The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Vilardi is a nice prospect, but his big issue is his skating. He would be nice to have, I'm glad we stayed clear though. This team is slow enough.

Unless he's significantly improved that aspect of his game this year.

Boeser and Horvat also had skating issues too and it didn't really hinder them at all. I think it's flawed logic.  I know what you're saying, we need more fast players in the line-up. Though, Pettersson, at least in my opinion, isn't a skater who will wow you with skating either but his raw skill talent.

I would rather have the guy who is very skilled with decent skating ability vs a speedy player with not much skill to keep up with. Though it would be cool to find a player that can breeze like the wind WITH the puck. Leipsic seems like our only forward that can do that.

45 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think they have 3 games remaining and Elias needs 3 points to tie Nilsson and 4 to take the outright lead alltime u20.

Gonna be tough to do because frolunda and Malmo are tough teams. 

38 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Boeser and Horvat also had skating issues too and it didn't really hinder them at all. I think it's flawed logic.  I know what you're saying, we need more fast players in the line-up. Though, Pettersson, at least in my opinion, isn't a skater who will wow you with skating either but his raw skill talent.

I would rather have the guy who is very skilled with decent skating ability vs a speedy player with not much skill to keep up with. Though it would be cool to find a player that can breeze like the wind WITH the puck. Leipsic seems like our only forward that can do that.

His skating will improve with strength. Pettersson that is.

Edited by Isam

50 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Vilardi is a nice prospect, but his big issue is his skating. He would be nice to have, I'm glad we stayed clear though. This team is slow enough.

Vilardi is a big and skilled.  When you have size and know how to use it you don't have to be an elite skater.  Glad we got Pettersson but Valardi was next on the list for sure

Just now, ForzaTikare said:

Last 3 games is 

@Frölunda

Vs Malmö 

@Linköping

Elias has now had a goal in last 4 games and is now in the scoring lead with 51p in 41 games (21+30)

Unreal year. What's the hype  over there on him? Is he starting to get insane coverage the close he gets to nilsson?

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What I am seeing is a far closer checking on Boeser. A hit and a cross check in the last 12 games is no where close to what he is experiencing. Stick work is constant and lots of elbows. 

I think, in the last month or two, we're also seeing the difference between college trained kids and kids from Jr.  The grind of a long season is definitely showing on Boeser, imo.

21 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Vilardi is a big and skilled.  When you have size and know how to use it you don't have to be an elite skater.  Glad we got Pettersson but Valardi was next on the list for sure

sadly, yes you do.  It's a smaller, quicker man's game now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Isam said:

Unreal year. What's the hype  over there on him? Is he starting to get insane coverage the close he gets to nilsson?

Honestly is not that hyped, The biggest newssite didnt even mention him passning Forsberg and there isnt really much about his chances to pass Nilsson.. I guess there Will be alot of writing IF he wins The scoring title and IF he passes Nilsson.. 

In The postgame interwiev today he got asked about The scoring title / passing Nilsson and he answered 

"of course it would be fun, but i dont really Care about that, what i Care about is winning The trophy with The team, not individual prizes" 

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ForzaTikare said:

Honestly is not that hyped, The biggest newssite didnt even mention him passning Forsberg and there isnt really much about his chances to pass Nilsson.. I guess there Will be alot of writing IF he wins The scoring title and IF he passes Nilsson.. 

In The postgame interwiev today he got asked about The scoring title and he answered 

"of course it would be fun, but i dont really Care about that, what i Care about is winning The trophy with The team, not individual prizes" 

It would hard to find a player to that would otherwise haha. 

16 hours ago, Russ said:

I just laughed so hard seeing you quote yourself hahahaha.  In fairness this pick did throw a lot of us off since a few mock drafts were guessing he would be closer to 8-10 range.  And with how much the Vancouver media at the time was absolutely pounding Glass/Vilardi down our throats, to see them draft someone else it caught a bunch off guard. 

I wanted Vilardi and I wasn't quiet about that at all.

In his first few days post draft I worried a lot about his ability to put weight on his frame, referenced the RNH experience with multiple shoulder injuries (one caused by Hank) 

But like in all things sat back let the dust settled and watched the tape.  

You can't teach what Petterson has no matter the size.  Surround him with 2 Semenko like guys in the AHL if we have to or two bruisers in the bigs and let him play

In The postgame interwiev today he got asked about The scoring title / passing Nilsson and he answered 

A very Scandinavian answer. No one person is bigger then the group. Forget the Swedish phrase for that.

Just now, Warhippy said:

I wanted Vilardi and I wasn't quiet about that at all.

In his first few days post draft I worried a lot about his ability to put weight on his frame, referenced the RNH experience with multiple shoulder injuries (one caused by Hank) 

But like in all things sat back let the dust settled and watched the tape.  

You can't teach what Petterson has no matter the size.  Surround him with 2 Semenko like guys in the AHL if we have to or two bruisers in the bigs and let him play

Gadjovich will most likely ride shotgun with him next year.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/Onm031/elias-pettersson-utokade-svit-i-ny-seger

Should be possible to Google translat this, 

Main points

Linköping coach: "hats off for Elias, you cant give him a second close to The net" 

Växjö coach: "i dont think there is any other played in the League Who would score there" 

Elias: "i dont know how big hole i got there, i feel extremely confident in hitting the top corners from close" 

Edited by ForzaTikare

5 minutes ago, Isam said:

A very Scandinavian answer. No one person is bigger then the group. Forget the Swedish phrase for that.

- Ingen är starkare än den svagaste länken

- Noone is stronger than the weakest link 

That one? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BananaMash said:

From what I've seen his skating has in fact improved.  He's tearing it up right now almost 2ppg since coming back from injury 

My biggest concern is that back injury, some of last year and half of this year out due to back issues at his age. No matter how much Getzlaf he may appear to be that back injury could make him a raymond with 1 bad hit

• Cheers 1

- Ingen är starkare än den svagaste länken

- Noone is stronger than the weakest link 

That one? 

I like swedish. It is pretty easy to understand. Now danish on the other hand is a whole other animal.

• Cheers 1