The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I'd switch those two, Leipsic isn't guaranteed anything. He'll have to show a whole lot to prove he's an NHL'er.

He's had good production in basically every league he's played. I really want to see what he can do over the course of an 82 game schedule.

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Well Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Virtanen, Leipsic are all guaranteed to be NHL players for us. So theres six.

Dahlen, Lind, Goldy aren't guaranteed to be NHL players but they are all very good bets to be so! So theres nine.

Palmu, MacEwen, Gadjovich and Jasek are all extremely hard workers and have real drive to become NHL players!

So these 13 are my best bets and I think most of them will pan out! Others with high chances include Madden, Lockwood and Manukyan but each are questionable as to how their development will progress.

Yeah I just meant that we won't be seeing them all as NHL regulars AND on the Canucks roster.  Trades will be made and some will not make it as hoped.  I look at a player like Cole Cassels.  I think many people (me included) thought he'd have a shot at the NHL level in some form based on his defensive play alone.  It's not looking so good right now.

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wow, how did I forget that big guy!

Guess we have to many great prospects these days. Cant keep track!

The reality is not all will pan out. But hopefully we continue to draft well and fill those gaps left by those who don't make it. However sometimes someone unexpected comes out of the shadows and suddenly boosts the depth eg maybe someone like Zhukenov decides to return and is better than expected.

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Well Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Virtanen, Leipsic are all guaranteed to be NHL players for us. So theres six.

Dahlen, Lind, Goldy aren't guaranteed to be NHL players but they are all very good bets to be so! So theres nine.

Palmu, MacEwen, Gadjovich and Jasek are all extremely hard workers and have real drive to become NHL players!

So these 13 are my best bets and I think most of them will pan out! Others with high chances include Madden, Lockwood and Manukyan but each are questionable as to how their development will progress.

Why do you see Leipsic as guaranteed? He is small for a bottom six player (5'10" - 180 lbs - yes i know size isn't everything...the wife keeps reminding me :wacko:).

Edit: Why do you feel he will be good enough for top six? 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I think of him as a good middle six player in burrows image. He has skill and is an agitating player. 105 points in the AHL over 114 games and looked very solid in Vegas's bottom six. Came to the Canucks and had 9Points in 14Games.

I expect him to have a big year next year and prove he's a middle six to top six player. But as he is now, he's already an NHLer at the third line level.

21 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think of him as a good middle six player in burrows image. He has skill and is an agitating player. 105 points in the AHL over 114 games and looked very solid in Vegas's bottom six. Came to the Canucks and had 9Points in 14Games.

I expect him to have a big year next year and prove he's a middle six to top six player. But as he is now, he's already an NHLer at the third line level.

I guess I missed that shift where he was agitating. He is no Brenden Gallagher.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I guess I missed that shift where he was agitating. He is no Brenden Gallagher.

He was only with us for 14 games. In a new environment, team and position one can understand how his agitating aspect didn't come forth. He has real potential to be a fan favourite for years to come!

‘The 23-year-old brings a Brad Marchand-style of game to the rink each night that agitates opponents and endears fans.’ – Cam Robinson, Dobber Prospects

https://mapleleafsnation.com/2015/08/25/tln-prospect-profile-9-brendan-leipsic/

"Leipsic is going to be forever attached to a piece from the hockey news that described him as “the most annoying prospect in hockey”, and in a lot of respects, that’s fair. Much like long-time comparables Brad Marchand and Brendan Gallagher, Leipsic is an undersized forward with a chip on his shoulder. "

Edited by RetroCanuck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Leipsic and Gaudette aren't guaranteed a damn thing. They will have to earn their spots this season, rightfully so. Horvat and Boeser for sure are guaranteed spots as  they're stars. Virtanen will have a long leash because he's got experience and can fill a bottom six role if necessary. Pettersson will likely have a long leash given his prospect pedigree. 

19 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

He was only with us for 14 games. In a new environment, team and position one can understand how his agitating aspect didn't come forth. He has real potential to be a fan favourite for years to come!

‘The 23-year-old brings a Brad Marchand-style of game to the rink each night that agitates opponents and endears fans.’ – Cam Robinson, Dobber Prospects

"Leipsic is going to be forever attached to a piece from the hockey news that described him as “the most annoying prospect in hockey”, and in a lot of respects, that’s fair. Much like long-time comparables Brad Marchand and Brendan Gallagher, Leipsic is an undersized forward with a chip on his shoulder. "

Yes 14 games is a small sample. Quite prepared to watch and wish him well. 

