Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

December 16, 2020

Petey getting the love

https://www.nhl.com/news/super-16-rankings-top-nhl-forwards/c-319823812

16. Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Canucks

Total points: 28

Pettersson, a 22-year-old center, scored 66 points in each of his first two NHL seasons; he had 27 goals and 39 assists in 68 games last season, when he scored 18 points (seven goals, 11 assists) in 17 postseason games to help the Canucks reach the Western Conference Second Round for the first time since losing the Cup Final in 2011. Pettersson won the Calder Trophy in 2018-19, when he had 28 goals and 38 assists in 71 games.

•  
  •  
  • Cheers 1

On 12/15/2020 at 7:28 AM, Harvey Specter said:

Another year of the league underestimating EP40. It will be a great battle for Petey to silence his critics for ranking him at 38 out of 40

This is the first publication I've seen so far that has this severely underrated Pettersson. Most have him top 20, some even top 10. This is probably his working ranking and, to be honest, is embarrassing. Can you imagine thinking that Kyle Connor and Dougie Hamilton are better than EP, lol?

1 hour ago, nowhereman said:

This is the first publication I've seen so far that has this severely underrated Pettersson. Most have him top 20, some even top 10. This is probably his working ranking and, to be honest, is embarrassing. Can you imagine thinking that Kyle Connor and Dougie Hamilton are better than EP, lol?

Connor is pretty underrated I'd say. He had 73 points in 71 games last year, for 1.03 points-per-game, more than EP's ever had.

The two big things Petey has over Connor is perhaps his defensive smarts and the biggest is his playoff performance. Connor in this past year particularly was a disappointment whereas Petey stepped it up even more.

I'm of the mind that Petey is actually a bit overrated, but not on that list. I'd have him above Connor for sure.

Love both of those guys (tried to post this earlier but the direct link wasn't up yet so I gave up lol).

Petey's so awkward but that's becoming his schtick.  Buble's the ultimate "performer" and we're lucky to have him as one of our own (as well).

So good to share the love at Christmas...one of my last pictures of my bff before she passed was of her standing watching him perform at Christmas on TV.  He'll always hold a special place in my heart and remind me of her....she adored him.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 9:54 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Love both of those guys (tried to post this earlier but the direct link wasn't up yet so I gave up lol).

Petey's so awkward but that's becoming his schtick.  Buble's the ultimate "performer" and we're lucky to have him as one of our own (as well).

So good to share the love at Christmas...one of my last pictures of my bff before she passed was of her standing watching him perform at Christmas on TV.  He'll always hold a special place in my heart and remind me of her....she adored him.

I loved at the end when Petey says, "I don't even know the Swedish songs." :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 12/20/2020 at 8:19 PM, -AJ- said:

I'm of the mind that Petey is actually a bit overrated, but not on that list. I'd have him above Connor for sure.

I think we overrate Petey here a bit too but as fans you do that with your players. His potential is great though and the room for growth is attainable(especially with strength and speed). He has a great mindset too, he’s never satisfied. 

Look at how a guy like Mackinnon developed too. Took him 4 years to become a top 2 player. 

I do think Petey has the potential to be a top 5 player though. Perhaps this is the year he shows that. 

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think we overrate Petey here a bit too but as fans you do that with your players. His potential is great though 

I think our fans are mainly just stoked to have someone as talented as Petey to build the team around. I think most of us know he isn't a true superstar quite yet.

...but he will be. Bank on it. Petey has the drive, smarts and skill to get there. He has a tall frame to add more muscle and combine that with more experience, I really do believe he will become one of the best players in the NHL. If not top 5, top 10 for certain in my mind.l

• Cheers 1