The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Van had deal with VGK to trade down

Seannnp

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Crazy talk! Common sense has no place in the tin foil hat arena.

Oh right what was I thinking? The real reason McPhee didn't trade up is becuase Benning was already wearing a Pettersson's jersey and a hat on that said I heart Sweden. 

20 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

God this board is hilarious!...  For two years now, this entire board has been telling me that draft-picks are just about the only way to succeed in the NHL.  That they are the most valuable thing in hockey.  Then, our management team throws one away for no reason whatsoever - and everyone rushes to their aid!  Apparently draft picks are the most valuable thing ever - unless Benning throws one away.  In that case, they are worthless.

It's fun watching all the White Knights rush in and protect a professional sports team from valid criticism!  Just hilarious!

Two days ago, virtually no one here thought Pettersson was worthy of the #5 overall pick - but, watch all the White Knights attacking anyone who says that today!  A complete turn-around in 24 hours.  From black to white, from night-to-day, from up to down - in only a few hours!  Yesterday morning, the entire board would have had a seizure if you told them we were taking Petterson at 5.  Today, it's the greatest pick ever.  What changed yesterday afternoon?  Right, he went from being not-a-Canuck to a Canuck.

Yeah, Canucks' Management were the only people on Earth who knew we weren't taking Glass - and Vegas somehow figures that out!  Yeah, nothing we could do alright!  Keeping our damn mouths shut was obviously not an option here.  How could we have possibly prevented secret information from going from us to them???  How???  When I have a really important secret - it's just impossible to prevent strangers from figuring it out!

It's getting pretty tiresome watching all of you guys defend our management team for utter incompetence.  Like this right here.  We could have had our guy AND a valuable asset.  Benning got the guy without the asset.  All he had to do was not let the other team know our plans.  That was all.

Give it a rest. There were quite a few posters, myself included, who were hoping Petterssen was picked 5th. 

If he had 20 more lbs on him he wouldve been right there in the conversation for 1st OA (comments by 1-2 scouts). 

I am tired of the canucks always choosing the safe bet. Its about time we swing for the fences and tried to fill our sytem with with elite talent, something EP has for days. 

Before bashing management, stop, breathe and think for a second. If LV had two players that they wanted at 5 and both were still available at the 5 spot why would they trade an extra asset to acquire such asset knowing well that at best canucks could only take one of the two? If you want to blame anyone blame Dal and Col for taking defenseman instead. 

So quick to blame managment, give your head a shake. Disappointed in you. 

19 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Who knows, I think he was implying that enough off the Jersey was visible to tip off Vegas at the last second.  Im not sure if someone was holding the jersey already, but the point was that maybe Jim`s only fault in this was that someone had tipped off Vegas because the jersey was partially exposed.  Just relaying what I heard on the radio...

Yeah but dude.. you are relaying what tmz1040 said.. I listened yesterday and was rl face palming.  These guys just look for drama.  Nothing to see here bud. 

First time I've logged in for ages now.. hope everybody had a good spring, enjoy your summers.

6 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Yeah but dude.. you are relaying what tmz1040 said.. I listened yesterday and was rl face palming.  These guys just look for drama.  Nothing to see here bud. 

First time I've logged in for ages now.. hope everybody had a good spring, enjoy your summers.

Yeah, no doubt.  Those guys are all about the drama.  some are better than others though.  When they brought on gallagher and he complained for the whole time I had to shut it off!   I just thought it was a plausible explanation for what some were implying - JB basically missed out on a free draft pick by telling McPhee who he was going to pick.  Its all speculation though.

Welcome back btw!

4 hours ago, Seannnp said:

Give it a rest. There were quite a few posters, myself included, who were hoping Petterssen was picked 5th. 

If he had 20 more lbs on him he wouldve been right there in the conversation for 1st OA (comments by 1-2 scouts). 

I am tired of the canucks always choosing the safe bet. Its about time we swing for the fences and tried to fill our sytem with with elite talent, something EP has for days. 

Before bashing management, stop, breathe and think for a second. If LV had two players that they wanted at 5 and both were still available at the 5 spot why would they trade an extra asset to acquire such asset knowing well that at best canucks could only take one of the two? If you want to blame anyone blame Dal and Col for taking defenseman instead. 

