The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Dang. I was hoping he would finish the season playing center.

Yeah, him at center it seems like hasn't worked out. Not a great faceoff man either.

I mean if he really practices being center in the off-season and such and gains 20 more lbs, then yeah I could potentially see him as a center, but I don't think that's going to happen at this point. We're just going to have to consider him as a winger and that's fine.

Edited by Odd.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎02 at 10:48 AM, gurn said:

Daniel scoring at .798 per game

Henrik scoring at ..812 per game.

Daniel has missed more games, perhaps it took him a few games to get back in the groove after his returns to the ice?

EP played fie at center. But with his one timer from the right side it makes sense to have him on the right side. Unbelievable how good his one timer is. Something you want him doing during a game. When he comes to Vancouver he will be as good as player as their is. Franchise players havn't existed since Mario or Wayne. Its pretty sad when we call franchise players a player who is top ten in NHL scoring or wins the scoring race by 3 points. When a player wins it by 30 or 40 then you have a franchise player. McDavid is an elite player. Matthews is an elite player Crosby is an elite player as with many more. Teams hope a franchise player comes their way, but it seldom happens. Then as soon as they get a player whom they dee as a franchise player they over pay them they try to trade them away as soon as they realize that they are just a lil better than the other teams player but not worth 4 million more. Just wait Edmonton will be offering McDavid in a couple years. And my bet is you wouldn't trade EP straight up for him. Both not franchise players. Maybe Subban is a franchise player, Look at how Montreal is doing without him.

30 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP's straight ahead speed is above average...it's his edge-work and core-strength/balance that needs the work

I agree with straight ahead speed above average.  I would agree if you mentioned upper body strength, and all including me know he needs weight!  

I disagree, quite strongly, with edgework, balance, core strength. You absolutely cannot go side to side, dangle, dash, pop one way, then the next? Without balance, edgework, core strength. Hold guys off, then do wraparounds. He has all these things in spades. 

29 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I agree with straight ahead speed above average.  I would agree if you mentioned upper body strength, and all including me know he needs weight!  

I disagree, quite strongly, with edgework, balance, core strength. You absolutely cannot go side to side, dangle, dash, pop one way, then the next? Without balance, edgework, core strength. Hold guys off, then do wraparounds. He has all these things in spades. 

Ya I'm thinking about all the flailing around on the ice he can get into...diving to try to swat a puck away, instead of using speed and edgework to get to the puck...as well as the amount of times he gets pushed around on the boards...it seemed that core strength might be the issue...regardless ...like you say he needs a few more pounds of muscle here and there....

• Upvote 1

Pettersson plays more RW than LW right? I'm wondering because Boeser is a RWer, so they might not play together even strength if Pettersson is as well. Although they'll probably play together on the powerplay regardless - Boeser on the left side, and Pettersson on the right side.

This is also important for the draft, because Svechnikov is a RWer. So if we get him we'd be absolutely stacked down the RW. But Zadina is a LWer, and Tkachuck is a LWer but plays some center. So do we go for the RW depth our try to balance our top six?

Or do we hope that Pettersson is a center?

3 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Pettersson plays more RW than LW right? I'm wondering because Boeser is a RWer, so they might not play together even strength if Pettersson is as well. Although they'll probably play together on the powerplay regardless - Boeser on the left side, and Pettersson on the right side.

This is also important for the draft, because Svechnikov is a RWer. So if we get him we'd be absolutely stacked down the RW. But Zadina is a LWer, and Tkachuck is a LWer but plays some center. So do we go for the RW depth our try to balance our top six?

Pettersson can play all three forward spots.  On the PP, he will play on the right side, and Brock will play on the left, leaving Bo as net front.  

I think we get Dhalin in the coming draft.  

4 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I’m sure they’d all be just as effective playing on their off wing! Boeser is a right handed shot him being a sniper he might actually be better coming down the left wing. Give him more net to shoot at.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pettersson can play all three forward spots.  On the PP, he will play on the right side, and Brock will play on the left, leaving Bo as net front.  

