The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I’d love to let him own the AHL and really make sure he’s ready and not forced. We could fill out our roster by taking on a few bad contracts. Gain picks and get in the Jack Hughes sweepstakes. I’ll want this even more if we end up drafting Quinn Hughes this year.

After two games at the worlds I don't see any domination, touches of brilliance yes , he is young playing against men yes he has elite skill but until his body catches up. Time will tell I want him on the team as much as anyone but one more year of development would go along way .

5 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Whats the rush you trying to sell tickets? 

Why the hesitation?

You're afraid he's some emo kid who will fall apart at the slightest of competition, or he's some bubble-wrap kid that will break down after a sneeze?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

After two games at the worlds I don't see any domination, touches of brilliance yes , he is young playing against men yes he has elite skill but until his body catches up. Time will tell I want him on the team as much as anyone but one more year of development would go along way .

Two games, and they haven't been bad by any means. People flopping from he's ready no matter what, to he needs another year. 

He will show what he's ready for at camp. 

If EP makes the team out of camp honestly, then good, but don't rush him for two reasons, he needs more size and it's one less player to protect in the Seattle draft.  I'd also keep as many of these young guys in Europe or the AHL for another year as possible because we'll get screwed by the Seattle expansion draft in 20-21, and we can't protect them all.  I say, let Goldy play the whole season next year, give Jake a shot at top six minutes and replace him on the checking line with Gaunce.  Keep Boucher up for the year to see what he can do.  Give Gaudette a good look at 4th line center.  Let Gagner play 2nd or 3rd line center and maybe sign Dowd for another year.  Keep OJ, Dahlen, EP (if he's not quite ready), and the other 2016-17 draftees out of the NHL for another year.  Put them all together next year and let them grow as a unit.  It'll maybe be a stealth tank, we'll get another good draft choice, we won't lose any good prospects and we'll give some of the young guys some who are on the cusp some PT.

In watching EP at the Worlds, he needs about ten or 15 more pounds, and he needs to get stronger on his skates.  He seems to be getting knocked down a lot, but he's a 19 year old playing against men.  I have been impressed with his puck handling and hockey IQ, and other than size don't think he looks out of place at the highest level he's played at yet.

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NucksinNorway said:

Just a quick question, and excuse my ignorance since I’ve seen maybe all of 2 periods of the entire world championships, but has anybody dominated these world championships after 2 games? 

Rakell, Zibanejad and Janmark has been amazing and had a playground in the O-zone so far

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Let me get this straight. Youre on your high horse teling people he needs more time to develop, all because hes not dominating an international tournament filled with some of the best NHL and KHL players that this world has to offer? Were you expecting EP to score a hat trick every game? 

Your opinion To me is just all too unfounded. Youre complaining about his physicality, well he was tenacious in the SHL playoffs and didnt lose a step when the physicality turned up a notch. And your analysis of his tourny so far is way off. He’s been playing pretty well actually, just doesnt have the chemistry or the opportunity he had at Vajxo. Need i remind you this is his first time playing with Team Sweden A. He’s created chances, been responsible defensively, has been a hound in the neutral zone, and is only 19. He’ll be in the NHL next year, and it wont be because Vancouver needs to sell tickets. We have Horvat Boeser and Gaudette, maybe Juolevi for that. He will be on the Nucks next year because he is at the top of our depth chart and he is ready as of right now. 

Do yourself a favor and start watching him play, instead of stat watching and distorting other peoples views of him and turning them into your own unfounded opinion. 

Do yourself another favor and when you actually watch a game for once, listen to the commentators and analysts (those who know more about hockey than you or I) drool over him and talk about how hes a lock in the NHL. 

Yes i assume you didnt actually watch a game, i allowed myself to do that because your analysis of his tournament and your complete lack of mentioning his shl playoffs (when talking about how he responds to physical play), is absurd and completely untrue. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Kid just set pretty much every record he could and led the league in scoring in both regular season and playoffs.   He has played two games and held his own just fine.   He didn't break.   He is feeling his way.   

Gawd, let the kid develop!   He is showing great signs.   His teammates are saying glowing things about him (some in awe of him and comparing him to people like Patty Kane).   

Let him play.   Let the summer happen.   Let him try main camp and see where things look for him.   He is a tremendous skater, super elusive and the NHL is not the 80s anymore.   

Reading some of the angst is beyond funny.   

Yeah but can he stand up to the likes of Carl racki. A question 8that is important to cdc.

my concern is for him not to get injured from lack of lower body strength. why are people trying to rush him? when kempe replaced him on that line, the anouncer said, kempe was stronger and harder to knock off the puck. he'll be a star for the canucks, but let him get stronger and ready for NA hockey. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Let me get this straight. Youre on your high horse teling people he needs more time to develop, all because hes not dominating an international tournament filled with some of the best NHL and KHL players that this world has to offer? Were you expecting EP to score a hat trick every game? 

