The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Nope, shootout goals are independent from regular stats.  

For the Calder race, I get the feeling that maybe he won't be winning it.  Because he rocketed out of the gate early, it seems that unless he is scoring a hat-trick or putting up 5 points per game, he isn't garnering any headlines.  2 assists tonight?  Ho-hum....  

The recency bias, Eastern bias.... I think it might be Dahlin that wins the Calder, unless Carter Hart puts up a string of shutouts and drag Philly into the post-season.  

It doesn't matter if he wins it or not. Even Crosby didn't win it and neither did McDavid but those two are the best players in the NHL since 2005- onwards and 2015- onwards. Dahlin is putting up a great season so if he deserves it as well. Since 2005-06 (lockout), Dion Phaneuf holds the record for most points by a rookie defenceman with 49 points. Dahlin is on pace for 44-45 points.

Having said that, I think EP will win it. EP's goal totals (will be close to 40 goals), # of game-winning goals, an all-star selection, putting the team in contention of playoffs, great +/- on a team with negative goal differentials, PPG pace behind only a handful of rookies that went on to have HOF careers in the last 20-30 years, all those things lead to him winning the award.

Edited by khay

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Nope, shootout goals are independent from regular stats.  

For the Calder race, I get the feeling that maybe he won't be winning it.  Because he rocketed out of the gate early, it seems that unless he is scoring a hat-trick or putting up 5 points per game, he isn't garnering any headlines.  2 assists tonight?  Ho-hum....  

The recency bias, Eastern bias.... I think it might be Dahlin that wins the Calder, unless Carter Hart puts up a string of shutouts and drag Philly into the post-season.  

I have to completely disagree with you on this. I would say that the Calder race isn't even close, and likely won't be for the rest of the season (assuming EP stays healthy).

No knocks on Dahlin as he's put a fine season together, but what EP has done is next-level stuff. This isn't me being a fanboy, although I am. When you consider what this team is like with EP vs without, it's pretty clear who is the better rookie - at least IMO.

For sure, you gotta watch that eastern bias - on this we agree.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

I love Elias hit on Neal with 3 min to go in the third yesterday! Just amazing that he does that aswell.. 

Are you watching the games live in Sweden? If so, the Country must be happy with what they are seeing. That was who he body checked, and, he knocked him on his arse! The Real Deal is looking like a real failure for the Flames.

Petey is 25th in the NHL for points/game with 1.11 points/game. 

He is ahead of: Tavares Lindholm Malkin Giroux Atkinson Landeskog Kessel Tkachuk Stone Kuznetsov Hertl Barkov O'Reilly Toews Backstrom Zibenejad Radulov Malkin (rounds of the top 50)

He is within 0.1 points/game of: Hall Stamkos Aho Ovechkin Eichel Monahan Shiefele Duchene Marchand Matthews Wheeler Crosby Draistl Pastrnak Panarin 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

Petey is 25th in the NHL for points/game with 1.11 points/game. 

He is ahead of: Tavares Lindholm Malkin Giroux Atkinson Landeskog Kessel Tkachuk Stone Kuznetsov Hertl Barkov O'Reilly Toews Backstrom Zibenejad Radulov Malkin (rounds of the top 50)

He is within 0.1 points/game of: Hall Stamkos Aho Ovechkin Eichel Monahan Shiefele Duchene Marchand Matthews Wheeler Crosby Draistl Pastrnak Panarin 

Very impressive considering how most of these guys play with better line mates and have more TOI.

If he can finish the season with above 1 PPG that’s excellent but I wouldn’t be surprised if he improves even further. 

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Are you watching the games live in Sweden? If so, the Country must be happy with what they are seeing. That was who he body checked, and, he knocked him on his arse! The Real Deal is looking like a real failure for the Flames.

Im trying to see as many as I can.. The 7pm (4am) games i see the last half before work (workday starts at 6 am Swedish time aka PST+9) the 4-5 pm games is hard to catch since they start at 1-2 am which would ruin me..

The matinees is a lock to see

The Swedish media is overhyped by EPs and RDs successes, two Swedes battling for the Calder and what Seems to be a top Dman and top Centre in the world in a couple years 

Edited by ForzaTikare

1 hour ago, ForzaTikare said:

Im trying to see as many as I can.. The 7pm (4am) games i see the last half before work (workday starts at 6 am Swedish time aka PST+9) the 4-5 pm games is hard to catch since they start at 1-2 am which would ruin me..

The matinees is a lock to see

The Swedish media is overhyped by EPs and RDs successes, two Swedes battling for the Calder and what Seems to be a top Dman and top Centre in the world in a couple years 

We don't get to see many highlights of Rasmus, but, he's going to be a stud. Possibly because he plays in Buffalo. Now if he were a Leaf, I would go as far as saying, that Elias doesn't stand a chance for the rookie of the year. Both, as you say are going to be All World class in a couple of years. I like hearing your Swedish perspective on your Countrymen playing in the NHL, and those that are up and coming prospects as well.