I know he plays all forward spots, but he seems to be most comfortable on the RW, seeing that's where the coach puts him most of the time. 
I'm praying we get Dahlin.

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m sure they’d all be just as effective playing on their off wing! Boeser is a right handed shot him being a sniper he might actually be better coming down the left wing. Give him more net to shoot at.

Playing on your off wing usually works best on the powerplay. In the neutral and defensive zones, it's good to have your stick along the boards, so most players play on their natural wing in even strength. 

This seems to be true for Boeser, but Pettersson puts up points wherever he plays. 

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Well according to button he is ELITE ELITE 

So double elite I believe this translates to franchise potential, haha but doesn't want to come out and say franchise just in case it doesn't translate to NHL quickly 

That's how I read it too. Elite of the elite, kinda like best of the best. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I know he plays all forward spots, but he seems to be most comfortable on the RW, seeing that's where the coach puts him most of the time. 
I'm praying we get Dahlin.

Maybe we should get Pettersson’s coach here.  Jake is way more comfortable on the left side, and much better there too.  Yet, our coach keeps forcing Jake to play on the right side.  What if our coach tries to force Pettersson into a spot he’s not comfortable, like he’s doing with Jake?

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

...Bettman leaked something to you?....as long as he is the guy I don't see it happening...but it has been almost 50 years now so maybe...just maybe....we can be #1....

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we should get Pettersson’s coach here.  Jake is way more comfortable on the left side, and much better there too.  Yet, our coach keeps forcing Jake to play on the right side.  What if our coach tries to force Pettersson into a spot he’s not comfortable, like he’s doing with Jake?

Green keeps Virtanen on the right side cause he works best as a puck hound, at this stage in his career. 
Hopefully he starts unleashing that hard shot of his more, but when he does it always sails over the net. I'm not sure a change to the left side would remedy that. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Green keeps Virtanen on the right side cause he works best as a puck hound, at this stage in his career. 
Hopefully he starts unleashing that hard shot of his more, but when he does it always sails over the net. I'm not sure a change to the left side would remedy that. 

Jake’s best scoring comes from the left side.  Many of his goals come from there, off the rush.  He sees the ice better too.  It’s normal to be more comfortable on the left side for some right shot guys.  Their body is open to the middle.  It’s just a lot easier to see what’s going on.  

Wonder if they'll be able to run a line like Gadjovich - Pettersson - Virtanen (hope all three can grow into what Boston had with Lucic - Krejci - Horton).

With his skill-set and some hard-nosed doggedness (as noted in the scouting report) lining him up with two power forwards would make for a line that's very tough to play against.  Jonah in the crease with Elias picking corners on poor, screened goalies would be awesome, and hopefully he can also set Jake up and help him realize his scoring upside too.  Plus just imagine those two wingers crashing in on the forecheck and the havoc they can wreak.

Sven - Bo - Brock (they can already carry the load offensively, let them keep working their magic)

Jonah - Elias - Jake (let them abuse the secondary defensive units)

Edited by Phil_314

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake’s best scoring comes from the left side.  Many of his goals come from there, off the rush.  He sees the ice better too.  It’s normal to be more comfortable on the left side for some right shot guys.  Their body is open to the middle.  It’s just a lot easier to see what’s going on.  

I know, but a lot of those goals come after a neutral zone switch. Virtanen uses his speed to cross the neutral zone, and be open to an outlet pass from one of the defensemen, before careening up the wing and using that hard shot of his. I think he is best used in this way because he covers so much ground quickly with his speed, and it's easier for a defenseman to pass to someone skating perpendicular to him. What would really help Virtanen is a center that can keep up with him. Hopefully Pettersson can be that guy. 

Edited by NaveJoseph

Man, I just remembered that Kole Lind is a RWer. Imagine this depth down the right side:

Boeser

Pettersson

Svechnikov
Lind
Virtanen
:mellow:

Hopefully Pettersson turns into a 1st line center--and we get Dahlin--but that is scary. 

Edited by NaveJoseph