The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wonder if Pettersson's overal WJC performance (including all the lead up) will end up similar to what we saw from him at development camp?

Loads of skill on displal but at times looking disinterested/lackadaisical/casual and not given 100% through the early stages of camp. Then the actual "game" happens and there's something on the line and the kid just takes over as the best player on the ice.

With the time there is between now and the WJC and the way Vancouver media has defined his weakness, you have to imagine a determined Pettersson will increase his caloric intake and spend more time in the gym. I watched some of the showcase, and he did look thin. He is a tremendously gifted kid who does need to beef up big time, there's no other way around it. But when you watch, he's a key part of every play. More strength and the ability to plant his feet and just take space will do him wonders, his hands and vision are already at a pro level. Almost exactly like Juolevi. Pure, raw skill and sense for the game, but needing to adapt to the North American game by trying to become more imposing on the ice. 

Olli is now 200lbs, Pettersson just needs to follow that. He can't be a number 1 centre in the West if he doesn't get bigger, and he knows that already at age 18... he has a decade to figure it out, but you know it won't take him that long.

That highlight package from the Canada game is pretty unimpressive for the most part, until you see him on the powerplay. 
He's processing the game faster than anybody on the ice, and it's evident.

Edited by nergish

12 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

do you have the Gajovich videos? if not, that's ok thanks for sharing this.

I'm subscribed to him on YouTube and I'm fairly certain he hasn't uploaded a recent Gadjovich video. I'm pretty sure he/she got his first game of the tournament, it should be in the Gadjovich thread. 

Not going to lie I'd rather he got a couple pts than the 0 pts he tallied. People can and will harp on me all they want but we would be losing sour minds if he went like ppg in this tourney. I'm not saying that this will project his career, just that is feel better about our offensive center if he had a little more support from numbers on NA ice.  

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Not going to lie I'd rather he got a couple pts than the 0 pts he tallied. People can and will harp on me all they want but we would be losing sour minds if he went like ppg in this tourney. I'm not saying that this will project his career, just that is feel better about our offensive center if he had a little more support from numbers on NA ice.  

Cross bars don't count? That is meat and potatos Canuck fare! ::D::D

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Not gonna lie, I dunno why he wasn't awarded assists on 2 goals that I watched. (The 2-2 goal vs USA and the 3-2 goal vs Canada). Let's see how he does at the work juniors. 

I am reading on HF that they missed assists on every team except the US. I know it's a summer tournament but they need to get better/less biased stat keepers.

For commentary on this developing story, let's call in our resident US analyst @SabreFan1

So Sabre why are Americans such slimy stat manipulators? WMDs, manipulating scoring in favor of US players in mid-summer hockey. So much deception. 

:P

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Toews said:

I am reading on HF that they missed assists on every team except the US. I know it's a summer tournament but they need to get better/less biased stat keepers.

For commentary on this developing story, let's call in our resident US analyst @SabreFan1

So Sabre why are Americans such slimy stat manipulators? WMDs, manipulating scoring in favor of US players in mid-summer hockey. So much deception. 

:P

49 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

We prefer to think of it as, "creative interpretation"!  :lol:

Russian Hackers?:)

• Upvote 1