The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Canucks should offer up Petey for Eichel. Would be a big upgrade for the Canucks and maybe puts us over the edge to get a Cup.

or you know, not. We don't even know if JE will play again, let alone know if he can play at the same level.

• Cheers 1

On 10/15/2021 at 10:34 PM, Wilbur said:

Petterson's 2 pts tonight jumps past a legendary stache into 57th in all-time Canuck scoring.

56.  John Gould RW 218 82 76 158
57.  Elias Pettersson C 167 66 89 155
58.  Dave Babych D 409 23 131 154

@johngould21 Petey is breathing down your neck Johnny.

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2021 at 12:44 PM, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Sarcasm right? I wouldnt trade petey for eichel if it came with their next 2 first round picks

lol why sarcasm? You're just biased as hell.

I'm pretty sure Eichel would get back to the same level if he finally has a team that actually lets him have access to the proper procedures and rehab.

Sure, the Sabres are looking good now but they will crash and fall near the bottom of the standings by the end of it all like every year if we're going by pattern.

That's Eichel + potentially Shane Wright and/or Connor Bedard for Petey.

Unless we had McDavid instead of Petey I would do that in a heartbeat.

Sarcasm, yeah. Sure.

4 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

lol why sarcasm? You're just biased as hell.

I'm pretty sure Eichel would get back to the same level if he finally has a team that actually lets him have access to the proper procedures and rehab.

Sure, the Sabres are looking good now but they will crash and fall near the bottom of the standings by the end of it all like every year if we're going by pattern.

That's Eichel + potentially Shane Wright and/or Connor Bedard for Petey.

Unless we had McDavid instead of Petey I would do that in a heartbeat.

Sarcasm, yeah. Sure.

So you would trade one of if not the best player we have ever had for a player who still has yet to have the surgery that might allow him to regain his form and a chance at a lottery pick. Lets be real, even if buffalo finished last we most likely wont be picking first, thats just our luck. Plus it would severely hurt the chemistry we have in the locker room and set this rebuild back a couple years. Do you think boeser is going to be happy if his friend is gone and our team has another horrible season? I wouldnt be surprised if he walked after that. 

2 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

So you would trade one of if not the best player we have ever had for a player who still has yet to have the surgery that might allow him to regain his form and a chance at a lottery pick. Lets be real, even if buffalo finished last we most likely wont be picking first, thats just our luck. Plus it would severely hurt the chemistry we have in the locker room and set this rebuild back a couple years. Do you think boeser is going to be happy if his friend is gone and our team has another horrible season? I wouldnt be surprised if he walked after that. 

Best player we ever had lol. Pettersson isn't even the best player on our current roster.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Hey man I hope so too. I just don't see it. I'd be surprised if he accomplished what Eichel has at this point in his career. 

Im mainly worried about eichels future health. Sure he should recover but ive been a canuck fan way too long to think that we wouldnt be regretting that trade awfully quick. Especially with the hit to the locker rooms chemistry, thats something i dont want to mess with at this point of our rebuild. 

2 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

You talk as if Jack Eichel is now a complete write-off because of his injury.

Eichel's career isn't over. His treatment is being mishandled by a garbage organization.

Just FYI, players have been injured before and they return from injury and return to form.

What Eichel has is a herniated disc in his neck that could've and should've been fixed if the team handled things properly. An injury like that is routinely fixed through surgical procedure and happens all the time in contact sports.

Boeser going to be unhappy that his friend his gone? This isn't kindergarten. They are professional athletes and adults; they know full well trades are part of the business. 

All chemistry is built. How would that trade set this rebuild a couple years back?

Eichel is everything Petey is except bigger and faster. We're also adding two potentially high first round draft picks in two deep drafts. 

29 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

You talk as if Jack Eichel is now a complete write-off because of his injury.

Eichel's career isn't over. His treatment is being mishandled by a garbage organization.

Just FYI, players have been injured before and they return from injury and return to form.

What Eichel has is a herniated disc in his neck that could've and should've been fixed if the team handled things properly. An injury like that is routinely fixed through surgical procedure and happens all the time in contact sports.

More recently, I have heard that the surgery may be neck fusion; which I would think would have a negative effect on E's game.

29 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Boeser going to be unhappy that his friend his gone? This isn't kindergarten. They are professional athletes and adults; they know full well trades are part of the business. 

All chemistry is built. How would that trade set this rebuild a couple years back?

Eichel is everything Petey is except bigger and faster. We're also adding two potentially high first round draft picks in two deep drafts. 

Agree that Eichel and two high 1st round picks for Pete would favour the Canucks heavily. 

It is unlikely that Pete will ever play the power forward game that Eichel plays; although I do seem becoming much stronger in the coming years as he fills out (much like the Sedins did).

Pete's first 2 seasons are statistically better than E's and there's every indication he would have continued to improve in his 3rd year; but for the injury.

It seems like fans are already turning on Pete due to the lack of productivity in the opening 4 games.  Considering he had no training camp or preseason games, I can see why he is struggling a bit.  I think we need to be patient and give him time to work things out.  He has so much for the game and is such a hardworking player, I have no doubt that he will return to form and continue to improve his game.

