The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Great research, friend. It's not surprising that EP's shooting percentage normalized. As exciting as his start was, we all knew that a percentage over 25 was unsustainable. Even being over 15% is high in today's day and age.

I think one of the things that Pettersson will learn, and adjust, is that he needs to find ways to take more shots.  Look at someone like Kucherov, who's also a prolific playmaker (and has twice as many assists as goals this year).  He's averaging close to 3.3 shots/ game in his past three seasons, which coincided with his rise from a good, 60-70pt player, to a PPG+ player.  If Petey plays the full season and averages 3 shots per game, and shoots at 15% (which put hims on par with Kucherov/ Matthews), he would have 37 goals.  He could easily be a 50-60 assists guy in the league, maybe more.  Long term, that's an attainable goal: 35 goals, 85-95pts a year, 40+ goals or 100+ pts in a great year.  Kucherov only averaged 2.2 shots per game in his first two seasons, so it's something that young players learn as they go along. 

On 4/5/2019 at 1:28 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

You have absolutely no proof goldly had any hand in how Petey played. That is not how evidence works son.

Just because goldy gets benched for being lazy or whatever in no way connects to why Petey had a slump.

Check out @ChrisFaber39’s Tweet:

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Check out @ChrisFaber39’s Tweet:

This is where actually watching th games come into play.  Once goldy and EP started to slump offensively, goldy was take off that line due to his inability to defend. We would have lost many more games if he wasn't removed from the top 6. Leivo on the other hand is alot better in his own and actually plays well without the puck so he still contributes while he (and ep) arent scoring.

It'snot that hard to figure out where the weak link is on that line. Boeser can produce without  EP. EP can produce without boeser. Goldy sits in the pressbox if he isnt reaping the benefits of those two.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

This is where actually watching th games come into play.  Once goldy and EP started to slump offensively, goldy was take off that line due to his inability to defend. We would have lost many more games if he wasn't removed from the top 6. Leivo on the other hand is alot better in his own and actually plays well without the puck so he still contributes while he (and ep) arent scoring.

It'snot that hard to figure out where the weak link is on that line. Boeser can produce without  EP. EP can produce without boeser. Goldy sits in the pressbox if he isnt reaping the benefits of those two.

https://tenor.com/wr8Q.gif

Reading stats is hard I guess.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

https://tenor.com/wr8Q.gif

Reading stats is hard I guess.

So you think the only reason for Pettersson's slump is because goldobin was taken off that line? Not his shooting percentage coming back down to earth? Not the schedule grinding him down? 

Funny how he produced less on the PP as well. Is goldobin the cause for that too even though he never really played pp1?

Also do you insult everyone who disagrees with you?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Goldobin has top 6 skill and speed. He's also young. Him and Pettersson were having success earlier in the season playing together. And then Green started trying Goldobin all over the lineup, wanting him to play better without the puck. Then he started benching Goldobin. I hope they haven't destroyed his confidence. This team confuses me at times. It seems to be okay for Jake, Eriksson and Granlund to mail it in every other game, but they seem to be nitpicking with Goldy. I have always believed that they should've kept Goldobin and Pettersson together all season, so they can develop some chemistry. They started having success together, so why break them up?  

7 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I did watch the games, fact is Petterson was much more dynamic with Goldobin on his line. Stats say so, our power play was better, and most and importantly our RECORD was better. Im not saying its mostly Goldobin but he has to get some credit. People can yap all they want "Goldys just getting 2nd assists" (which by the way is wrong, hes had quite a bit of 1st ones, directly  to dispell that), the puck ended up in the back of the net. Thats the result we wanted right? After the the all star break, I believe there was a stretch where the team went like 20-25 days without scoring PP goal, Leivo was in the PP why wasn't the result the same then? People can have a lot of excuses, Leivo had a good stretch, but couldn't get it done. Seems to me you're blaming Goldys play for the Canucks loses, you've seen our defenceman right? Is there a mishap here and there on Goldobins part, sure, hes still a young player, thats to be expected. But to act as if the puck is ending up in the back of the net because of him everytime hes on the ice is just non sense. Your last comment saying EP can produce without Boeser, yes that true, Brock was missed 4-5 games in November I think?, guess who was with EP? Goldobin. EP40 still needs his wingers to help him produce, he's not a one man show that just trots out on the ice and turns pylons into art ross candidates. Simply put, he produced with one guy, and didn't with the other guy. Theres evidence of that already statistically, even analytics, which im not a fan of, even back it up.

