The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The kid might be unstoppable when he adds 10-20 pounds. A 190-195 Petey sounds scary

If he gets better in draws I sure hope he can become a Henrik Zetterberg, he's definitely got the feisty nature but just isn't good enough at draws (guys like Zetterberg and Backstrom have hovered around 50% for their careers, making them so dominant all-around).  Hope his time with Miller and Horvat results in him learning the tricks of the trade, because we know he can score, assist, play D and dish it.

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

If he gets better in draws I sure hope he can become a Henrik Zetterberg, he's definitely got the feisty nature but just isn't good enough at draws (guys like Zetterberg and Backstrom have hovered around 50% for their careers, making them so dominant all-around).  Hope his time with Miller and Horvat results in him learning the tricks of the trade, because we know he can score, assist, play D and dish it.

I think the lack of raw strength has something to do with it. Notice how a lot of good faceoff-men are bigger centers? There are exceptions to the rule but I don't think you could argue against it generally speaking.

So once he adds 10-20 pounds of muscle it'll probably help him on the draw, especially if he takes pointers from guys like Beagle/Bo/Miller.

I am just excited for how much harder he'll rip the puck and faster he'll be as time goes by.

• Vintage 2

On 8/1/2020 at 8:32 AM, lmm said:

Oh come now, Its noce to support your own guys and all but try to stay in reality.

Kane is almost exactly 10 years older than Petey

10 years ago he had 230 points and 76 goals and a Stanley cup

Pete is about 100 point, 21 goals and a Cup shy

Next year Marchand will have had a Cup for 10 years ( he is 6 mo older than Kane

If Petey is to "prove" he belongs in the conversation with those two, he might want to WIN that cup this season

I'm not saying he won't get there, but Petey still has some "proving" to do

Listen, I'm not saying EP40 is as good as Showtime, but the gaps a lot closer than your stats say. EP started in the NHL at an older age than Kane 

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Listen, I'm not saying EP40 is as good as Showtime, but the gaps a lot closer than your stats say. EP started in the NHL at an older age than Kane 

Right, it's like arguing that Hughes' stats are more impressive than Makar's because Makar is a year older.

And you'd be right.

Similarly, Petey's first two years are a touch better than Kane from a points-per-game basis, but not quite as much when compared to the same years age-wise.

So, if Petey were only 97% as good as Kane over the course of his career...I could accept that. (in fact, I think he'll be better but I may be biased).

On 8/2/2020 at 12:22 AM, filthycanuck said:

I agree. Ive watched the Hawks play live many times, and if you took even just half a period just to watch Patrick Kane, he's a wizard with the puck. Him and Panerin were almost like Daniel and Henrik

Kane is indeed a very skillful hockey player, but he's a slimy dirtball of a human being.  The Sedins were (and are) incredible human beings because they were both highly skilled hockey players and delightful human beings at the same time.  No comparison at all in my mind.  Go Canucks Go!

P.S. - Since this is a Petey thread I guess I should mention that he is a good comparable to the Sedins because he displays both good skill and good sportsmanship, and just general class all the time.

Edited by nux_win
  • Upvote 1

On 8/1/2020 at 7:41 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson is sensational. A real pro. Never stops trying to get better. Eye on the prize, sets such a great example. He'll do great things, like bring VAN a Cup one day.

I wonder what he thinks when he sees certain team mate(s), years older than him, mailing it in, being lazy, getting yelled at by the captain, benched by the coach, getting in the news for the wrong reasons.   

Never have to worry about Petey. His heart is in the right place.    

A franchise player, no doubt about it.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:49 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Staying in reality (each player's first two years...Kane didn't have a cup yet either at this point)

image.png

image.png

Another part of staying in reality is that Kane didn't win cups all by himself....this guy named Toews mattered, as did everything just lining up at the right time.  Goaltending, health, officiating, coaching (huge), who the opponents were and their status in relation to all those things, etc. all come into play.  He was a huge factor for sure...as Petey will be for us.  I take nothing away from Kane (or Marchand) ... both superstars in this league.  But don't take anything away from Petey, either, as he's going to slide right into that class.  Already is/has ... minus the cup part.  His team'll have to help him out with that part...it's not solely his doing (or those other guys who have cups).  No I in team.

Petey has a .95 points per game and Kane had a .88 points per game in their first 2 years. I'd take Petey over Kane any day of the week and twice on Mondays to Saturdays.

• Like 2

Would love to see Jake, MacEwan, or Ferland get a chance with Petey and JT every now and then,  perhaps a good way to start a game showing we have guys who have Peteys back...  he can’t keep looking after himself forever..  

But nice to know he has that Pronger type edge behind that death stare..

staring bruce lee GIF

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think the lack of raw strength has something to do with it. Notice how a lot of good faceoff-men are bigger centers? There are exceptions to the rule but I don't think you could argue against it generally speaking.

So once he adds 10-20 pounds of muscle it'll probably help him on the draw, especially if he takes pointers from guys like Beagle/Bo/Miller.

I am just excited for how much harder he'll rip the puck and faster he'll be as time goes by.

Good point about most of them being bigger.  Hopefully he can watch tape on guys like Letestu who's 50%+ every season and learn something.  That and practice against Miller/ Beagle/ Horvat to get better.

The compete level by EP40 is truly impressive. He puts on another 10-15 pounds and it will enable him to make moves that will amaze even more. His physicality will likely wear on him over a number of games but he is developing a base to work from. 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:40 PM, ruilin96 said:

Petey is a guy that will turn up a notch when the game gets bigger. I look forward to see Petey in playoffs action tomorrow night!

Yeah. He's already at a point per game clip (I know it's not a huge sample size, very small). 

But if you look at the two years he's been in the league so far, he's pretty close to being a point per game producer. 

First year, at 71 games, 66 points. 

This year, before the whole COVID, in 68 games, he had 66 points. He was on pace to be over a point per game clip. 

He's already producing better than the Sedins were at a far younger age. He seems determined too in the postseason. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action tomorrow night. 

GO Canucks GO!

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2020 at 6:41 AM, Boudrias said:

The compete level by EP40 is truly impressive. He puts on another 10-15 pounds and it will enable him to make moves that will amaze even more. His physicality will likely wear on him over a number of games but he is developing a base to work from. 

Yea. I think he comes in next season heavier, and that'll allow him to make moves that he currently is unable to make because he's so light. 

But with his current weight and all, his first playoffs, he's doing just fine. 

I still think the Blues take this series probably in 5-6 games. They are the Cup Champions. But, these are the playoffs, and anything can happen!

• Haha 1