The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

There is an incredibly high chance that Petterson will be offered sheet. The canucks have 14 million in cap space I believe. 8 x $10 million. That would leave 4 million for Hughes which would be impossible for us to sign. Meaning that we have to shed salary and how can we shed salary? 

Forced buyout of LE and using that money to match. 

1 hour ago, runtzguy said:

The canucks have 14 million in cap space I believe.

Nope, $15m. 

And that's before voiding/suspending/buying out Virtanen, trading Holtby, potentially buying out/paying to move Eriksson, or taking in to account Ferland on LTIR (never mind any other moves like potentially trading Schmidt, clearing Roussel etc).

So even 8X$10 we could match AND sign Hughes. And IMO, it's just silly media driven nonsense, we're going to sign him and Hughes to short term bridge deals likely for $12-$14m +/- total.

Never mind that at $10m, I might just take the picks (as much as I love Petey) :lol: Losing Weber and a hobbled possibly MIA Price next year, we'd have two potentially high firsts (theirs and ours) in a VERY good draft next year (plus two seconds and two thirds), and two firsts again the year after. We could alternately also use the MON second and third to move Erikssson, sign Landeskog for $$ and barely miss a beat while adding a bunch of firsts.

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nope, $15m. 

And that's before voiding/suspending/buying out Virtanen, trading Holtby, potentially buying out/paying to move Eriksson, or taking in to account Ferland on LTIR (never mind any other moves like potentially trading Schmidt, clearing Roussel etc).

So even 8X$10 we could match AND sign Hughes. And IMO, it's just silly media driven nonsense, we're going to sign him and Hughes to short term bridge deals likely for $12-$14m +/- total.

Never mind that at $10m, I might just take the picks (as much as I love Petey) :lol: Losing Weber and a hobbled possibly MIA Price next year, we'd have two potentially high firsts (theirs and ours) in a VERY good draft next year (plus two seconds and two thirds), and two firsts again the year after. We could alternately also use the MON second and third to move Erikssson, sign Landeskog for $$ and barely miss a beat while adding a bunch of firsts.

Capfriendly has the Canucks at $15M but with Ferland and Beagle on LTIR.  It sounds like Beagle will be ready for camp so unless he's bought out or traded, I would shave off $3M from Capfriendly's number which leaves $12M to work with.  Yes, that doesn't include whatever might happen with Virtanen, Holtby, Eriksson, Schmidt or Roussel, but $12M is considerably less to work with while also having to fill out remaining holes in the roster.

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Capfriendly has the Canucks at $15M but with Ferland and Beagle on LTIR.  It sounds like Beagle will be ready for camp so unless he's bought out or traded, I would shave off $3M from Capfriendly's number which leaves $12M to work with.  Yes, that doesn't include whatever might happen with Virtanen, Holtby, Eriksson, Schmidt or Roussel, but $12M is considerably less to work with while also having to fill out remaining holes in the roster.

Nope.

They have them listed there but their cap is still calculated in my original total.

$29m spent on F's

$13m on D's

$9m on goalies

$6.5m on LTIR

$5m on Eriksson

$3m Luongo cap recrapture =

----------------------------------------

~$65.5m

Salary cap - $81.5m - $65.5 = $15m +/-

Just now, aGENT said:

Nope.

They have them listed there but their cap is still calculated in my original total.

$29m spent on F's

$13m on D's

$9m on goalies

$6.5m on LTIR

$5m on Eriksson

$3m Luongo cap recrapture =

----------------------------------------

~$65.5m

Salary cap - $81.5m - $65.5 = $15m +/-

Hmmm, interesting.  Well that works out better then.  Thanks!

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Hmmm, interesting.  Well that works out better then.  Thanks!

Yup... so we can automatically add $2.5m to that for Virtanen in whatever form that occurs. So now we're up to $17.5. Even $1-2m of retention on Holtby (if we retain at all), let's say an average of $1.5m, saves us another $2.8 (or more if there's no retention). Now we're up to $20.3m. Trade Schmidt for a $4-$5m forward (lets's say average of $4.5 again) and we're up another $1.4m. $21.7m

Hughes and Pettersson eat up ~$13m of that. Juolevi ~$1m Edler and Hamonic or their replacements $4-6m, backup goalie ~$1.5m. That leaves us ~ a couple mil to sign some depth F's, D etc.

