The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I know, but 4-5 games isn't a big enough sample size to write him in as a center in the NHL next year.

The Canucks view him as a C. Whether that's where he starts his NHL career is certainly up for debate.

If it isn't though, we're almost certainly going to have to target a C either via free agency or trade to fill in there until he's ready to do so.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

I was referring to his minutes as being higher than 3rd line in relatively short order.  He will almost certainly be at C eventually, but unknown when as of yet.

I see. My bad

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The Canucks view him as a C. Whether that's where he starts his NHL career is certainly up for debate.

If it isn't though, we're almost certainly going to have to target a C either via free agency or trade to fill in there until he's ready to do so.

I think he should play on the wing for at least his first 2 years in the NHL. Give him that amount of time to adjust to the speed and physicality of the game as well as put on some muscle. No need to throw him out there and watch him get worked down low defensively by guys like Getzlaf, Kopitar, Draisaitl, etc. out of the gate. 

I think it could help us when signing him too. If we move him to center in the last year of his ELC and his production dips slightly (as you would expect with the increased defensive responsibility), maybe we can sign him to a slightly cheaper long term deal than we otherwise would be able to. That's extremely hypothetical and 3 years out though. 

And yeah, we're going to need a center to replace Henrik on the depth chart. I don't think Bozak would accept 2-3 years, but I'd welcome him if he did. Interesting that the Canucks were going to go hard for Backlund; he would've been a great center for Pettersson.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Sooo, game at 5:30 AM tomorrow Vancouver time, whos watching? ::D

I'm chillin' (wrong term..it's HOT) in Baja for the next month and we are on Mountain Time here...so...6:30 local time here is doable. As long as I avoid the tequila tonight. :)

I'm on the record as being a bit nervous about throwing EP into the NHL at his current skinny frame - but even I am having a hard time maintaining my caution...my god, the talent....It's just that I don't want him to get broken. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/19/2018 at 1:55 PM, Alflives said:

Kent Nilsson was the most gifted player around, when he played over here.  I remember a HNIC interview with him.  He was on his skates after a practice standing at center ice.  The reporter asked him how many tries it would take to hit the cross bar of the goal, from center?  Nilsson took one slap shot, and it hit the cross bar.  He did it first shot.  The guy was magic.  He wasn't so motivated to be the best though, so he could have even been better.

I remember that HNIC interview. Amazing.

6 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Sleep can in no way be better than watching Pettersson tear Skellefteå apart for the third time

I want too but 20 hours sleep in 4 days isnt manageable lol. I make up my sleep on the weekend. I'll be up at 7 tho I'll catch the second half.  I got a massage booked in for 9am. So stoked lol

Edited by Rush17

6 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Sooo, game at 5:30 AM tomorrow Vancouver time, whos watching? ::D

Will u be up that early?  Its easy to say ull be up at 5 it's another thing to do it lol.  I was up at 330 today :( worked earlier today lol

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if Dahlin is secretly hoping the Canucks get 1st overall so he can win some Cups with his countrymen (Pettersson, Dahlen) lol

He already said it would be "sick" to play with pettersson and spent 30 seconds gushing over his talent talking to vancity media on sn650

I'll see if I can find the link lol it makes me smile hearing it

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central-at-noon/rasmus-dahlin-nhl-draft-aspiration-play-bigger/

Just pass him the puck and you Will get an assist. Dahlin on Pettersson lol

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He already said it would be "sick" to play with pettersson and spent 30 seconds gushing over his talent talking to vancity media on sn650

I'll see if I can find the link lol it makes me smile hearing it

yes, I recall seeing him quoted saying something like that. They would be unstoppable, especially on a PP or OT