The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Long Grind trying to do too much over thinking is the problem. He is playing like he is unsure  and makes way more mistakes  Greens system seems to coach the offense out of players. You can see that when Pettersson's  line is on they get hemmed in their own end a lot. JB can fix this with a better D core.  A Big Skilled forward is what Pettersson and Boeser need added to their left wing to excel going forward. Kakko anyone

5 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

This walk with Elias is the dumbest thing about EP40 mania tbh, and the fact Calgary does it too with Lindholm makes me hate it even more.  I prefer the Alien dressed up as a Saint - he had it right.  St. Elias, the patron saint of Dangles

Seeing a lot of eastern media picking Bennington over EP40 for the Calder:picard:  Including the guy that's in the Province today.  I guess we should prepare ourselves for the possible disappointment.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Seeing a lot of eastern media picking Bennington over EP40 for the Calder:picard:  Including the guy that's in the Province today.  I guess we should prepare ourselves for the possible disappointment.

I think they're just looking for stories and trying to spice up something that is likely pretty clear-cut. Same way that every year people try to spice up the "who's picked 1st overall in the draft?" story, even though it rarely goes against the consensus in the end.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Saw that as well. Thanks for your support TOR. Was it that Traikos guy? Yeah, don't like him. Has a backup goalie ever won the Calder? Pettersson needs to get to 30 goals (3 to go) over the next two games. 

Edited by NUCKER67

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I think they're just looking for stories and trying to spice up something that is likely pretty clear-cut. Same way that every year people try to spice up the "who's picked 1st overall in the draft?" story, even though it rarely goes against the consensus in the end.

Honestly the Bennington love is just ignorance. Hes been playing very well for a rookie no dout, but lets look at a couple things here. 

Hes almost 26 years old...

Many of his wins are team wins allowing less than league average shots. Here are the shots against in his 22 wins. (Shutouts are bolded) 

25 29 22 30 13 20 24 32 31 23 21 31 33 32 19 27 41 17 22 42 25 26

Like I said hes performed well, but its not a 1 man show. 19 and 21 save shutout... whens the last time marky seen that few shots.

Hes let in 4 goals on his last 25 shots. Showing signs of fatigue maybe.  Hes slowing down after 28 games while EP carried us through 3/4 of a season amidst a concussion and a lower body injury.

Lastly (this may be pure ignorance on my part) has anyone seen him make a rediculous save?  Admittedly i dont watch many blues games but is he making saves behind his back and stacking pads, or are these shots coming from the outside mostly? Because EP was highlight central for 50 games.  

At the end of the day Bennington has performed admirably, but EP still gets my vote (shocker lol).

Edit: 

To add to this the blue allow the 4 least shots per game. 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I agree 73%, goalies are sometimes the benefactors of a good team in front of them. STL brought in some players as well this year (O'Reilly, Perron, Bozak, Maroon), so they probably helped give STL success. Pettersson has been the far and away front runner all season, but then he stopped producing a couple of months ago.  Jack and Quinn Hughes could be battling for the Calder next season. That should be interesting. 

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Saw that as well. Thanks for your support TOR. Was it that Traikos guy? Yeah, don't like him. Has a backup goalie ever won the Calder? Pettersson needs to get to 30 goals (3 to go) over the next two games. 

Yeah.  I would love to know if they put Canuck articles in the Toronto Sun lol.

Anyone care to dissect what’s wrong with Petey and the first line for the last 25 games or so? My theory is that they have not been able to get the puck at all, loses almost all of the 50/50 battles. When you can’t retrive the puck you can’t score. 

46 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Anyone care to dissect what’s wrong with Petey and the first line for the last 25 games or so? My theory is that they have not been able to get the puck at all, loses almost all of the 50/50 battles. When you can’t retrive the puck you can’t score. 

He is a very young first year star player who has been introduced to the rigors of the NHL on a bottom feeder team with very little support always playing against the other teams best defense.

There is nothing wrong with Petey.

Carry on....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

He's a rookie.  65 points is a Canucks all time record for rookies.  And he did it in 69 games, which is even better than Bure.  

I am not sure why the long slump, most likely fatigue from a long NHL season, plus he had to deal with 2 injuries this year.  We will see how he does next year with a full summer off and training.  He has a very bright future ahead of him...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

EP40 has kind of fallen off ever since the Leivo trade, and Green's penchant on favoring him. It wasn't a bad trade by any means, but now we are seeing that Goldy DID have hand in EP40's success, it just wasnt a guy just riding on his success. Goldy was able to get Pettersson the puck in good spots to score.They can say what they want about Goldy's deficiancies but he clearly had a hand in Petterssons success early in the season, thats why I wouldn't give up on him just yet

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

EP40 has kind of fallen off ever since the Leivo trade, and Green's penchant on favoring him. It wasn't a bad trade by any means, but now we are seeing that Goldy DID have hand in EP40's success, it just wasnt a guy just riding on his success. Goldy was able to get Pettersson the puck in good spots to score.They can say what they want about Goldy's deficiancies but he clearly had a hand in Petterssons success early in the season, thats why I wouldn't give up on him just yet

You have absolutely no proof goldly had any hand in how Petey played. That is not how evidence works son.

Just because goldy gets benched for being lazy or whatever in no way connects to why Petey had a slump. That is called an assumption. Good god.

• Upvote 1

Id say this is nothing more then a mental fatigue. Sharpness goes and the confidence gets lost. Next season he will be more prepared but also depends on how hard he will train for the season and how well he recovers during the summerbreak. The mental game is important for someone thats supposed to be racking up the points. Petey has been ok but no points has made it to the board so it just makes the struggle harder. how much he improves physically will definetly have an impact for the next season and hopefully he will mentaly be more prepared during these last stretches of the season, since he will have this years experience with him.  

I remember Brock slowing down last year around the same time.. even though his injury may have kinda masked that fact..

there's no way to account for the rigors of the NHL for a rookie.. maybe the same situation as when I golf a couple times a year, I'm pretty much done after 14 holes.. 

but I digress.. 

• Upvote 2