The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

He's a natural C but can also play LW. Must be playing W becuase it's a team neee. 

I suppose so. I'd just like to see him getting accustomed to playing center. That is what we drafted him for.

I realize that the teams he's playing for aren't obligated to use him how we want him to be used, but it's still kind of frustrating to see.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I suppose so. I'd just like to see him getting accustomed to playing center. That is what we drafted him for.

I realize that the teams he's playing for aren't obligated to use him how we want him to be used, but it's still kind of frustrating to see.

For me, it's not so much that I want to see him getting accustomed to playing center, and more so I want to see him being the choice for center by his coaches because they think he is that amazing.

Edited by Beastmode33
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beastmode33 said:

For me, it's not so much that I want to see him getting accustomed to playing center, and more so I want to see him being the choice for center by his coaches because he is that amazing.

That would certainly be ideal, but if he isn't amazing at it right now, I'd like to see him have the opportunity to improve at it before making the jump to North America.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

5349014-4x3-700x525.jpg

May be a bit of spilled milk but the last 3 years I've had Nylander, Tkachuck, and Mittlestadt.  At least one of those is looking like the better choice already.  I have been pretty satisfied with his late round picks but the guy just cant pick top 10 to save his life.

We could have had the same amount of skill with mittlestadt just with a 200 lb frame instead of 167.  Go look at Elias' brothers weight, doesn't seem like it's much higher at 20 something years old.  Doesn't bode well for the youngsters chances of putting on some bulk.

But, as a die hard Canucks fan I will sit here and hope I am wrong and that he becomes that #1 C that benning and Co have promised us he is.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beastmode33 said:

We could have had the same amount of skill with mittlestadt just with a 200 lb frame instead of 167.  Go look at Elias' brothers weight, doesn't seem like it's much higher at 20 something years old.  Doesn't bode well for the youngsters chances of putting on some bulk.

I think with Mittelstadt, the college thing, in conjunction with the fact he didn't adequately prepare for the summit was enough to scare a few teams off.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think with Mittelstadt, the college thing, in conjunction with the fact he didn't adequately prepare for the summit was enough to scare a few teams off.

If by summit you mean draft combine, I thought it was a plus that the guy can still add some strength (easier than adding bulk as a bean pole) and from bennings mutliple college bound picks I doubt he puts much thought into the college loophole.

16 minutes ago, Beastmode33 said:

If by summit you mean draft combine, I thought it was a plus that the guy can still add some strength (easier than adding bulk as a bean pole) and from bennings mutliple college bound picks I doubt he puts much thought into the college loophole.

Yeah, that's what I meant xD

It's not so much that he wasn't strong, it's that he apparently didn't care enough about the tests at the combine to work on it. It's more of a potential attitude thing than anything.

If he's not willing to put the effort into preparing for the combine, what else isn't he willing to do? If there's even a small chance that his unwillingness to prepare adequately for the combine testing reflects on his effort level as a whole, then it's at least a cause for concern.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, that's what I meant xD

It's not so much that he wasn't strong, it's that he apparently didn't care enough about the tests at the combine to work on it. It's more of a potential attitude thing than anything.

I think a lot of his actions/decisions were over scrutinized and blown out of proportion.  It seems like the guy really loves to play hockey, to me anyways, from listening to what he has to say in interviews and what he does on the ice.

anyways, sorry to derail the Elias thread, carry on as you were!

Edited by Beastmode33

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't think at this point in his career we should be focusing on whether he should play center or wing for us. In my opinion, making the team first might be more important.

Besides, it will depend on the coach at that time in the end, whether it's Green or someone else, which position he's placed. It could even vary from game to game for all we know.

Personally, I just think it's great that he can play both center and wing. It gives him and us more flexibility.

Edited by The Lock

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its funny, that you equate success in a player by the amount of pounds a player has. 

Scores one goal in a teenager tourney and you cream your pants for him. Very cute. 

Its funny that you forgot everyone including canucks management says Elias needs to add bulk.  I was saying Mittlestadt already had it along with the skill.  

And why don't you look through my posts pre draft and see who I liked, wasn't just "creaming my pants" over one goal in a "teenager tourney".  And It's always nice to see your prospects do well against the best of their peers.

And if I wanted to go be a buffalo fan, or Toronto fan or Flames fan, I wouldn't care as much as I do about benning messing up our top 10 picks.  Some of you on here just don't get it, being a canucks fan doesn't mean you just have to be on board with everything management does, if you want to be like that fine, have fun.  Stop pretending I, or any others who feel like I do, care any less for wishing my team took the better player.

Edited by Beastmode33
  • Upvote 1