The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Interesting. Maybe we are a bit overzealous when it comes to Pettersson and his chances of making the team next season. If he is not physically ready, then we shouldn't rush him due to the chance of sustaining a career limiting injury. I think injuries sustained by RNH (shoulder area) in the first two seasons has severely limited him from reaching his full potential. We don't want the same for EP.

Forsberg and Sundin were indeed more complete players. I think Pettersson's offence is going to match or even surpass these two greats but other areas, he has a lot to grow before he can match them. Maybe it's not too bad to let him stay in Sweden one more season.

We will still get Dahlen to make the jump to the NHL.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Bang on! It will be a EP, management and coaching decision. Management thought it was OK for Joulevi to spend a year in Finland when I thought the Knights were the best option and Finland was the better decision. Nothing wrong with another year in the SHL if that is what is decided.  EP is said to be 6' 2" and 165 pounds. Was that at the beginning of the year and did he put weight on during the season? IMHO he should be 175 pounds to play NHL at a minimum. 

At that weight they had better play him with Archibald and Virtanen for protection. Just look at how they are going after Boeser now

People are targeting Boeser? I don't know if I would call a cross check and a clean hit every dozen games targeting. I can definitely imagine way worse. 

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Interesting. Maybe we are a bit overzealous when it comes to Pettersson and his chances of making the team next season. If he is not physically ready, then we shouldn't rush him due to the chance of sustaining a career limiting injury. I think injuries sustained by RNH (shoulder area) in the first two seasons has severely limited him from reaching his full potential. We don't want the same for EP.

Forsberg and Sundin were indeed more complete players. I think Pettersson's offence is going to match or even surpass these two greats but other areas, he has a lot to grow before he can match them. Maybe it's not too bad to let him stay in Sweden one more season.

We will still get Dahlen to make the jump to the NHL.

Good point on Nugent-Hopkins. Pettersson looks similar physically to the way he looked early in his career, which is really thin on the ice. I'd rather not limit the prime years of Pettersson's career with a bad shoulder that he injuries multiple times by being thrown around in his early years. 

That said, I'm not too sure where to put him next year. The AHL won't necessarily be a step down in physicality as it's still the North American ice, but he has nothing to prove in Sweden. Maybe lean towards the AHL since he'll acclimate himself to the culture, language, travel, etc. over here and possibly do it with his friend Dahlen. 

1 hour ago, khay said:

Difference being I doubt (I hope not anyway!) we foist him in to a heavy lifting, top line role against the best defenders/opposition right off the bat.

If he's even on the team he's starting in a depth offensive role IMO. Let Leip, Horvat and Boeser do the heavy lifting while he gets acclimated. 

I think the Canucks will do what is the best for him. Another year to get stronger would not hurt. I would however like to see him get a chance to play on the smaller ice. I would prefer Utica.

• Upvote 1

Well it’s obvious his coach now will say he’d benefit from staying because his team is better if Pettersson stays. There are plenty of players in the NHL that play at the same weight Pettersson is now. Ideally it’d be nice if we could bring him in slow but I honestly see him being one of our top 3 players in preseason. I don’t know how you tell the fans that one of the guys leading our team in preseason isn’t ready.

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Well it’s obvious his coach now will say he’d benefit from staying because his team is better if Pettersson stays. There are plenty of players in the NHL that play at the same weight Pettersson is now. Ideally it’d be nice if we could bring him in slow but I honestly see him being one of our top 3 players in preseason. I don’t know how you tell the fans that one of the guys leading our team in preseason isn’t ready.

Pettersson can make 200,000 thousand in Europe, or 2,000,000 (with meeting bonuses) in Vancouver.  He’s here next season.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd be pretty shocked if Gaudette at minimum wasn't on the team.

I would be shocked if we didn't have 3 prospects up, Gaudette, Pettersson, Juolevi. Plus who knows who we get this draft!

• Upvote 2

Just now, J-23 said:

I would be shocked if we didn't have 3 prospects up, Gaudette, Pettersson, Juolevi. Plus who knows who we get this draft!

Pettersson I have at 50/50'ish. I think OJ starts in Utica but gets call ups with injuries and after TDL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pettersson I have at 50/50'ish. I think OJ starts in Utica but gets call ups with injuries and after TDL.

I see Pettersson getting called up and playing LW. Juolevi depends on his game during camp.

Edited by J-23

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi depends just as much on his play as us clearing some of the logjam at LD

To be honest, our prospects are tearing it up in there leagues and I'm dying to see them play in the big league. Losing my patience a little. Can't wait to see our roster in a couple of years.

Edited by J-23

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

To be honest, our prospects are tearing it up in there leagues and I'm dying to see them play in the big league. Losing my patience a little. Can't wait to see our roster in a couple of years.

ddefe071c83e81042968c7b0e23abb04.png

• Like 1

Think he'll make the team. He's dominating in arguably the 3rd best league in the world but if he goes back to Sweden for another year it needs to be him playing Centre full time. Of course, that wouldn't be up to Canucks brass as they would have no control over his deployment so would rather see him in Utica if he can't crack the Canucks which I can't see happening.

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pettersson can make 200,000 thousand in Europe, or 2,000,000 (with meeting bonuses) in Vancouver.  He’s here next season.

:lol: too practical man.

Although kids today seem like they are ok to wait a bit. Boeser didn't seem in a huge hurry and wanted another college year.