The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

exactly this, wish we had Nylander but lets just be happy that we see the franchise values elite skill over "meat and potatoes" 

Virtanen

Prust

Sutter

Gudbranson

Sbisa

Dorsett

This franchise used a lot of assets to bring in meat and potatoes players.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

You serious???

They're almost equal. Benning didn't screw this up

Once again Benning has gone "off the board" as he did with Virtanen (ahead of Nylander and Ehlers) and with Juolevi (ahead of Tkachuk). Not a long way off the board, but long enough.

48 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Just accept the fact that he knows more than us

The question is, does he know more than other GMs or guys like Craig Button. Button has Glass at 4 and Pettersson at 8. ISS has Glass at 6 and Pettersson at 20. The evidence is pretty strong that GMs who go off the board in the first round are more likely than not to be making a mistake. 

If they were going to pick Pettersson, why not trade down to do it.

Of the 12 standard rankings provided at http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings, Pettersson only makes the top 6 in one and is frequently outside the top 10.

48 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Said this would be a good pick from a long time ago.

Great to see the Canucks chose skill over size. That's what lead us to take Virtanen over Nylander. 

This is great. Ecstatic. 

Benning is like a general fighting the last war. He made a big mistake in taking the rugged Canadian kid with Virtanen when he should have taken the high skill European. Having been burnt before he went the other way this time. But I think it is probably another mistake.

I was hoping to have someone to root for on Canada's team at the world juniors (Glass or Vilardi). Once again when it comes to international competition if there is any Canuck representation, it will be on the Scandanavian teams.

Edited by JamesB
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Sometimes I wonder why the Canucks bother hiring any professional scouts, when we already have plenty of them on these message boards willing to do it for free.

id probably feel the same way if those scouts ever made a pick that didnt look like a comparative disappointment after the fact.

maybe ill come around but im feeling especially hopeless at the moment

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the Canucks will be tempted to extend the Sedins by one or two years so that they can continue to mentor our next Swedish "twins" in Dahlen and Petterson. 

I think we're really going to be spoiled watching this next tandem of swedes for years to come. I love that Dahlen brings some grit, and that both are tenacious! Very pumped right now.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Tough to say he'd be there with the way this draft is shaking out. Look st Lias Andersson going 7th and Vilardi 11th.

And Rasmussen going to Detroit.

This is a really hard draft to predict, and I doubt there was much value in trading down in terms of return.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Glory_Days said:

Yeah, I agree with you. None of us have a crystal ball and if one of us does...WTF man, come on and share it with the rest of us!

I don't see Pettersson becoming a legit 1st line center in NHL, I think either he may be converted to a wing, or will slot in as our 2nd line C, neither are bad, I'd argue at least a third of players picked that are picked as centers get converted to wing at NHL level.

Glass was a bonafide Centre