now (to my eyes) than he did earlier in the season. So he might very well end up being well above average size by the time he finishes growing and filling out.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

allmoooosstttt game time baby! Do we know if Elias is feeling any better from his flu like symtoms?

I can't find anywhere about this flu thing that's everyone is talking about. Might not be true. I mean if he had the flu, he wouldn't play.

Edited by Odd.