The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

It that a preseason game? 

Nope - but it is play outside of SEL even though it is with the SEL team.   Confused yet?

The Lakers are in Grupp E of the Champions League.   Växjö Lakers were drawn to Group E with Cardiff Devils, HC Davos and Bili Tygri Liberec.   For the fourth consecutive year, Växjö Lakers have qualified for games in the Champions Hockey League.  The 32 teams from across Europe are divided into eight groups of 4 teams. Each team plays six group game matches, one at home and one away match against each team in the group. The teams put one and two in the group move on to the final play. The group play for the 2017-18 season starts on August 24 and ends on October 11th.

Sixteen teams in the playoff are required four rounds to designate the winner of CHL 2017/18. The first three rounds (Eighth, Final and Semifinal) consist of two matches, a home match and a away match just like previous seasons. The playoff starts on 31 October and ends with a final on February 6, 2018.

• Upvote 2

EP looked at as one of the ten most likely candidates for "Rookie of Year" in SEL (SHL)

SKOGLUND: Tio kandidater till rookietiteln i SHL 2018

Roughly translated (sorry, not my best language):

Elias Pettersson (fw), Växjö

The Super Talent was drafted as fifth player this summer by Vancouver and spotted a brilliant future on the other side of the Atlantic. But first he will be debuting in SHL and he does in Växjö where he came from Timrå this summer.   The 18-year-old has all the opportunities to become an attraction in SHL. He also needs no pressure to deliver in Växjö, as there are others who can handle that task as well. Will get grow into it. It may be useful for Pettersson.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nope - but it is play outside of SEL even though it is with the SEL team.   Confused yet?

The Lakers are in Grupp E of the Champions League.   Växjö Lakers were drawn to Group E with Cardiff Devils, HC Davos and Bili Tygri Liberec.   For the fourth consecutive year, Växjö Lakers have qualified for games in the Champions Hockey League.  The 32 teams from across Europe are divided into eight groups of 4 teams. Each team plays six group game matches, one at home and one away match against each team in the group. The teams put one and two in the group move on to the final play. The group play for the 2017-18 season starts on August 24 and ends on October 11th.

Sixteen teams in the playoff are required four rounds to designate the winner of CHL 2017/18. The first three rounds (Eighth, Final and Semifinal) consist of two matches, a home match and a away match just like previous seasons. The playoff starts on 31 October and ends with a final on February 6, 2018.

Is that Cardiff, as in Wales?  They have professional hockey in Wales?  That's got to be semi-pro, no?  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is that Cardiff, as in Wales?  They have professional hockey in Wales?  That's got to be semi-pro, no?  

You are another one that should come over the Europe and learn about the professional hockey here.   It is indeed "that" Cardiff and they are very much a professional team.   A fair number of Canadians.   They will be in tough against the Lakers and Davos HC in this grouping but they play a disciplined defensive style and have some good goaltending this year.

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

You are another one that should come over the Europe and learn about the professional hockey here.   It is indeed "that" Cardiff and they are very much a professional team.   A fair number of Canadians.   They will be in tough against the Lakers and Davos HC in this grouping but they play a disciplined defensive style and have some good goaltending this year.

Sounds a bit iffy to me, having a team in Wales.  No way a team there could sustain full time professionals.  

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If I travel to Europe on a sports vacation, it will be to watch soccer, not hockey.

I still believe it's the best place for Pettersson this season though.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds a bit iffy to me, having a team in Wales.  No way a team there could sustain full time professionals.  

Uh, they do just fine.   Why do you say that?   Have you been to one of their games?   While only about 3000 spectators can fit in the rink, it is usually loud and full to the rafters with some of the best fans in Europe.   They even have seven retired jerseys in their storied franchise.   

Again, come to Europe and check out some hockey that will surprise you Alf!   :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, they do just fine.   Why do you say that?   Have you been to one of their games?   While only about 3000 spectators can fit in the rink, it is usually loud and full to the rafters with some of the best fans in Europe.   They even have seven retired jerseys in their storied franchise.   

Again, come to Europe and check out some hockey that will surprise you Alf!   :)

I know there are good leagues across the Atlantic.  It's good to hear the sport is growing.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

It's professional but quite low quality. I went to a game a few years ago to watch the defending league champs play and it was awful. Pretty sure any AHL team, and many of the better jnr teams would have been able to beat them.

On a funny side note, one of the players on the ice was Theo Fleury. It was his last kick at the professional can. A couple of games after the one I watched he got suspended for going after a fan who was taunting him while he was serving a penalty.

12 game "Mega Thursday" of Champions League action: http://www.championshockeyleague.com/en/news/12-games-on-mega-chl-thursday

Växjö Lakers (Pettersson) vs HC Davos

gamecenter (start: 09:30)

Cardiff Devils vs. Bílí Tygři Liberec (Jašek)

gamecenter (start: 11:00)

KAC Klagenfurt vs Frölunda Indians (Gunnarsson)

gamecenter (start: 10:30)

TPS Turku (Palmu) vs. SC Bern 

gamecenter (start: 09:00)

Not sure if Palmu will be playing. He's just over two weeks into his injury recover (return was estimated at 2-4 weeks).

In any case, all the games should be available live streamed (hopefully from the links above) or just find the streams via the Champions League website (for non-geoblocked countries like Canada anyway): 

http://www.championshockeyleague.com/en

EDIT: start times listed should be for local time in Vancouver (unless I botched it) :) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

If anyone has a link for Pettersson's game please post! 

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

12 game "Mega Thursday" of Champions League action: http://www.championshockeyleague.com/en/news/12-games-on-mega-chl-thursday

Växjö Lakers (Pettersson) vs HC Davos

gamecenter (start: 09:30)

Cardiff Devils vs. Bílí Tygři Liberec (Jašek)

gamecenter (start: 11:00)

KAC Klagenfurt vs Frölunda Indians (Gunnarsson)

gamecenter (start: 10:30)

TPS Turku (Palmu) vs. SC Bern 

gamecenter (start: 09:00)

Not sure if Palmu will be playing. He's just over two weeks into his injury recover (return was estimated at 2-4 weeks).

In any case, all the games should be available live streamed (hopefully from the links above) or just find the streams via the Champions League website (for non-geoblocked countries like Canada anyway): 

http://www.championshockeyleague.com/en

EDIT: start times listed should be for local time in Vancouver (unless I botched it) :) 

27 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

If anyone has a link for Pettersson's game please post! 

@Odd. has embedded the Pettersson game above. Cheers! :) 

For the other games, just click on the gamecenter link in my earlier post and there will be a "live stream" button on top menu bar for each game.

EDIT: streams aren't available until the listed game times (since they're live)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Did the Lakers coach just say "Don't get too horny?"

Also, it's cool that they actually have the coaches mic'd during the games.

Yeah I was just gonna say I heard that too

• Upvote 1