As for teams gunning for EP40, tayloring their defences to shut him down, NHL teams aren't stupid. When you're scoring a goal a game, teams probably had EP40 circled by the 20th - 30th game. They can tell and have scouted the team enough way way WAY prior to the all star break knowing who the spotlight should be on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Goldobin has top 6 skill and speed. He's also young. Him and Pettersson were having success earlier in the season playing together. And then Green started trying Goldobin all over the lineup, wanting him to play better without the puck. Then he started benching Goldobin. I hope they haven't destroyed his confidence. This team confuses me at times. It seems to be okay for Jake, Eriksson and Granlund to mail it in every other game, but they seem to be nitpicking with Goldy. I have always believed that they should've kept Goldobin and Pettersson together all season, so they can develop some chemistry. They started having success together, so why break them up?  

I agree, I hope they don't give up on Goldy just yet, theres a lot of talent there, and we can't just be giving away young players for nothing just because they had a so so season. IMO I think as a fanbase, our expectations have been sky high now on our prospects that just because they dominated the AHL, we expect them to be major contributors already, but thats not the case. Not everybody develops the same way. I believe we've just been absolutely spoiled with all these guys coming up that spend little to no time at Utica after being drafted, Virtanen, McCann, Horvat, Petterson, Hughes, Boeser, that we are expecting the same jump with guys like Goldobin, Lind, Gadjovich, we forget that it takes time for these guys to succeed. The team has gone a LONG LONG ways from 10 years ago when the prospect pool was so shallow, every bit of Matt Beattie, or guys like Alex Grenier news, the fanbase was eating it up. Now it seems like theres a new kid being pencilled in every opening night roster LOL. We have to keep our expectations in check with all these young players

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

So you think the only reason for Pettersson's slump is because goldobin was taken off that line? Not his shooting percentage coming back down to earth? Not the schedule grinding him down? 

Funny how he produced less on the PP as well. Is goldobin the cause for that too even though he never really played pp1?

Also do you insult everyone who disagrees with you?

The very first thing you said to me was an insult. I answered a comment that stated there is zero proof, with the proof. Many of you don't like it. 

Petey was way more dynamic with goldobin vs leivo. Green likes to play dump and chase north south hockey which is why he prefers leivo. 

During peteys slump, goldobin finally came out of the press box for a couple games and one of those games he was put back on that line. Guess what happened? Petey scored. 

Talk about watching games when you blindly deny the facts. 

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

The very first thing you said to me was an insult. I answered a comment that stated there is zero proof, with the proof. Many of you don't like it. 

Petey was way more dynamic with goldobin vs leivo. Green likes to play dump and chase north south hockey which is why he prefers leivo. 

During peteys slump, goldobin finally came out of the press box for a couple games and one of those games he was put back on that line. Guess what happened? Petey scored. 

Talk about watching games when you blindly deny the facts. 

Very first thing I said to you was an insult? Excuse me?? Are you sharing your owm tweets because thats who i was referring to. Mr Twitter analytics guy.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 1

The NHL can't give the Calder to this guy, can they?

WINNIPEG — St. Louis Blues rookie goalie Jordan Binnington says he has grown up since teenage tweets about women in burkas and cab drivers who speak different languages.

