The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Henrik Sedin is 182lbs. Of course it be nice to see him add weight or else he be tossed around like a rag doll.

Patrick Kane is listed at 177lbs. No wonder why he has "so much trouble" in this league. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nzan said:

nah, I got you fine.

i was just adding an addendum that if any of us had to relive the horror of a great prospect slowly turning into a top100 scorer, we would do the same thing that we did back then...call him a bust and complain for years before being like "virtanen, no i never said any crap about him, i always knew he was going to be a 75 point top line guy"...haha

Ha ha yeah CDC ... I can see it now. A 22 y.o. Pettersson gets 30ish points in his second NHL season. There would be people calling him a bust and maybe even a topic "Pettersson? Do We Really Need Him?".

I think this kid is going to be great for this team but he's 5 years away from being a difference maker. One more year in SEL then 1.5 years in Utica and it'll take him around 3 years in the NHL before he gets to the 1C level. 

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎25 at 4:44 PM, The Lock said:

Erm, you do realise there are a lot more higher end players out there yes? There's a reason why Canada has more trouble getting gold at the WJC these days and it's not because of our team. It's because the competition is getting more intense. KHL or not, I would argue the leagues over there, if anything, would be getting tougher based on how the international play has been going.

So you're telling me that the SweHL that recently had among the leading goals scorer Chad Kolarik, Broc Little, Nick Johnson, and among the points leaders Jeff Taffe, Derek Ryan and Ryan Lasch are tougher than they were?

If there is higher end talent out there, why are there North American rejects dominating their leagues??

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, timberz21 said:

So you're telling me that the SweHL that recently had among the leading goals scorer Chad Kolarik, Broc Little, Nick Johnson, and among the points leaders Jeff Taffe, Derek Ryan and Ryan Lasch are tougher than they were?

If there is higher end talent out there, why are there North American rejects dominating their leagues??

I think you're going about this the wrong way perhaps.

The NHL is considered to be the toughest league in the sport (obviously). Just because a player is thought of as being a "reject" by NHL standards it doesn't mean they can't play (and not all of the players you mentioned are even the case. Derek Ryan scored 29 points in the NHL last year so you might want to check your information). The NHL's actually been getting tougher over the years as better player development techniques become more and more readily available. This is going to be the same situation for almost any league if you think about it.

So yes, these players you mentioned are likely tougher than you think. They are thriving on a different, wider, ice rink. The fact that these so called "rejects" are adults, some with NHL experience, provides strong competition for younger players like Pettersson. Imagine developing in a league with a bunch of former NHL'rs. No matter whether they played a few seasons in the NHL or even just a year or less. That alone should speak volumes about who Pettersson is developing with over there and as a younger player than the AHL would even allow.

I don't think we should be underestimating the Swedish League in the end. It's developed a lot of talent that now plays in the NHL and with good reason. Besides, if more and more former NHL players end up in the SEL, that makes the competition also tougher in the end does it not?

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I think you're going about this the wrong way perhaps.

The NHL is considered to be the toughest league in the sport (obviously). Just because a player is thought of as being a "reject" by NHL standards it doesn't mean they can't play (and not all of the players you mentioned are even the case. Derek Ryan scored 29 points in the NHL last year so you might want to check your information). The NHL's actually been getting tougher over the years as better player development techniques become more and more readily available. This is going to be the same situation for almost any league if you think about it.

So yes, these players you mentioned are likely tougher than you think. They are thriving on a different, wider, ice rink. The fact that these so called "rejects" are adults, some with NHL experience, provides strong competition for younger players like Pettersson. Imagine developing in a league with a bunch of former NHL'rs. No matter whether they played a few seasons in the NHL or even just a year or less. That alone should speak volumes about who Pettersson is developing with over there and as a younger player than the AHL would even allow.

I don't think we should be underestimating the Swedish League in the end. It's developed a lot of talent that now plays in the NHL and with good reason. Besides, if more and more former NHL players end up in the SEL, that makes the competition also tougher in the end does it not?

Great post and it's more of a professional Soccer/footy league comparison now. 

18 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Swedens T2 league isn't the same as NHL vs AHL if a team wins T2 they move up to T1 and the worst team in T1 moves to T2. 

I believe the bottom 4 teams in the SHL get relegated and the top 4 teams from tier 2 move up to the SHL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I believe the bottom 4 teams in the SHL get relegated and the top 4 teams from tier 2 move up to the SHL

It's through promotion/relegation rounds.   It's in several steps where teams in Allsvenskan compete to get the right to play vs the bottom 2 teams of the SHL for a spot in the SHL.  

At the end of the regular season teams 1 and 2 compete (best of 5).  The winner gets to play the promotion/relegation round vs the bottom team of the SHL (best of 7). The winner goes to SHL and the loser plays in Allsvenskan the coming season.

Teams 3 to 8 compete (one game vs each team so 5 games per team) and the team with the best record gets to play the team that lost the [team 1 vs team 2] series.  The team that wins (best of 3) qualifies for the promotion/relegation and plays the 2nd to last team of the SHL (best of 7).  The winner gets to play in the SHL and the loser plays in Allsvenskan.

• Upvote 1