The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

15 hours ago, bp79 said:

I have to Agree. If someone were to write down exactly what Makes A generational player A few things on the list would have to include  1 A Stanley cup Gretz dido Mario, Dido, Crosby, Dido I could go further back but let's keep it to the 80,s 90.s and present. Connor no cup and just my 2 cents but I don't see him as the kind of guy that will be able to elevate his team or carry them on his back. Reason #2 skill There is no doubt he is friggin elite and any team would be better with him. But come on Are we gonna sit here and say this guy is on the same level as the great one? Are we gonna say he is as good as A guy who dominated the league, gets Cancer comes back and still continues to dominate! Or how about Sid and his million cups or this NHL All-Rookie Team, 2 Art Ross Trophy’s, 2 Maurice “Rocket” Richard trophies, 3 Ted Lindsey awards, 2 Hart Memorial Trophies, 4 NHL first all-star team, 3 NHL second all-star team, 6 all-star selections, 2 Mark Messier Leadership awards, 4 Prince of Wales trophies, 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Conn Smythes, 2 Olympic Gold medals, World Championship Gold medal, World Cup of Hockey Gold medal, and 8 ESPY awards. Pretty much everything you can win in hockey. My point is. That maybe he will live up to all the hype, but how do you call someone 10trh in scoring Who was the 4th best player on the Oilers epic collapse in the SCP last A generational player. Guys like mark Spectre need to tone it down A bit. will he be that guy one day? Maybe but he isn't right now CHEERS

PS as of right now Austin is showing what A true leader on and off the ice is. Never whines never takes penalties. Plus has the Toronto media like putty in his hand. If I had to choose one right now to build A team around it's him. And I friggin hate the Laughs

Exactly how I feel. But in much smoother words. Double thumbs up.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, cory40 said:

Exactly how I feel. But in much smoother words. Double thumbs up.

I fully intended to be smooth and calm, but another poster puled A typical douche move and instead of giving facts decided to just bash me instead. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Cheers and have a great night or is it morning lol.

• Cheers 1

Might be grasping for straws here, there was a blog post on a Leafs site before the draft last year where someone gushed about Pettersson. It was a pretty long post with a lot advanced stats in there... just wondering if anyone else has seen it before or could post a link for me. Thanks in advance... or not... either way, Pettersson is pretty awesome

7 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

Might be grasping for straws here, there was a blog post on a Leafs site before the draft last year where someone gushed about Pettersson. It was a pretty long post with a lot advanced stats in there... just wondering if anyone else has seen it before or could post a link for me. Thanks in advance... or not... either way, Pettersson is pretty awesome

Ive seen it. Good article on how he was the only elite talent available. Will try and find it for you. Think it was on the pension plan puppets website

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

Canucks army had a good pre-draft write-up on him.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/15/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-5-elias-pettersson/

8 minutes ago, wexcar said:

Thanks, I'm familiar with that write up. This other post was pretty glowing. Said it should be called the Elias Pettersson draft, wanted the leafs to trade up to get him. I have a buddy that's a Leaf fan and I kinda want to throw it in his face a bit.

13 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

Thanks, I'm familiar with that write up. This other post was pretty glowing. Said it should be called the Elias Pettersson draft, wanted the leafs to trade up to get him. I have a buddy that's a Leaf fan and I kinda want to throw it in his face a bit.

It was posted earlier in the thread. Probably within the first 50 pages or so.

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It was posted earlier in the thread. Probably within the first 50 pages or so.

Yeah that's where I think I found it in the first place, cant seem to find it now though. Was trying to go through it earlier but was getting annoyed by all the people being pissed that we didn't take Glass or Vilardi.

22 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

Yeah that's where I think I found it in the first place, cant seem to find it now though. Was trying to go through it earlier but was getting annoyed by all the people being pissed that we didn't take Glass or Vilardi.

Was it this?

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/5/28/15706426/elias-pettersson-and-the-myth-of-the-two-horse-race

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Too funny -- while the PBP guy is going, the colour guy keeps making sound effects and comments, "ugh... come on...", as if he's a fan in the stands.

