The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

One goal in 19 games is one hell of a slump, considering his lethal shot for 3/4 of the season. Petey has to be playing through some sort of injury that's hampering his shooting. Might explain his reluctance to shot as well. This slump could easily turn into 1 in 23 games to end the season.

Probably.  It's been a long, gruelling season for Elias.  He's pretty much carried the team and taken a lot of pounding along the way.  Doesn't surprise me that he's fallen off in the later stages of the season.

Put some muscle on this summer and he'll be good to go in September.

4 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

One goal in 19 games is one hell of a slump, considering his lethal shot for 3/4 of the season. Petey has to be playing through some sort of injury that's hampering his shooting. Might explain his reluctance to shot as well. This slump could easily turn into 1 in 23 games to end the season.

Source?

Yeah....there is none.  Just another person saying a player is injured because they are in a slump.

#fakenews

PS: as others have said, Petey is probably just tired from his grueling 1st NHL season. No need to make up fake excuses though.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

14 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Source?

Yeah....there is none.  Just another person saying a player is injured because they are in a slump.

#fakenews

PS: as others have said, Petey is probably just tired from his grueling 1st NHL season. No need to make up fake excuses though.

1 goal in 19 games is quite a slump because of fatigue.

16 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Source?

#fakenews

I heard he's colluding with the Russians.

Cnn told.me

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Whatever happened to his lethal shot? Look how Boeser's wrist injury in Tampa last season affected his shot. Petey is too good and hardworking to have 1 goal in 19 games. Guess you're not concerned, eh?

Honestly, I'm not sure how you could draw that from their posts. They're clearly concerned, as you are--they just think it's presumptuous to assume injuries are the cause as opposed to just natural ebbs and flows of a rookie's season.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I'm not sure how you could draw that from their posts. They're clearly concerned, as you are--they just think it's presumptuous to assume injuries are the cause as opposed to just natural ebbs and flows of a rookie's season.

Teams and players are known to hide minor injuries just to protect those players who are playing through them. Possible, repeat..possible injuries shouldn't be dismissed. They have been lengthy stretches in between games in the past month and a half and with a 7-game homestand, one would think that Pettersson is getting some rest and more practice time. That should be enough to start scoring again. However, it appears that Pettersson won't even crack 30 goals.

12 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

Pettersson has said himself he feels fine physically. It's probably just confidence thing when things aren't going in for him. I'm not seeing him try the dekes he would early in the season recently.

I've been to two games this year... One earlier in season and one just last week.  Watching Pettersson was quite a bit different.  He was definitely not as quick, puck control not nearly as on and even passes weren't as crisp.  He may not say it, but he is worn down for sure.  He may get a little bit of a spring in his step back because of Hughes arrival... Would be awesome to end season on a high note for sure.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Teams and players are known to hide minor injuries just to protect those players who are playing through them. Possible, repeat..possible injuries shouldn't be dismissed. They have been lengthy stretches in between games in the past month and a half and with a 7-game homestand, one would think that Pettersson is getting some rest and more practice time. That should be enough to start scoring again. However, it appears that Pettersson won't even crack 30 goals.

Oh my how horrific for a rookie to not be able to hit 30 goals.  Pettersson is definitely a bust...

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

hehe id say its  both mentally and a physical drainage that u cant tell its there since it just slowly wears u down. It takes it toll on confidence and sharpness and we wont se any explosive things for the remainder of the season. it will be more an occasional assist here and there. It will take some time to "recharge" the batteries and for now its just a long road untill the end of the season. 

Petey is going to be fine. He is still getting assists so he is still finding ways to be effective. The NHL is one heck of a grind especially with the amount of travel and physicality of the game night after night. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I suppose it is and I think that’s part of him slowing down, together with being a bit worn down. He’s still playing well and getting points at 1-2C though, so it’s hard to really complain going back to what could be reasonably be expected for his first season.

I’m ok with missing the playoffs if we get a valuable piece at the draft, but next season I think it’s important to start winning to avoid EP, Bo, QH and Boeser being stuck in a losing culture a la Deadmonton. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, J-P said:

I suppose it is and I think that’s part of him slowing down, together with being a bit worn down. He’s still playing well and getting points at 1-2C though, so it’s hard to really complain going back to what could be reasonably be expected for his first season.

I’m ok with missing the playoffs if we get a valuable piece at the draft, but next season I think it’s important to start winning to avoid EP, Bo, QH and Boeser being stuck in a losing culture a la Deadmonton. 

I agree. If we don't improve on this season, I will start to get a bit concerned. I'm expecting/hoping that we end up at least in the mid to high 80s in points and make a fight for the playoffs until the final 2 or 3 games. Even better would be a jump up in the standings straight into the playoffs, but I hesitate to be that optimistic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I agree. If we don't improve on this season, I will start to get a bit concerned. I'm expecting/hoping that we end up at least in the mid to high 80s in points and make a fight for the playoffs until the final 2 or 3 games. Even better would be a jump up in the standings straight into the playoffs, but I hesitate to be that optimistic.

Hard to see us not improving next season. Now most of the team are young enough that they can reasonably be expected to improve from year to year, and the addition of a PMD like Hughes is another big bump in our expected performance. I expect us to make the playoffs next season.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think EP and Boeser needs to get separated into different lines if EP is ever going to score again. His shot totals in games have decreased dramatically and when you watch the games, it is clear EP's number one option seems to be passing to Boeser regardless is he has a good shot or not. It's starting to be Henrikesq

Edited by smokes