And that's without really doing anything like paying to move Roussel or buying out Eriksson for the extra $875k etc, etc...I'd also not be at all surprised to see us go with a 21 or 22 man roster this year with the Abby Canucks so close.

I'm also hopeful we can move Ferland's IR contract *fingers crossed* or we have Ferland's $3.5 LTIR to sign a guy after day one as well, if we choose to go that route.

It's tight, it requires some work. It's not the hopeless disaster many seem to want to paint it as. And next year, we're laughing.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup... so we can automatically add $2.5m to that for Virtanen in whatever form that occurs. So now we're up to $17.5. Even $1-2m of retention on Holtby (if we retain at all), let's say an average of $1.5m, saves us another $2.8 (or more if there's no retention). Now we're up to $20.3m. Trade Schmidt for a $4-$5m forward (lets's say average of $4.5 again) and we're up another $1.4m. $21.7m

Hughes and Pettersson eat up ~$13m of that. Juolevi ~$1m Edler and Hamonic or their replacements $4-6m, backup goalie ~$1.5m. That leaves us ~ a couple mil to sign some depth F's, D etc.

And that's without really doing anything like paying to move Roussel or buying out Eriksson for the extra $875k etc, etc...I'd also not be at all surprised to see us go with a 21 or 22 man roster this year with the Abby Canucks so close.

I'm also hopeful we can move Ferland's IR contract *fingers crossed* or we have Ferland's $3.5 LTIR to sign a guy after day one as well, if we choose to go that route.

It's tight, it requires some work. It's not the hopeless disaster many seem to want to paint it as. And next year, we're laughing.

It's a good point re the farm team being in Abbotsford potentially making for some different configurations.  Still a challenge if you run into injury trouble on the road, but some teams have run with a 17-player game roster before and, while that obviously is far less than ideal, it generally shouldn't last for more than one game.

I think one other name we need to consider in the cap calculation however is Dickinson since he's still a RFA.  Based on what I have read, he's probably going to have a cap hit between $2.5M-$3M.  He also has arbitration rights and could be offer sheeted (though the latter seems unlikely).

It's going to be very interesting over the next week!

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I'd expect this tbh. The only one I'd even consider not matching would be one of four 1st round picks and even that might not be worth letting go.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:39 PM, Locke Lamora said:

Lol, no.

But I’ll head the parade when he hits 185. I’ll admit he looks noticeably beefier.

I mean, he's 6'2. I'd say he looks pretty close to 185. Could be wrong, photos aren't super reliable.

• Cheers 1

Was thinking about this amidst the critiques of 'why isn't this done', 'why don't the Canucks just get him signed'. Bridge deals are meant to maximize cap flexibility for the club. The best example is MacKinnon/Pastarnak, also Brayden Point.

The player gets more value than they've proven worth - or fair value statistically - in the immediacy. And the team bets on the player overperforming the AAV over the (shorter) length of the deal - while the player is lined up for another big payday.

So I'm thinking maybe we're trying to maximize our opportunity at getting Petey below what his value will be, for the good of the team. And as fans that are starving for a cup, this is what we should want, right?

Obviously not to the point of potentially losing the player, but if we can pull off a Mackinnon/Pasta/Point type situation (or anything even remotely close); getting great flexibility while maintaining loyalty with the player, that's best case scenario. 

So what's happening with Petterson's wrist then?

I was listening to I think it was Eliot Friedman on I think it was called the Donnie and Dahl show last night and Friedman was talking like Pettersson's wrist hadn't healed yet and might not ever heal.

Freak me out guy. Thanks a lot Donnie the Downer and crew. I was just starting to feel good about my Canucks and you lay that on me.

2 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

So what's happening with Petterson's wrist then?

I was listening to I think it was Eliot Friedman on I think it was called the Donnie and Dahl show last night and Friedman was talking like Pettersson's wrist hadn't healed yet and might not ever heal.

Freak me out guy. Thanks a lot Donnie the Downer and crew. I was just starting to feel good about my Canucks and you lay that on me.

Didn't hear that, but there was a video posted not long ago showing Petey shooting and he looked fine. He also said positive things as far as the recovery - though I cannot recall if he said he was already 100%, or almost.

• Thanks 1