19 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Leipsic came alive in the Sedin's final home game. He seems like a guy that thrives in big moments.

Just listing the top 10 here with Pettersson leading the way...

Top 50 NHL prospects for 2018-19
1. Elias Pettersson, W/C, Canucks

This dynamic 19-year-old playmaker accomplished one of the greatest seasons in Swedish Hockey League history. Pettersson crushed the SHL's junior scoring records and is expected to be Vancouver's new face of the franchise.

2. Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Hurricanes

A pure goal scorer in the mold of Ilya Kovalchuk and Patrik Laine, only Svechnikov is reliable in his own end. His physical and mental maturity complements an elite skill set that should help him be among the NHL's goal-scoring leaders throughout his career.

3. Rasmus Dahlin, LHD, Sabres

The most heralded defense prospect in over 40 years has the strength and compete level to complement his superior play with the puck. It may take a season or two to get into high gear, but there's no reason to think Dahlin won't be one of the game's preeminent defenders for as long as he's in the league.

4. Casey Mittelstadt, C, Sabres

Putting up points has been pretty easy for Mittelstadt, who has Patrick Kane-like puck skills that should help Buffalo's power play. His ability to be either a playmaker or finisher continues to keep opponents guessing.

5. Eeli Tolvanen, RW/LW, Predators

Tolvaven smashed the KHL's junior scoring record after being inexcusably passed over until late in the first round of the 2017 draft.

6. Kirill Kaprizov, LW, Wild

One of the KHL's top players seems quite comfortable playing there. But the lure of the NHL could mean bad news for opposing goalies.

7. Miro Heiskanen, LHD, Stars

The best European defenseman not named Dahlin can play close to 30 minutes a game while showcasing his outstanding puck management skills and skating. He’s the most NHL-ready of any defense prospect in the league.

8. Filip Zadina, LW, Red Wings

A top-notch goal scorer who plays with fire and tenacity in all three zones, Zadina has perennial 30-goal potential.

9. Conor Timmins, RHD, Avalanche

Mature and poised defender was the key cog in Sault Ste Marie's attack. Timmins is NHL ready and ridiculously smooth.

10. Adam Boqvist, RHD, Blackhawks

A dynamic puck rusher with a blistering shot, Boqvist has all the tools necessary to put up points with regularity.

9 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

This dynamic 19-year-old playmaker accomplished one of the greatest seasons in Swedish Hockey League history. Pettersson crushed the SHL's junior scoring records and is expected to be Vancouver's new face of the franchise.

A pure goal scorer in the mold of Ilya Kovalchuk and Patrik Laine, only Svechnikov is reliable in his own end. His physical and mental maturity complements an elite skill set that should help him be among the NHL's goal-scoring leaders throughout his career.

The most heralded defense prospect in over 40 years has the strength and compete level to complement his superior play with the puck. It may take a season or two to get into high gear, but there's no reason to think Dahlin won't be one of the game's preeminent defenders for as long as he's in the league.

Putting up points has been pretty easy for Mittelstadt, who has Patrick Kane-like puck skills that should help Buffalo's power play. His ability to be either a playmaker or finisher continues to keep opponents guessing.

Tolvaven smashed the KHL's junior scoring record after being inexcusably passed over until late in the first round of the 2017 draft.

One of the KHL's top players seems quite comfortable playing there. But the lure of the NHL could mean bad news for opposing goalies.

The best European defenseman not named Dahlin can play close to 30 minutes a game while showcasing his outstanding puck management skills and skating. He’s the most NHL-ready of any defense prospect in the league.

A top-notch goal scorer who plays with fire and tenacity in all three zones, Zadina has perennial 30-goal potential.

Mature and poised defender was the key cog in Sault Ste Marie's attack. Timmins is NHL ready and ridiculously smooth.

A dynamic puck rusher with a blistering shot, Boqvist has all the tools necessary to put up points with regularity.

I gotta say that the list good until

the 9-10 spots. Bomqivst and Timmins don’t belong there yet.  Both good players but not top ten on the prospects list. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I gotta say that the list good until

the 9-10 spots. Bomqivst and Timmins don’t belong there yet.  Both good players but not top ten on the prospects list. 

Agreed.  I’d have Hughes easily ahead of both of them as well

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Hughes could be top 6 also. 

4 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

In the WJC I thought he showed good defensive awareness.  I havnt seen any of his SHL games though.  How has he looked on d?

I caught some of the play-off games and I thought he was good on the defensive side of the puck.  Consistently skating hard on the back check and lifting opponent's sticks like we saw Jake doing last season.

• Upvote 1