The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Virtanen's got earn it by showing puck skills, that is something he is supposed to be working on this summer...hope it works out for him...Gaudette has everything Gag.s has plus the ability to go into the corner's and come out with the puck....as well as backcheck....both things I have not seen Gagner do...at all really ...he certainly has never been to the corner's to check or be checked...

By the TDL I think we see both Dahlen and Gaudette up to stay and Gagner plus....? Eriksson or Baer or Granlund will be gone...

I got a really weird feeling management is going to keep gagner for the whole season and then trade him either next summer or the tdl of 2020. I hope they do it sooner, but they seem to have no problem holding on to guys until the last second 

19 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I got a really weird feeling management is going to keep gagner for the whole season and then trade him either next summer or the tdl of 2020. I hope they do it sooner, but they seem to have no problem holding on to guys until the last second 

Dahlen/Gaudette could certainly also make any of Goldobin/Leipsic/Baer/Granlund expendable and they keep Gagner around as versatile, veteran depth.

But I doubt he's happy sitting around in the press box 3/4 of the year. He'd likely ask to be moved anyway.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Virtanen's got earn it by showing puck skills, that is something he is supposed to be working on this summer...hope it works out for him...Gaudette has everything Gag.s has plus the ability to go into the corner's and come out with the puck....as well as backcheck....both things I have not seen Gagner do...at all really ...he certainly has never been to the corner's to check or be checked...

By the TDL I think we see both Dahlen and Gaudette up to stay and Gagner plus....? Eriksson or Baer or Granlund will be gone...

That's how Vegas made their team by picking the players off other teams that had to earn their stripes. Virtanen needs to get his fair shot and he will surprise us or watch him light it up in Seattle next year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I wouldn’t be surprised. I actually have a feeling Gagner is going to play, and click, with Pettersson and that he might actually surprise us all with ~40-50 points alongside Elias in a sheltered 5v5 role and heavy PP minutes. Deployed that way, Gagner could actually be a very useful piece next season. And I could see them keeping Gagner around basically until EP outgrows him (either this season or next) and settles in to become a player who can carry a top line on his own and who plays in a higher role and minutes than Gagner can really handle.

I agree. I think Gagner has become a more important piece for this team after this summer as our only center capable of playing with creative offensive players (Pettersson shouldn't play at center in his first year). Gaudette likely isn't ready for that role yet and I don't want to force him into it. Maybe look to move Gagner if we get a comparable center back (Anisimov from Chicago?) or wait until next year when one of Gaudette/Pettersson/2019 1st rounder can step into the middle. Until then, he's our best option. 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I wouldn’t be surprised. I actually have a feeling Gagner is going to play, and click, with Pettersson and that he might actually surprise us all with ~40-50 points alongside Elias in a sheltered 5v5 role and heavy PP minutes. Deployed that way, Gagner could actually be a very useful piece next season. And I could see them keeping Gagner around basically until EP outgrows him (either this season or next) and settles in to become a player who can carry a top line on his own and who plays in a higher role and minutes than Gagner can really handle.

I would say any forward on the team is going to pick up 40 point at a minimum if they play with EP all year...so 50 points for Gagner if he played all year would not surprise me in the least...but what is better:

Rousell (40 points) / Gagner  (50) / EP (60)

or say;

EP  (90) / BH   (70) / BB  (80)   ...and those are 82 game minimums if that line played together for all of them.

or my preference to spread out the scoring;

Baer (70) /  Gaudette (60) /  EP (80)

Gagner will not go into the corner's to retrieve a puck...because he thinks his life depends on it....(never go near the corner or you might get hit) ...with EP that only leaves one spot for a guy that can get the puck back.

If Gagner can put up a PPG with EP then maybe it's worth it....I don't see that happening though....

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I got grilled back when we signed him because I said he could be a guy if paired with the right offensive talent that could put up 40-50 points in a season. I compared him to Brendan Morrison that way, in the sense that he was a good stable line mate for Bertuzzi and Naslund to work off of. Morrison was way more defnsively inclinded than Gagne, but I still think the mold fits.

If you look at Gagnes stats he has had a couple up and down seasons (which makes sense as he's bounced around a lot lately). But if you look at his overall production over the years his average is around 40-45 points. I still think that given a stable environment like he had when he was in Edmonton that he will start to produce more effectively again. If he does he'll be a decent stop gap for the next 2 seasons as the kids develop. And easily tradeable if he does resume that kind of production again.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, mountainnuck said:

^Really ? Your expecting 90 points for the skinny kid who has never played a game in the NHL yet ?

I would be happy with half that his 1st year.

I remember some skinny kid (who many thought was too skinny, and didn’t skate well enough) putting up 200 points.  EP is beyond good; he’s great!  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I would say any forward on the team is going to pick up 40 point at a minimum if they play with EP all year...so 50 points for Gagner if he played all year would not surprise me in the least...but what is better:

Rousell (40 points) / Gagner  (50) / EP (60)

or say;

EP  (90) / BH   (70) / BB  (80)   ...and those are 82 game minimums if that line played together for all of them.

or my preference to spread out the scoring;

Baer (70) /  Gaudette (60) /  EP (80)

Gagner will not go into the corner's to retrieve a puck...because he thinks his life depends on it....(never go near the corner or you might get hit) ...with EP that only leaves one spot for a guy that can get the puck back.

If Gagner can put up a PPG with EP then maybe it's worth it....I don't see that happening though....

Fabulous!  Then he gets traded for a 1st rounder at TDB)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm curious to see how the PP will do this year. Got to think it will improve a little more with Pettersson and potentially Hughes on the team.

