The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 8/12/2018 at 10:18 AM, Alflives said:

I think we got the best player in that whole draft!  Pettersson is looking like a steal!  We just might have our super duper center, and our super duper D man in back-to-back drafts.  It’s going to be a really awesome decade coming up (2020-2030).  I see these young super duper stars leading more than one Stanley Cup parade down Georgia.  

no its going down scott road

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

One more skill guy to add to the core after EP and they should be set.

I’d like two more.

Maybe Kirby Dach (prototype 1C with size and RH shot) next year and then Justin Barron (RH shot D with good size, excellent skating, #1D potential, and nearly a half point per game last year in the Q during his D-2 season) in 2020.

Obviously I’m not against Hughes and Lafreniere if we snag first overall picks (been talking those kids up for a while now), but if we’re in the 4-8ish range, Dach in 2019 and Barron in 2020 would be really nice adds to the existing pool.

Our forward group would look pretty great with a RH 1C with size, and adding a RH 1D type to the D order would look pretty sexy (with Q and OJ, plus maybe one or two of our B grade D prospects developing well).

4 hours ago, Deets said:

You're wrong. This kid has an above average wrist shot and has the ability to get to the dangerous spots on the ice. So he hasn't developed his slap shot yet. Every scouting report on QH talks about him having a dangerous wrister.

Nope.   I’ve watched hours of this kids highlights and game packages.  

I’m not saying he isn’t great, but the kid has a total sissy shot.  Big time.  

Wrist and slap shot are both very weak.  

They will improve, but let’s start being a little more honest with ourselves about our prospects.  

Some of them have flaws and things to work on. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If you are talking about EP....I think you need to go watch all his highlights again...his wrist shot is not far off of BB's, it is just as accurate and within about 5 MPH of Brock's

and his slapper is 97 MPH ( best of 3 try's)...EP should have no trouble getting his slapper up to 100 MPH by mid-season at latest.

....once again...I am late to the party...he was talking about Hughes I guess...Quinn's wrister is accurate and not too shabby but he does admit to needing to work on his one-timer...

We were taking about Hughes 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks who have scored 40+ goals in a season:

1978/89 - Ron Sedlbauer (40)

1982/83 - Darcy Rota (42)

1983/84 - Tony Tanti (45)

1986/87 - Tony Tanti (41)

1987/88 - Tony Tanti (40)

1992/93 - Pavel Bure (60)

1993/94 - Pavel Bure (60)

1995/96 - Alex Mogilny (55)

1997/98 - Pavel Bure (51)

2000/01 - Markus Naslund (41)

2001/02 - Markus Nasluind (40)

2002/03 - Markus Naslund (48) and Todd Bertuzzi (46)

2010/11 - Daniel Sedin (41) and Ryan Kesler (41)

There were only two seasons where 2 Canucks players scored 40+ goals each. That 2002/03 year will be tough to beat, but I believe Boeser and Pettersson could eventually do it, especially if they end up playing together. 

2 x 50 goal scorers   ; )

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d like two more.

Maybe Kirby Dach (prototype 1C with size and RH shot) next year and then Justin Barron (RH shot D with good size, excellent skating, #1D potential, and nearly a half point per game last year in the Q during his D-2 season) in 2020.

Obviously I’m not against Hughes and Lafreniere if we snag first overall picks (been talking those kids up for a while now), but if we’re in the 4-8ish range, Dach in 2019 and Barron in 2020 would be really nice adds to the existing pool.

Our forward group would look pretty great with a RH 1C with size, and adding a RH 1D type to the D order would look pretty sexy (with Q and OJ, plus maybe one or two of our B grade D prospects developing well).

The team needs a Getzlaf-type or a Blake-type of Dman as well, but I really like how the scouts have looked first to select skill and then intangibles with the remaining picks. 

One more year of picking high would be good. Two would be great! 

Personally, I was hoping for a Boqvist-EP powerplay, but looks like Hughes can do it as well. The Canucks have never had a pool with this much high-level skill and vision in it. It’s a great time to be a fan. The building of the core is my favourite part. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Nope.   I’ve watched hours of this kids highlights and game packages.  

I’m not saying he isn’t great, but the kid has a total sissy shot.  Big time.  

Wrist and slap shot are both very weak.  

They will improve, but let’s start being a little more honest with ourselves about our prospects.  

Some of them have flaws and things to work on. 

Boqvist had an elite snapper and wrist shot. 

It will be fun to watch these kids grown into men and into whatever players they become, considering how close they are in their styles and stature. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The team needs a Getzlaf-type or a Blake-type of Dman as well, but I really like how the scouts have looked first to select skill and then intangibles with the remaining picks. 

One more year of picking high would be good. Two would be great! 

Personally, I was hoping for a Boqvist-EP powerplay, but looks like Hughes can do it as well. The Canucks have never had a pool with this much high-level skill and vision in it. It’s a great time to be a fan. The building of the core is my favourite part. 

Yeah, I very much agree on how adding a Getzlaf and a Blake would really set off our existing prospect pool. Dach has a pretty good chance of being that 1C. Great offensive instincts and playmaking, with a pass first mentality, and he’s been on a massive growth spurt and I think is now around 6’3” - 6’4” or something ridiculous (after being like 5’9” only a year or two ago). Kid needs to fill in and adjust to his new frame, but he’s looking like a gem. I don’t see a true Blake type on the immediate horizon, as far as a hulking 6’4”, 220+ lbs who can produce 50 point seasons, but as far as RH Ds showing some early 1D potential, Barron is a possibility in 2020, and he’s already 6’1” or 6’2”, and may very well grow even bigger over the next few years.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s so cool!  This kid is driven to be the best.

Didnt he have a really strong grip at the draft combine?  He’s got really strong hands and forearms I think.  

Apparently this is how EP warms up before games :o