The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, khay said:

I'm starting to feel a bit worried about EP.

He is showing signs of fatigue.

The calmness and confidence he displayed for most of the season is replaced by frustration.

He needs more strength to fight through the tighter fore checking in the game as the season winds down. If he thinks this is tough, can't imagine what he'll be feeling once the playoffs roll around. I'm optimistic for next season, though, he will figure it out. He's too smart, and he's too good to not to. 

This is why I find managment's "rush" to go "all in" on the playoffs a little confusing. Personally, I see this season as a step in the direction of consistently making the playoffs and doing more and more damage in the postseason - but this season? I see it as more of a seasoning of our young players like EP40, Hughes, Horvat, Virtanen, etc, etc. They get postseason experience, that will benefit them even more for next season, and will help them to take another step in their games. 

I hope the team makes the playoffs, because if they don't, I can't see Benning and his staff surviving. 

59 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

He needs more strength to fight through the tighter fore checking in the game as the season winds down. If he thinks this is tough, can't imagine what he'll be feeling once the playoffs roll around. I'm optimistic for next season, though, he will figure it out. He's too smart, and he's too good to not to. 

This is why I find managment's "rush" to go "all in" on the playoffs a little confusing. Personally, I see this season as a step in the direction of consistently making the playoffs and doing more and more damage in the postseason - but this season? I see it as more of a seasoning of our young players like EP40, Hughes, Horvat, Virtanen, etc, etc. They get postseason experience, that will benefit them even more for next season, and will help them to take another step in their games. 

I hope the team makes the playoffs, because if they don't, I can't see Benning and his staff surviving. 

I too think that EP will figure it out.

But I don't know if the management went "all in." They got Toffoli so that they have a chance while Boeser is out but didn't acquire anyone else.

Just now, khay said:

I too think that EP will figure it out.

But I don't know if the management went "all in." They got Toffoli so that they have a chance while Boeser is out but didn't acquire anyone else.

You think Benning and his staff survive if the 'Nucks miss the postseason? 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Benning for sure. Coaching staff not so much. 

Honest questions here. 

Do you think this roster is good enough to make the playoffs? If yes then this cant be on benning.

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, Frozen Water Walker said:

Always wore my jersey's on the ice, been a fan for years, the only jersey I have ever bought and wear for games is Petey's.

I think with so much focus on him by the other teams best defenders, this is freeing up his team mates a little and it's showing on the score sheet.

Full confidence in this young man, and if he is true to form, the playoffs or a championship challenge is always where he seems to really shine.

GCG 

Exactly...a selfless player, people don't realize that others' success also comes with Petey garnering attention.  Frees them up a bit more.

Sad that other teams are getting away with so much, though.  Refs aren't going to do their jobs as they should, so I really do wish that others would go back, hard, at anyone targeting Petey and Quinn.  Not necessarily drop the mitts, but good solid slams into the boards to say "no".  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yes. But Green will be canned. 

Whether they will be fired or not is irrelevant to whether they went "all in". All they got is Toffoli. That doesn't qualify as going all in.

1 hour ago, VancouveriteinSanDiego2 said:

can we sign EP to a brayden point contract? ^_^

At this point, he is getting Sebastian Aho contract, 8.5M, 9M at most.

His comparable is Aho (8.5) and at best Raantanen (9.5) at this point.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Benning for sure. Coaching staff not so much. 

Honest questions here. 

Do you think this roster is good enough to make the playoffs? If yes then this cant be on benning.

Yes. It's not on Benning. He revamped forwards and defence as promised. 

I'm not sold on Green but I'm for giving him the chance until the end of the season. Firing Green now will be a mistake in my opinion... I don't even know if any coach has been fired this late in the playoff race.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, khay said:

Yes. It's not on Benning. He revamped forwards and defence as promised. 

I'm not sold on Green but I'm for giving him the chance until the end of the season. Firing Green now will be a mistake in my opinion... I don't even know if any coach has been fired this late in the playoff race.

Claude Julien was fired a week before the season ended when the team was first in the division. It's not common at all. But when the coach is not working out, there's no time to waste when management feels like there's a suitable replacement.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, shazzam said:

Claude Julien was fired a week before the season ended when the team was first in the division. It's not common at all. But when the coach is not working out, there's no time to waste when management feels like there's a suitable replacement.

Far less risky.

The Nucks are in a very precarious position in the standings, so I think it would be highly unlikely Green would be fired at this point.

26 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Thanks for that info. But wow! What was Lamoriello thinking? What was the reasoning for firing? And it's not like he had a better candidate because he named himself the coach and the only got to the 2nd round. 

1 hour ago, khay said:

Thanks for that info. But wow! What was Lamoriello thinking? What was the reasoning for firing? And it's not like he had a better candidate because he named himself the coach and the only got to the 2nd round. 

I think he said the standings didn't matter. He didn't like the direction the team was going. Who knows what was going on behind closed doors

8 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Lamoriello is an ass hat. He literally makes players shave because he doesn't like beards. He is a guy that has to be the alpha in the room or he throws a tantrum. 

We had a similar rule back in 2011 ish

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Kassian was told to shave the second he was traded. I assume post season was an exception.

You could be right, but even then, there were other exceptions like the twins, who had beards and Kes almost always had a least something along with Juice. Maybe they gave veterans a free pass.

Just now, -AJ- said:

You could be right, but even then, there were other exceptions like the twins, who had beards and Kes almost always had a least something along with Juice. Maybe they gave veterans a free pass.

Could be. It's a dumb rule. But not unheard of and something to single out loud lam for.

• Cheers 1