The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, cory40 said:

What's wrong with hyping a 19 year old player who scores out of this world goals and sets up goals and has a unbelievable one timer to have expectations and who lead a mens league in the SHL in scoring. I not only expect it I think his ceiling is higher than any player playing in the NHL.

1- He thinks the game and makes plays at high speed

2- He isn't relying on his speed to do things , He is fast but not fast enough to end his career because of it. (ie Pavel Bure)

I have not seen a prospect in 20 Years that I have been this excited for. If the draft was done over right now he goes #2. If the draft could be done over in three years he goes solid number 1 as a generational talent.

If he was a little heavier he would have dominated even more in the SHL. He started slow and figured out how to get points, I expect that from him next year.

I watched Forsberg in Sweden at his age and he had power and moves, But EP has something Forsberg didn't have. A uni cycle! 

Well, since you put it that way.....

How about we let him get to the NHL first and a shift or three before we even mention him in the same thread as some of the names you are throwing out there.    I am very high on this kid but making the NHL first should be his goal and more pressure than that seems a bit premature.    

Calling someone a generational talent who didn't play in NHL in his Draft +1 year is an example of perhaps being a little over the top.   Right?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How about we let him get to the NHL first and a shift or three before we even mention him in the same thread as some of the names you are throwing out there.    I am very high on this kid but making the NHL first should be his goal and more pressure than that seems a bit premature.    

Calling someone a generational talent who didn't play in NHL in his Draft +1 year is an example of perhaps being a little over the top.   Right?

pssssssh. puhleeeeeeeese :lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

For me, no expectation but incredible optimism. 

I'm just fired up that we have this guy in our system

Yup, well said.   A pretty much unprecedented assorted of upper tier prospects that will be added to in June's draft.   Great time to be following this team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Two guys I'm really excited about right now are Pettersson and Jasek, and for roughly the same reason.  This year Pettersson jumped up a league in Sweden and his ppg actually went up significantly (and in so doing set u20 scoring records and was the best offensive player in the league)  To a lesser extent, Jasek is creating excitement by hopping across the pond and going 1.5ppg in a league that is arguably better than the one he came from.  Sure, the sample size is only six games, but as a long suffering Canucks fan, I'll take what I can get.  If Jasek keeps it up he's going to start making a case for himself on the starting roster next year.  I'm excited to see Pettersson in North America next season, and I expect he'll be playing NHL games rather than AHL.  He's looking like he could be Filip Forsberg material (perhaps more skilled but less solid physically) or possibly more.  Or maybe he doesn't make the transition, but I'm betting he makes it and makes it big inside three years.

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So EP, who isn't in the NHL yet, is now likely better than the young player likely consensus next best player in the world to Sidney Crosby.

Buddy, EP looks like a great prospect and likely a soild NHL player - perhaps even a star but talking about McDavid's "weaknesses" as relative to how EP will be "better" is taking this to a whole new level of hype that seems more than a tad excessive.   

Give these kids some breathing room.   I am pretty sure McDavid would have done just fine in the SHL in his D+1 year too given his NHL results.    Pretty sure EP will also have to "work" for his points.

Expectations in the thread are bananas.  

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Garbage is a rather strong word, but just where in today's NHL do you think 5'10 Fuhr with his lifetime .887 save percentage or 5'9 Vernon's .889 would fit? Whether you believe it or not, goalies are much bigger, better, and harder to score on now than they were in the 80's.

The position has changed, but to say that the goalies of today are better is ridiculous.  Larger equipment, standardized coaching and the application of technology is a big factor. 

The reason why goalies were much smaller is that the equipment was way heavier.  

Have you ever strapped on the old leather pads?  They would become heavier by pounds as the game went on. Playing goalie back in the day was about endurance and stamina. The tall bean pole goalie was a rarity with the equipment of the day.  

Imagine Markstom trying to make a save in the end of the third with thirty pound leg pads on.  

7 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The position has changed, but to say that the goalies of today are better is ridiculous.  Larger equipment, standardized coaching and the application of technology is a big factor. 

The reason why goalies were much smaller is that the equipment was way heavier.  

Have you ever strapped on the old leather pads?  They would become heavier by pounds as the game went on. Playing goalie back in the day was about endurance and stamina. The tall bean pole goalie was a rarity with the equipment of the day.  

Imagine Markstom trying to make a save in the end of the third with thirty pound leg pads on.  

Even past nhl goalies has admitted this. Mike Vernon was talking about it the other day, that the goalies today are on a different level than goalies of the past. 

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, well said.   A pretty much unprecedented assorted of upper tier prospects that will be added to in June's draft.   Great time to be following this team.

it is. EP I think will win games by having teams shake their heads a lot wondering how the hell he made that pass or snuck in a goal. McPouty dominates in a different way, not sure they are really comparable tbh. EP reminds me of a more skilled Henrik in the sense he has the playmaking potential plus a great shot which Henrik never really had. I don't think fans will be yelling for EP to "shoot" as much :P

Edited by Jimmy McGill

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Even past nhl goalies has admitted this. Mike Vernon was talking about it the other day, that the goalies today are on a different level than goalies of the past. 

Equipment changes allow goalies to play a different style, that is far more effective.  Yes, they are far bigger and better athletes too.  The nets should be made bigger.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Equipment changes allow goalies to play a different style, that is far more effective.  Yes, they are far bigger and better athletes too.  The nets should be made bigger.

Alflives, leave those nets alone! The shooters are better, the goalies are better.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, cory40 said:

What's wrong with hyping a 19 year old player who scores out of this world goals and sets up goals and has a unbelievable one timer to have expectations and who lead a mens league in the SHL in scoring. I not only expect it I think his ceiling is higher than any player playing in the NHL.

1- He thinks the game and makes plays at high speed

2- He isn't relying on his speed to do things , He is fast but not fast enough to end his career because of it. (ie Pavel Bure)

I have not seen a prospect in 20 Years that I have been this excited for. If the draft was done over right now he goes #2. If the draft could be done over in three years he goes solid number 1 as a generational talent.

If he was a little heavier he would have dominated even more in the SHL. He started slow and figured out how to get points, I expect that from him next year.

I watched Forsberg in Sweden at his age and he had power and moves, But EP has something Forsberg didn't have. A uni cycle! 

Your expectations are going to ruin him! What you need to do is go lock yourself in a closet for 5 years and maybe he will live up to your lofty goals once you make your way out. Everyone knows that people on fan forums and social media are all these young men have to live for. If you put too much pressure on him with your posts on CDC he's going to fail. Am I doing this right?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He already is a generational talent in the SEL.  Based in his company in the SEL who put up similar stats at the same age, he does have the potential to be that player in the NHL. Potential isn’t a gauruantee.  But we are a fan base starving for positives. It is harmless to have some die hards on an Internet forum hyping up a prospect. 

Logic and reason need not apply! 

• Haha 1