The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, appleboy said:

Every player is different and needs to be dealt with in a special way. I think fans see Boeser and Bo and think that every player will see the same trajectory. Just to get an idea of how good Boeser has been. I was watching the Devils game and Hall scored his thirtieth goal. Then they said that it was his first thirty goal season. I thought that they meant for the Devils but it was his first 30 goal campaign.

The problem with the Oilers is that they drafted virtually all high-scoring forwards and hardly any D with their high draft picks.  One of the deals there is that a great D may be on the ice for 25 to 28 minutes, and a high scoring forward, if he doesn't also penalty kill, might play 18-19 - guess who has a bigger effect on the game.  And what if that high scoring forward, as is often the case, doesn't play well in his own end?  He might get you ahead, but can you trust him to keep the lead?  The Doughtys, Keiths, Suters, etc. are effecting nearly half of the game and most of the critical times within the game.

When I look at our picks, I only see one high draft D, and the jury is out on him as to whether he can bring trying offensively to the NHL, and from what I saw in Penticton, there is a lot to be desired in his defensive game, as well.  He got walked a lot in Penticton.  I sure hope his game has improved, if it hasn't, we have a long wait until we are a contender.  We are late in accumulating quality D,and by the time we draft, let them get physically mature and develop them, our forwards might be past their prime.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I wanted Pettersson or Mittlestadt, but had discounted the possibility of Benning taking EP.  I was very, very pleasantly surprised at the time.

Funny seeing the meltdown that happened collectively once the pick was made.

:lol:  At one time I expected it to start raining fans from all the tall buildings down town... Funny that fans think the know better than a seasoned scout...

14 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’m not sure if I ended up saying anything stupid on here but I was freaking tf out when we picked EP. I wanted Vilardi but was expecting Glass. 

On the one hand I think a thirty minute or one hour freeze of posting on CDC might prevent many of us from looking like jackarses but on the other hand the pure emotional, flying off the handle reactions, a la the Shinkaruk trade, are gold. 

Lol. I was high on Pettersson, but knew why everyone wanted Glass. Everyone also freaked out when we picked Boeser instead of Nick Merkley. I was honestly clueless about Boeser ( as was almost everyone else )when he got picked . Good thing we have a GM that drafts the guys he wants , not the ones the fans demand at the draft.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The problem with the Oilers is that they drafted virtually all high-scoring forwards and hardly any D with their high draft picks.  One of the deals there is that a great D may be on the ice for 25 to 28 minutes, and a high scoring forward, if he doesn't also penalty kill, might play 18-19 - guess who has a bigger effect on the game.  And what if that high scoring forward, as is often the case, doesn't play well in his own end?  He might get you ahead, but can you trust him to keep the lead?  The Doughtys, Keiths, Suters, etc. are effecting nearly half of the game and most of the critical times within the game.

When I look at our picks, I only see one high draft D, and the jury is out on him as to whether he can bring trying offensively to the NHL, and from what I saw in Penticton, there is a lot to be desired in his defensive game, as well.  He got walked a lot in Penticton.  I sure hope his game has improved, if it hasn't, we have a long wait until we are a contender.  We are late in accumulating quality D,and by the time we draft, let them get physically mature and develop them, our forwards might be past their prime.

He is still 19 , I think. We will not really know what we have until he is in his early twenties. I hope he is just a solid D man. I don't care about offense from him. The hardest thing to find is the guy who can play 25 minutes. Tanev makes us better.

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Awesome comments! Plus two!

Yup, Brock is on 29 and going to hit 35, maybe 40??

Puts things in perspective. As does Elias being the best U20 Swedish player since Kent Nilsson over 30 years ago. 

Special times could be coming!

The season is really grinding on him at this point, he looks burned out a bit.  I see him ending with 32 or 33

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

I'd assume so, but another NHLe has him at 68 points so there must be different models.

I've still never seen conclusive evidence that these projected point models aren't just sports writers pulling numbers out of their butts. 

But it is nice to see Pettersson up there!

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

I'd assume so, but another NHLe has him at 68 points so there must be different models.

17 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I've still never seen conclusive evidence that these projected point models aren't just sports writers pulling numbers out of their butts. 

I think they're also supposed to be more reflective of their potential 'peak' years, not their likely rookie scoring rates FWIW.

19 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Lol, yeah definitely questionable sometimes, depending on the source. 