Your opinion To me is just all too unfounded. Youre complaining about his physicality, well he was tenacious in the SHL playoffs and didnt lose a step when the physicality turned up a notch. And your analysis of his tourny so far is way off. He’s been playing pretty well actually, just doesnt have the chemistry or the opportunity he had at Vajxo. Need i remind you this is his first time playing with Team Sweden A. He’s created chances, been responsible defensively, has been a hound in the neutral zone, and is only 19. He’ll be in the NHL next year, and it wont be because Vancouver needs to sell tickets. We have Horvat Boeser and Gaudette, maybe Juolevi for that. He will be on the Nucks next year because he is at the top of our depth chart and he is ready as of right now. 

Do yourself a favor and start watching him play, instead of stat watching and distorting other peoples views of him and turning them into your own unfounded opinion. 

Do yourself another favor and when you actually watch a game for once, listen to the commentators and analysts (those who know more about hockey than you or I) drool over him and talk about how hes a lock in the NHL. 

Yes i assume you didnt actually watch a game, i allowed myself to do that because your analysis of his tournament and your complete lack of mentioning his shl playoffs (when talking about how he responds to physical play), is absurd and completely untrue. 

Yah do believe what you write.  LOL I am not saying he is a bust for Gods sakes! Im saying for the whole two games I watched My impression was he needs more time to develop . No rush to bring him over period. You all got your panties in a knot . How is rushing him in will it help! Let him dominate another year then bring him over.

Elias Regrettersson:ph34r:

Jesus Christ, he played fine.  Also no one has mentioned the fatigue factor as this is got to be the most hockey EP has played in one year.  From what I saw he needs better linemates.  Imagine that?  A 19yo being held back by NHLers. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Clearly you are all looking threw your rose colored glasses , Pettersson  needs more time to develop period Let him play another year in Sweden then bring him over. He needs to get stronger to play with the big boys rushing him will get him hurt . Give him time to develop more strength . One more year. Is needed.

Nico Hischier and his 175lbs frame didn't prevent him to play 82 games, playing 16min per night.   Marner is still listed at 175lb too.  Why do you assume Pettersson will get hurt?  Dahlin is listed at 181 and every hockey experts have him playing in the NHL next year.  

You don't bring him over here, hand him 1st line duty, 1st PP time and ask him to play 22 minutes per night.   What's wrong with getting him over here, playing 15 minutes a night, sometimes in the top 9, sometimes in top 6.

You can't ask the kid to stay in Sweden, ask him to put 20lbs and bring him in next years.  At least in Vancouver or Utica, the Canucks will be able to monitor his training program much closely.  I'm not giving him a free pass, he needs to earn his spot, but if he proves he can play, I'm not sending him in Sweden because i'm afraid he'll get hurt, that's not logical.

Edited by timberz21
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Nico Hischier and his 175lbs frame didn't prevent him to play 82 games, playing 16min per night.   Marner is still listed at 175lb too.  Why do you assume Pettersson will get hurt?  Dahlin is listed at 181 and every hockey experts have him playing in the NHL next year.  

You don't bring him over here, hand him 1st line duty, 1st PP time and ask him to play 22 minutes per night.   What's wrong with getting him over here, playing 15 minutes a night, sometimes in the top 9, sometimes in top 6.

You can't ask the kid to stay in Sweden, ask him to put 20lbs and bring him in next years.  At least in Vancouver or Utica, the Canucks will be able to monitor his training program much closely.  I'm not giving him a free pass, he needs to earn his spot, but if he proves he can play, I'm not sending him in Sweden because i'm afraid he'll get hurt, that's not logical.

we are talking about lower body strength. you always want to put a player in the position to succeed. if that means another year in sweden or uttica then let it happen. hischier may have better lower body strength. don't rush EP to prove your point. do what is best for him.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we are talking about lower body strength. you always want to put a player in the position to succeed. if that means another year in sweden or uttica then let it happen. hischier may have better lower body strength. don't rush EP to prove your point. do what is best for him.

It's about processing the game at a faster rate. Panarin is still in the 160's and that guy is magic. Purely because he knows when someone is going to hit him and he has the athleticism and hockey skill to avoid big collisions. EP in my mind has more than enormous that skill to emulate a similar style of play 

11 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

Actually, I'm not saying bring him with the Canucks or send him to Sweden.  I'm saying let the kid show what he can do in training camp and take it from there.    Part of his evaluation will be his strenght.  If his strenght is not good in pre-season, it will show and will affect his play and it will be taken into consideration when the Canucks do their final decision.  You don't send him to Sweden based on his strenght only.  It's only part of the equation and ultimately will affect his play if truly not ready.

People are arguing like it's a lock on way or the another.  The truth is we don't know.  4-5 months until the season start is a lot of time, things will change.  WHen I think back of the frail Mathew Barzal I saw in junior and at WHJC, I never would have thought he would held his own in the NHL this year.  Pretty sure, NYI didn't expect that either, but they had no choice but to leave him there and give him more responsability.

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 2