That's the Northeastern game and from the Adam Gaudette thread but yeah. That's some expert colour commentary right there. *groan* *sigh* Oh No! :lol:

I sure hope this article is right Because I have been calling EP a generational talent since he was drafted. And my bet that had we won the draft lottery JB would have selected him anyways. This balances out the dishonest front office at NHL headquarters. Imagine how hard it will be to not call penalties when EP is dangling defensemen and they are hanging on. He reminds me of Pavel Bure with his shot. And one thing I noticed is he takes pucks at high speed knocking the passes down in a controlled fashion, also like Pavel Bure. His ability to pass may be better than any of the current players in the NHL, That's bold but I am saying it. I have watched most of McDavids games and I feel this is one skill he lacks. Many of McDavids plays happen when he is away with speed passing through open zones. As soon as zones close on McDavid he has a glaring weakness passing through playes, often high and hard to handle. McDavid makes up for this with his speed. Probably never having to force passes until he got to the NHL. I could see EP leading the NHL in points and few players could lead in Goals and lead in Assists. I wonder if that will ever happen again? But if it does EP has the skillset.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/17/2018 at 12:27 AM, canuckledraggin said:

Nice article. Thanks for finding it.

27 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I sure hope this article is right Because I have been calling EP a generational talent since he was drafted. And my bet that had we won the draft lottery JB would have selected him anyways. This balances out the dishonest front office at NHL headquarters. Imagine how hard it will be to not call penalties when EP is dangling defensemen and they are hanging on. He reminds me of Pavel Bure with his shot. And one thing I noticed is he takes pucks at high speed knocking the passes down in a controlled fashion, also like Pavel Bure. His ability to pass may be better than any of the current players in the NHL, That's bold but I am saying it. I have watched most of McDavids games and I feel this is one skill he lacks. Many of McDavids plays happen when he is away with speed passing through open zones. As soon as zones close on McDavid he has a glaring weakness passing through playes, often high and hard to handle. McDavid makes up for this with his speed. Probably never having to force passes until he got to the NHL. I could see EP leading the NHL in points and few players could lead in Goals and lead in Assists. I wonder if that will ever happen again? But if it does EP has the skillset.

Good post.

Assuming that Pettersson is indeed the best forward to come out of 2017, I wonder how he stacks up against the two best forwards drafted in 2015 and 2016 (McDavid and Matthews).

In my opinion, it goes something like this:

Shot: Matthews > Pettersson > McDavid

Passing: Pettersson > Matthews > McDavid

Ability to generate scoring chances: McDavid >>> Matthews >> Pettersson

Skating: McDavid >>> Matthews > Pettersson

As you said, McDavid is not an elite passer, probably due to the fact that he did not have to thread a pass in his junior years. He had a real good linemate in junior (Strome) who can beat defenceman to get open and finish plays unlike now, where some of his linemates can't receive a pass. But yeah, his speed, acceleration, change of direction makes it so difficult to defend. A player that can generate chances on his own out of thin air. Pettersson has better pass, vision, and shot than McDavid but in terms of generating his own chances, EP is far behind. EP will get his points on PP for sure. But, on 5-on-5, Pettersson needs a puck hound as a linemate (Burrows type) that can create turnovers, so that EP can make plays and pounce on those turnovers.

Gaining the offensive zone is another potential issue I noticed from WJC. Once Sweden gained a zone, the puck almost always went to EP and he did his magic with the puck, making plays, dekeing out the defenceman, and so on. But EP was having a bit of trouble gaining the zone by himself against tougher opponents like Canada. I noticed that this task of gaining the zone was eased thanks in large part to Rasmus Dahlin, who had that ability as a defenceman to gain the zone all by himself like Doughty and Keith. Assuming we don't get Dahlin on Canucks, who is going to handle that duty? I think if EP is used as a winger, then it's not much of a concern since he can start on Horvat's wing along with Boeser as suggested by many people here: EP-Horvat-Boeser. But if we want EP to run his own scoring line? I don't know if a suitable candidate exists on the Canucks system at this point.

In comparison to Matthews, obviously, there is size difference. And Matthews shoots better than Pettersson, although Pettersson is no slouch either. I mean, Matthews shot is comparable to Boeser in the way he changes the angle, accuracy, and heaviness (although I think Boeser's shot is a bit heavier than Matthews). Matthews is an adept playmaker, better than McDavid but I think Pettersson wins here. Matthews does a bit better in terms of generating his own chances as well but different I think is marginal between EP and Matthews in this regards.

I think in the long run, as McDavid gets better linemates and as he refines his passing and shooting, McDavid will win many more scoring titles compared to EP and Matthews but it's not farfetched to think that EP will win a scoring title or two given that he will have Boeser as a linemate to finish the plays.

• Cheers 1