But the equivalencies are real, come from actual player data, and are based on the work analytics guru Gabriel Desjardins did around a decade or so ago. They’ve since been updated by Vollman and others.

23 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Dahlén-EP-Lind would look really good to start in Utica next year and tons of skill on that line would give everyone lots of confidence. Bring up each of them for a few games by Christmas when injuries pick up and see if any of them got it what it takes to stick with the team. Ship out excess smallish playmakers by trade deadline. 

This is actually what I predict we see.  I think for both Dahlen and Pettersson, it would do them good to go straight to the AHL and get used to both the size of ice as well as the size of the players.  They are already tops in their respective leagues, so I don't see how staying in Sweden is going to help either compared to the AHL.

• Thanks 1

Just now, kloubek said:

This is actually what I predict we see.  I think for both Dahlen and Pettersson, it would do them good to go straight to the AHL and get used to both the size of ice as well as the size of the players.  They are already tops in their respective leagues, so I don't see how staying in Sweden is going to help either compared to the AHL.

Pettersson spends no time in the AHL.  Dhalen is going to be the most surprisingly good player in next year's camp.  His game is perfectly suited for our smaller ice.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Pettersson spends no time in the AHL.  Dhalen is going to be the most surprisingly good player in next year's camp.  His game is perfectly suited for our smaller ice.

I'm quoting you on that.  ^^ See? ^^ :)

I disagree, for three reasons:

1) Benning/Green have seemed quite reluctant to play really young guys the moment they are available.  Heck, Boeser was sat despite looking incredible.  Demko has been left in the AHL to develop.  I think they are being very careful not to shatter the confidence of their young guys.

2) In addition to #1, there's really no NEED to bring him into the NHL immediately.  It's kinda to our benefit to have him develop one more year in the AHL.  And if the Sedins do re-sign, we're already going to have a glut.

3) I know time has passed, but when he was selected Benning said himself that he wasn't going to be brought into the NHL right away.  He wanted to give him time to bulk up.  And although he didn't say it, I'll say again I think it would do him good to get used to the smaller ice first as well.  Of course, there is nothing guaranteeing he'll stick by that, and I'm not sure anybody predicted he would do quite as good as he has so far.

I'd like nothing more than to see both Pettersson and Dahlen on our team next year.  If they can actually produce right away, it would make our team WAY better pretty much instantly. So while I feel it is not super likely, I DO agree that either or both could happen for sure.  They are both highly talented guys and with all the discussion of the pressure on management to get this team winning again, it would take a tremendous amount of restraint not to give it a go.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Plus when your team is rebuilding you give these young players the chance to play on the big club so seeing both on next years roster is plausible especially if Dahlen has a good training camp.

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think the Pettersson is to slight to make the jump is overblown. But I think the jump to the small ice isn't talked about enough. Yes he looked ok in the world juniors. The closing speed of the NHL and tight corners and half walls will be a big jump for him. He didn't even play junior here in North America. We should all temper our expectations of EP making the leap next year. My guess is he goes up and down between The NHL and AHL.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

There's always going to be people who don't like the pick but I feel the Pettersson pick was fairly tame compared to previous picks.  The meltdown with Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers was incredible.  Juolevi over Tkachuk wasn't as bad at that but it was still quite heated.  A few people wanted Glass or Vilardi but it seemed most were happy we took a risk with the guy with the most skill and highest ceiling.  Just imagine right now if we had taken Glass....eesh. 

Looking back, 2014 draft could have been one of those legendary drafts for the Canucks like the 79 draft for the Oilers when they picked Messier, Lowe, and Anderson. We had all the right picks to draft the star players. I bet if we re-do that draft with current scouting team rather than the one that JB inherited from Gillis, we come out of that draft with Ehlers, Pastrnak, Demko, Tryamkin, and Forsling.

2 first line players, starting goalie, top 4 and top 6 defenceman in one draft. Would have been the best draft in the history of Vancouver. Only draft that comes somewhat close is 2004, Schneider, Edler, and Hansen. Starter, top 2/3 defenceman, and best third liner in the league at one point.

In light of the players we drafted and traded for, imagine if we had Ehlers and Pastrnak:

Ehlers-Pettersson-Boeser

Dahlen-Horvat-Pastrnak

Gadjovich-Gaudette-Lind

That's Stanley cup winning top 9 forwards.

• Like 1