22 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

We don't get to see many highlights of Rasmus, but, he's going to be a stud. Possibly because he plays in Buffalo. Now if he were a Leaf, I would go as far as saying, that Elias doesn't stand a chance for the rookie of the year. Both, as you say are going to be All World class in a couple of years. I like hearing your Swedish perspective on your Countrymen playing in the NHL, and those that are up and coming prospects as well.

Ye, and as i said since the last draft, Canucks missed out on Hållander that was drafted by Pittsburgh, he is going to be an amazing powerforward.. Will be a perfect 3rd line winger on a contender

• Cheers 1

this can be said about Elias! He is in very elite company with point production for games played. That being said he is actually miles ahead of them all and 1st on the ballot.

All the players cheated and looked for offense first. His plus minus speaks volumes. I know their is chatter about Marky being MVP, but its just chatter. Goalies have to save a game here and there! But you have to score to win. For all the games Marky has stole this year he has mailed a couple in. I am not dishing Marky, But man Elias took a team that was hanging on and made two plays against Calgary that made the difference, then he scored in the shoot-out. When play-offs come Elias will be so dangerous because he doesn't have to change how he plays to win a 1-0 game! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cory40 said:

So this is kind of cool: In the history of the , there have been 11 players who have scored 25 or more goals in 44 games before their 21st birthday,...and have two of them on the same line right now.

what a class act Kariya is, great interview and didn't really talk of himself, just of others he admired. Always wished he had somehow played in his hometown!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/10/2019 at 10:20 AM, khay said:

It doesn't matter if he wins it or not. Even Crosby didn't win it and neither did McDavid but those two are the best players in the NHL since 2005- onwards and 2015- onwards. Dahlin is putting up a great season so if he deserves it as well. Since 2005-06 (lockout), Dion Phaneuf holds the record for most points by a rookie defenceman with 49 points. Dahlin is on pace for 44-45 points.

Having said that, I think EP will win it. EP's goal totals (will be close to 40 goals), # of game-winning goals, an all-star selection, putting the team in contention of playoffs, great +/- on a team with negative goal differentials, PPG pace behind only a handful of rookies that went on to have HOF careers in the last 20-30 years, all those things lead to him winning the award.

He is 19 pts ahead of Dahlin and has played fewer games.  He has had the biggest impact of any rookie this year on an NHL team.  

EP40 is our MVP atm and he is still racking up points.  40 goals is within reach this year and as good as Dahlin has been, he has not outperformed EP40.  

When you are producing points on a pace that's is ranked with the best players in League History, your likely to win a Calder.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

***Bold prediction***

EP might actually end up Gretzky-like in terms of how far ahead of the competition he is in his prime. He has a skill set that if he continues to build upon could carry him to having seasons of 60G/80A for 140 points. He'll never put up 200+ point seasons, but thats simply because the game has totally changed and even Gretzky himself would not have put up anything near those numbers if he played today. 

My argument is that EP may have 140-150 point seasons in his prime while his peers are topping out around 120, which is almost what you could have expected Gretzky to put up in this era in his prime, in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

***Bold prediction***

EP might actually end up Gretzky-like in terms of how far ahead of the competition he is in his prime. He has a skill set that if he continues to build upon could carry him to having seasons of 60G/80A for 140 points. He'll never put up 200+ point seasons, but thats simply because the game has totally changed and even Gretzky himself would not have put up anything near those numbers if he played today. 

My argument is that EP may have 140-150 point seasons in his prime while his peers are topping out around 120, which is almost what you could have expected Gretzky to put up in this era in his prime, in my opinion.

I don’t think you’re being bold at all.  People keep comparing Pettersson to Gretzky.  I agree they are very similar offensively.  However, defensively Pettersson is a far better player than Gretzky.  

Pettersson is like no other player we’ve seen before.  He combines elite offensive skills, with a hyper competitive defensive mentality.  

He might become the best player of this generation, and quickly too.  

And we have Quinn Hughes coming too!  He’s the best D man to come along since Doughty.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think you’re being bold at all.  People keep comparing Pettersson to Gretzky.  I agree they are very similar offensively.  However, defensively Pettersson is a far better player than Gretzky.  

Pettersson is like no other player we’ve seen before.  He combines elite offensive skills, with a hyper competitive defensive mentality.  

He might become the best player of this generation, and quickly too.  

And we have Quinn Hughes coming too!  He’s the best D man to come along since Doughty.  

Tons of people compare EP to Gretkzy because of his playstyle. Very, very few people compare them on a level of dominance. Gretzky tied for the league lead in points in his rookie season and broke the points record in his sophomore year. Gretzky wasn't just the best player in the NHL during his heyday, he was by a country mile the best player in the NHL. Stylistically, they are eerily similar, but Gretzky is still in another world compared to EP when it comes to dominance of the game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1