The Sedins didn't start putting up Pete like numbers until they were 24yrs and then went on

a 10yr run with those stats.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

:lol: Pettersson gets knocked off the puck easier than almost anyone in the NHL. He’s overhyped and plays nowhere near the caliber he did at the start of his rookie season. He doesn’t even have his motor anymore. Still a good player, but nowhere near the best player Canucks have ever had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podzilla said:

:lol: Pettersson gets knocked off the puck easier than almost anyone in the NHL. He’s overhyped and plays nowhere near the caliber he did at the start of his rookie season. He doesn’t even have his motor anymore. Still a good player, but nowhere near the best player Canucks have ever had. 

I do not agree. I believe you think he gets knocked off the puck a lot because he tries driving through or around guys which tends to garner limited success for him sometimes.

I don't think we can properly assess our guys based on last year and 4 games into this season. Especially for guys who never even had a camp. We need to look at their whole body of work, and I think with continued experience and increased physical growth he's still going to be one of the elite players in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Podzilla said:

17 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I do not agree. I believe you think he gets knocked off the puck a lot because he tries driving through or around guys which tends to garner limited success for him sometimes.

I don't think we can properly assess our guys based on last year and 4 games into this season. Especially for guys who never even had a camp. We need to look at their whole body of work, and I think with continued experience and increased physical growth he's still going to be one of the elite players in the NHL.

I don't think either of you are 100% correct or incorrect in this case.

I think he has the potential to be one of the elite players in the NHL but he still needs to realise that potential in order for this to come true. That being said, we're talking about a 22 year old player, so while he may not be the best player we've ever had now, he has a lot of time to turn into that player.

I think kloubek is right though in that he gets driven off the puck because of where he tries to drive, meaning he has drive.

In either case, let's give him some years before judging like this perhaps? I can't help but think about players like MacKinnon who didn't really show being elite until his 5th season.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

More recently, I have heard that the surgery may be neck fusion; which I would think would have a negative effect on E's game.

Agree that Eichel and two high 1st round picks for Pete would favour the Canucks heavily. 

It is unlikely that Pete will ever play the power forward game that Eichel plays; although I do seem becoming much stronger in the coming years as he fills out (much like the Sedins did).

Pete's first 2 seasons are statistically better than E's and there's every indication he would have continued to improve in his 3rd year; but for the injury.

It seems like fans are already turning on Pete due to the lack of productivity in the opening 4 games.  Considering he had no training camp or preseason games, I can see why he is struggling a bit.  I think we need to be patient and give him time to work things out.  He has so much for the game and is such a hardworking player, I have no doubt that he will return to form and continue to improve his game.

The Sedins didn't start putting up Pete like numbers until they were 24yrs and then went on

a 10yr run with those stats.

Yeah, and Eichel was also younger than Petey when he entered the league at 18 straight from NCAA.

What are those "every indications"? Petey was on pace for under a ppg (albeit close to) similar to his first two seasons last year, before he was out with injury.

Also, I'm not "turning on" Petey and I'm not vouching to trade him. By my username you could tell I am a big fan of Pettersson.

I just think realistically and being unbiased, a franchise centerman plus two first round picks is well worth the return for a player of Petey's calibre.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

On 10/20/2021 at 2:26 PM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Yeah, and Eichel was also younger than Petey when he entered the league at 18 straight from NCAA.

What are those "every indications"? Petey was on pace for under a ppg (albeit close to) similar to his first two seasons last year, before he was out with injury.

Also, I'm not "turning on" Petey and I'm not vouching to trade him. By my username you could tell I am a big fan of Pettersson.

I just think realistically and being unbiased, a franchise centerman plus two first round picks is well worth the return for a player of Petey's calibre.

To me, that just seems like a crazy lop-sided trade in our favour, likely from overvaluing Pettersson and/or undervaluing Eichel. Under a normal circumstance, Petey for Eichel straight up would be more realistic, but that leaves the question of how does that even help us? Keep in mind that Eichels a PPG player with hardly any help at all. The only reason why Buffalo would even consider throwing in more would be due to the current circumstance surrounding Eichel and Buffalo. Even then, there's no way Buffalo gives up 2 1st round picks just to get rid of Eichel.

56 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Petey needs to step up his game and lead this team to success. We will not make the playoffs if he puts up a 50-65 point season. He has the Money, now he needs to show he can take the next step.  

Yeah we need that kid who put up 10 goals in his first 10 NHL games! Looked like he was going to be a super star, now he just looks alright. Get your swagger back Petey!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Petey needs to step up his game and lead this team to success. We will not make the playoffs if he puts up a 50-65 point season. He has the Money, now he needs to show he can take the next step.  

More than anything else, I'm really disappointed with his poor start in the faceoff dot. 27% is beyond abysmal. Sure it's a small sample size, but when you're that far below a reasonable win % with 37 faceoffs, sample size isn't likely your problem anymore. Horvat is our only centre doing well in the faceoff circle unless you include the small 12-faceoff sample of Dowling.