The tweets, from 2013 and 2014, were dug up by California-based reporter Paul Gackle. The Winnipeg Free Press reported on the tweets in a story on Tuesday night. Binnington addressed the subject at Wednesday's morning skate before the Blues faced the Winnipeg Jets in Game 1 of their NHL first-round playoff series.

"It was a while ago when I was a teenager and it was a little sarcasm, joking around," said Binnington, a 25-year-old native of Richmond Hill, Ont.

"I was a teenager and that's what life's about. You live and learn and you grow as a human so, you know, I'm just here to play a couple hockey games."

In the first tweet, Binnington wrote, "I was thinking. when people who wear the burkas are at the airport how is the security able to see if that's them in their passport... Srsly."

In the second tweet, Binnington wrote, "Also If you're underage & nervous of getting into a bar, throw the damn burka on. no way the bouncer will get into that awkward questioning."

In the third tweet, Binnington wrote, "Ya taxi man I'd probably rather listen to the radio than listen to you talk on the phone in another language."

Edited by NUCKER67

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

WINNIPEG — St. Louis Blues rookie goalie Jordan Binnington says he has grown up since teenage tweets about women in burkas and cab drivers who speak different languages.

The tweets, from 2013 and 2014, were dug up by California-based reporter Paul Gackle. The Winnipeg Free Press reported on the tweets in a story on Tuesday night. Binnington addressed the subject at Wednesday's morning skate before the Blues faced the Winnipeg Jets in Game 1 of their NHL first-round playoff series.

"It was a while ago when I was a teenager and it was a little sarcasm, joking around," said Binnington, a 25-year-old native of Richmond Hill, Ont.

"I was a teenager and that's what life's about. You live and learn and you grow as a human so, you know, I'm just here to play a couple hockey games."

In the first tweet, Binnington wrote, "I was thinking. when people who wear the burkas are at the airport how is the security able to see if that's them in their passport... Srsly."

In the second tweet, Binnington wrote, "Also If you're underage & nervous of getting into a bar, throw the damn burka on. no way the bouncer will get into that awkward questioning."

In the third tweet, Binnington wrote, "Ya taxi man I'd probably rather listen to the radio than listen to you talk on the phone in another language."

I wouldsay nah, but this league loves to shaft us.

37 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nope. Elias played the requisite number of games and is the Calder favorite. Binnnnnnnnninnnnngtonnnnn is going to choke in the playoffs anyway.

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Wow this is garbage that someone brought  this up to him in an interview and it's garbage that you are bringing it up in here trying to tarnish his reputation, right before the kid is about to play the most important games of his life.

Is the Calder really that important that we need to act offended and bring up Twitter posts from 5 years ago?  It's a stupid individual award, Petterson will probably win it, if not he will finish 2nd.  Who cares.  Barzal won it last year and is anybody taking about it anymore?  It's not important.  How about a Stanley cup?  That's what I want.

It may not be important to you but clearly it's important to some people and does make for something nice to have in the meantime.

Not that I'm going to stop you from being "Mr. Judgmental" either. It's not like your opinion matters any more than the person who posted the article. (See? I can do it too)

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Wow this is garbage that someone brought  this up to him in an interview and it's garbage that you are bringing it up in here trying to tarnish his reputation, right before the kid is about to play the most important games of his life.

Is the Calder really that important that we need to act offended and bring up Twitter posts from 5 years ago?  It's a stupid individual award, Petterson will probably win it, if not he will finish 2nd.  Who cares.  Barzal won it last year and is anybody taking about it anymore?  It's not important.  How about a Stanley cup?  That's what I want.

lol (hope the Jets destroy them)

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2019 at 4:24 AM, 73 Percent said:

Apparently chris faber, whoever that is, eats too many cheesies and then tries to do maths....real gud Chris!!

17 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I would hazard to guess that those tweets were brought up at this point on purpose: to get in his kitchen.. sounds like he handled it like a pro.. 

probably unearthed by some Winnipeg media clown.. 

or Jake Allen.. ^_^

• Cheers 1