The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

It’s no secret petey is struggling to start off the season and while I think he’ll turn it around... IF he continues at this pace or let’s say hits somewhere around 30ish points, do you guys think this could lead to a boeser type contract (3 year bridge at around 7M per)?? Any cap help next year is needed haha

2 minutes ago, freshhprince95 said:

It’s no secret petey is struggling to start off the season and while I think he’ll turn it around... IF he continues at this pace or let’s say hits somewhere around 30ish points, do you guys think this could lead to a boeser type contract (3 year bridge at around 7M per)?? Any cap help next year is needed haha

If he has a great season he is probably looking at that kind of contract.  
a bad season probably starts with a 6 on a three year bridge.

21 minutes ago, freshhprince95 said:

Yeah sounds about right, should prolly use that cap to fix this horrid dcore 

No better time to fix defence than next offseason.  The expansion means there will be a lot of teams that can’t protect all the D they want, so would be willing to trade for relatively cheap instead of losing them for nothing.

We can probably upgrade a couple of slots in that process.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Doesn't matter who his agent is. Petey is getting paid his next contract. 

Same with Hughes.  As dramatic as some people are making this change in agents out to sound, it doesn't change anything.  All the extra money the Canucks save from the contracts that expire following this season will be going directly to Petey and Hughes, which is one of the biggest reasons why they couldn't come close to matching the contracts Markstrom, Tanev & Toffoli received from other teams.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Cheers 3

JP Barry will get these kids 18M.

Hughes is proving he can still produce offensively but has been a sieve defensively, and Pettersson has been garbage all season so far, so I wonder how much this year plays into contract talks. They both need to start performing the way they did last season, but have taken a big step back so far in the early season. If I'm JB I'm playing hard-ball, using this poor performance and the Covid-cap to drive their price down. 

I wonder what they would think about 7 x 7 for Petey under the current climate and 6 x 6 for Hughes. Before this season I would have said Petey deserves an Aho-like contract and Hughes was on pace for something stupid like 7M+ but they've been terrible this season.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

JP Barry will get these kids 18M.

Hughes is proving he can still produce offensively but has been a sieve defensively, and Pettersson has been garbage all season so far, so I wonder how much this year plays into contract talks. They both need to start performing the way they did last season, but have taken a big step back so far in the early season. If I'm JB I'm playing hard-ball, using this poor performance and the Covid-cap to drive their price down. 

I wonder what they would think about 7 x 7 for Petey under the current climate and 6 x 6 for Hughes. Before this season I would have said Petey deserves an Aho-like contract and Hughes was on pace for something stupid like 7M+ but they've been terrible this season.

JB has held stern before with other youngsters.

Boeser who didn't have arb rights like Hughes doesn't this off-season. I expect Benning to do better with Hughes than Petey. Still have to consider everything though.

A short bridge deal might be more ideal if this sort of season continues. It also ensures them getting raises with from maximizing on qualifying offers. Also ideal with the flat cap.

Anything could happen though.