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Edler - Hughes

(there doesn't need to be a second PP unit, as this one will score) lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mountainnuck said:

^Really ? Your expecting 90 points for the skinny kid who has never played a game in the NHL yet ?

I would be happy with half that his 1st year.

You didn't quote me ....but I will answer anyway....

If he plays with BB and BH all year...or close to all year ...then yes I expect at least a PPG which is already 82 points, but really 90 would be my guess at his minimum...

Half of that with Gagner and Sutter or Erikkson would not surprise or disappoint me in EP....just the coaching ...if he had to play more than a handful of games with low offense 3rd and 4th liner's.

In reality I expect he will play half the season with none ideal linemates ...but with PP time on the penalties he will be drawing should get him to 70 points anyway...

Virtanen Horvat Goldobin

Edler Boeser

Leipsic Gagner Pettersson

XXXXXX  Hughes

Not going to be a popular choice, but they should try and even out the units and if they plan on starting EP and Hughes off slow than Goblin can man the first unit in Hank's old spot.  I think the golden Goblin is probably our best passer and an underrated playmaker.  The second unit has some weapons on it with EP obviously, and I think Leipsic can step it up offensively and hopefully Gagner can as well like he did in Columbus.   

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Virtanen Horvat Goldobin

Edler Boeser

Leipsic Gagner Pettersson

XXXXXX  Hughes

Not going to be a popular choice, but they should try and even out the units and if they plan on starting EP and Hughes off slow than Goblin can man the first unit in Hank's old spot.  I think the golden Goblin is probably our best passer and an underrated playmaker.  The second unit has some weapons on it with EP obviously, and I think Leipsic can step it up offensively and hopefully Gagner can as well like he did in Columbus.   

If we have Hughes on the team ...there isn't going to be anything slow about the top half of the team

I also think BB is our best passer until EP  and Hughes come on board...Goldy isn't in there league at the moment ...but he does show flashes.

On 21/07/2018 at 10:19 AM, kenhodgejr said:

Teams that win the cup usually have a superstar first line centre, a superstar defence man, and a really good goalie. 

I am confident we have all three of these with Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, and Thatcher Demko 

We have a solid second line center in Bo Horvat who we can rely on in big moments and a star goal scorer in Brock Boeser. 

Next season in Utica a lot of the prospects will have a chance to play together and build chemistry. Also Pettersson will get to play in the NHL

We will also be able to hopefully add 2-3 more NHL quality prospects at the draft in Vancouver.

We could also see the return of monster defence man Nikita Tyramkin who would come in handy during the playoffs. 

I see Elias Pettersson as our Wayne Gretzky. Quinn Hughes as our Paul Coffey and Thatcher Demko as our Grant Fuhr. 

Maybe Jari Kurri is like our Brock Boeser, We could still use a LW like Messier and a top line RD. 

Exciting times for Canucks fans....

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Sorry, Messier was center no? I think we have Bo, who is built strong like Messier.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:32 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....not sure how you can put Gagner on that PP with a straight face...

It should be Dahlen or Gaudette but likely will be Baer or Erikkson (for net front presence)

I would rather see another D. on the PP than Gag's...

Not sure how you'd have Gaudette on the PP over Gagner, and think that with a straight face. Gagner is as one dimensional as it gets but if you think he isn't a superior offensive option to Gaudette right now I really don't know what to tell you. Gagner on a good team had 50 points, on our garbage team had 31. Gaudette had 0 points in 5 games and in none of those 5 games would I say he was a threat to score once. We don't need to throw Gaudette into every situation all at once, his best assets are his two way game. Give him the Bo treatment. Bo started on the 4th line, then worked his way up. Gaudette has done nothing in his career to deserve Powerplay looks before guys like Gagner, Eriksson, Baer or even Virtanen, nor is scoring the thing he is best at anyway.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not sure how you'd have Gaudette on the PP over Gagner, and think that with a straight face. Gagner is as one dimensional as it gets but if you think he isn't a superior offensive option to Gaudette right now I really don't know what to tell you. Gagner on a good team had 50 points, on our garbage team had 31. Gaudette had 0 points in 5 games and in none of those 5 games would I say he was a threat to score once. We don't need to throw Gaudette into every situation all at once, his best assets are his two way game. Give him the Bo treatment. Bo started on the 4th line, then worked his way up. Gaudette has done nothing in his career to deserve Powerplay looks before guys like Gagner, Eriksson, Baer or even Virtanen, nor is scoring the thing he is best at anyway.

While I agree with most of this, especially that Gaudette should have to work his way up like Bo did, especially considering, as you said, he is a two way player.

However, Gaudette's strengths are his defensive game and his powerplay game. His 2016/17 year he wasn't necessarily criticized but it was highly noted that his points totals were inflated due to power play time. He actually set the record for Powerplay goals for Northeastern.

So to suggest that Gaudette get some powerplay time over Gagner isn't much of a stretch. I can see the following lines being tried out if Gaudette is on the team in the fall

Gaudette - Horvat - Pettersson

Boeser - Edler

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hughes was a point-per-game player in the new year, and took even less time to adapt in the WC.  With his confidence, he's not going to come in a shrinking violet but will take the puck and run with it.

Pettersson typically has an adjustment period in a new league, but only for 6-10 games before his production hits.

Gaudette showed in 5 games that he went from feeling his way to looking like an NHL player, even getting physical and hitting.

Jake proved he can play in the NHL (exactly what he told Kuzma), and is going to not just keep rolling with that confidence but ramp his game up further to start dominating.

Brock and Bo, 'nuff said.

The kids are coming, and as good as the Sedins were, nobody will be looking back once they see this team get it together.

matt-murray-is-distraught.png

Except for when opposing goalies constantly looking up at the jumbotron watching replays from Brock N Bo stuff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1