The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

The biggest fear I have with Petterson is his ability to actually gain weight

Look at the breadth of his shoulders.  He's not much different than the female anouncer.  They're about as wide across the shoulders as each other.

That slight of a frame will have a very tough time putting on weight and I can see him around 180 pounds in 2-4 years.

Think about a 180 pound center here in the west/pacific as a 1st line center.

I have a lot of faith and hope in him but there's a long LONG term project in our organization in Petterson

Totally anecdotal, but my shoulders got 2" wider between 17 and 21 and I hadn't started lifting weights or training at that point. I think he could hit a playing weight of about 190-195 and be a really good complimentary skillset to Horvat down the middle. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

We needed a defenseman way more severely than a winger.

Not to mention that it's nigh impossible to trade for a top defenseman in today's NHL.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BananaMash said:

Totally anecdotal, but my shoulders got 2" wider between 17 and 21 and I hadn't started lifting weights or training at that point. I think he could hit a playing weight of about 190-195 and be a really good complimentary skillset to Horvat down the middle. 

A valid point. As I've hit my mid 20's I've noticed a surprising increase in size that I didn't expect. Some of it was probably due to weight training, but I think a lot of men have their bodies develop even into their early 20s, so it's not impossible to see Pettersson become a 180-185lb guy.

• Upvote 2

Just now, -AJ- said:

Not to mention that it's nigh impossible to trade for a top defenseman in today's NHL.

Definitely.

People get excited because Tkachuk is playing in the NHL now, and I guess that's fair in some respects. He's a really nice prospect as well, but I think he's almost one of those "what you see is what you get" guys. Patience with Juolevi, and now Petterson, will pay off.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

We need a number one centre.  This guy has that ceiling.  Did the other guys like Glass have that potential?  

Glass and Vilardi were the safer picks but I think they are sick of sitting back and went for the guy with the higher ceiling 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Hank was wider than him.

I'm not entirely complaining about the pick, but I know and understand he's going to be a long term project

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah I heard that before ... Can anyone say Jared McCann ? 

Yeah, and you can say that about someone like Ehlers too. Why only use one bad example to prove a point? To that fact, McCann isn't even a bust, he's still developing.

They're banking on Dahlen and Petterson's chemistry... Which was great. Love this pick. Risky and worth it. Ah eligible. Utica gonna be fun to watch this season (hopefully, unless Petterson returns to Sweden for another year). Exactly the type of pick Canucks needed to make.

Just now, cyoung said:

Glass and Vilardi were the safer picks but I think they are sick of sitting back and went for the guy with the higher ceiling 

Agreed.  We need elite skill to replace Henrik, and this guy has that potential.  I like the pick.  

Just now, BananaMash said:

Definitely.

People get excited because Tkachuk is playing in the NHL now, and I guess that's fair in some respects. He's a really nice prospect as well, but I think he's almost one of those "what you see is what you get" guys. Patience with Juolevi, and now Petterson, will pay off.

Well I like what I see and I like what we would get.  With Juolevi sure, maybe, one day he will be better.  Maybe and one day don't make him a better pick than Tkachuk.