Jake Virtanen, safe pick. 

On 6/24/2017 at 1:10 AM, Gollumpus said:

Or maybe McPhee just decided he didn't want to pay to move up his selection as he felt if he didn't get Glass he could still take Mittlestadt, or Rasmussen, or Vilardi or...

regards,  G.

That was part of it. the potential trade with Vegas was reported on some other networks, I can't exactly remember which one because I have looked at every draft stories I can find but I think it was on the NBC coverage of the draft with Bobby Mac and Pierre.

Anyway, the trade was contingent on Makar being available, with him being gone the trade was off the table because plan B presented itself which is the availability of those you have mentioned.

All the second tier centres were available. I'm sure McPhee realized if Glass was taken he would still have great options.

Maybe he might have had something brewing with Benning, but it could have been very tenuous.

I'm not a fan of McPhee talking about this potential deal to swap draft spots. He's steeling Jim's thunder. It's like he's giving himself credit for outsmarting Benning. It doesn't make Benning look very good and it takes the shine off the player we did draft. It seems like McPhee is a bit full of himself, and still feeling like a bigshot. His temporary power went to his head.

Alright George, you're the shrewdest dude out there. lol

Canucks fans are just trying to have some hope, and some fun, we don't need anyone piling on. Especially other GMs. Beat it McPhee...we'll see how smart you are now that you are on the same, level, ice surface as the rest of the league.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, if, if, if. Enough. Let's be happy with what we've got.

On 6/24/2017 at 8:17 AM, Gollumpus said:

So this "discussion" is still going on...

Canucks fan methodology for blaming.

STEP 1 - find something about which you disapprove (a trade, signing, coaching decision, or some made up thing which was pulled out of someone's butt). 

STEP 2 - apply blame to your favourite whipping boy (a GM, coach, player, owner, Bettman, etc). Being involved with your issue is not actually required.

STEP 3 - apply punishment (fire him, trade him, send him to the minors, waive him, whip him in the public square, wet willy, etc).

STEP 4 - generate some sort of "reason" why this person has screwed up. True, this normally would come before STEP 3. Don't let this bother you.

STEP 5 - dig for evidence to support your reasoning (circumstantial > greater than actual). True, this normally would also come before STEP 3. Don't let this bother you.

Gee, the Canucks got that Lind kid who was ranked 23rd at 33rd. .Gadjovich was ranked 39th, and he's taken by the Canucks at 55th. Must be a story there with a negative angle, if someone were to look hard enough... how about the old, "Benning should have been aware that these guys were ranked higher, but they were still on the board when the Canucks made their selections, which means that the other GMs saw something negative that Benning didn't, therefore Benning's ability to rate talent is to be questioned."

You'd think Benning would have learned his lesson with Hodgson or Schroeder, right? (see STEP 2 above) 

regards,  G.

This should be put as a sticky at the top of most every thread!!!!

On 6/25/2017 at 6:59 AM, Seannnp said:

Hard to be disappointed with an outright troll -- that's his whole game here.

This whole thing is truly facepalm-worthy, and only meaningful to TMZ Tony Gallagher minions and fanboys.

On 6/24/2017 at 8:17 AM, Gollumpus said:

So this "discussion" is still going on...

Canucks fan methodology for blaming.

STEP 1 - find something about which you disapprove (a trade, signing, coaching decision, or some made up thing which was pulled out of someone's butt). 

STEP 2 - apply blame to your favourite whipping boy (a GM, coach, player, owner, Bettman, etc). Being involved with your issue is not actually required.

STEP 3 - apply punishment (fire him, trade him, send him to the minors, waive him, whip him in the public square, wet willy, etc).

STEP 4 - generate some sort of "reason" why this person has screwed up. True, this normally would come before STEP 3. Don't let this bother you.

STEP 5 - dig for evidence to support your reasoning (circumstantial > greater than actual). True, this normally would also come before STEP 3. Don't let this bother you.

Gee, the Canucks got that Lind kid who was ranked 23rd at 33rd. .Gadjovich was ranked 39th, and he's taken by the Canucks at 55th. Must be a story there with a negative angle, if someone were to look hard enough... how about the old, "Benning should have been aware that these guys were ranked higher, but they were still on the board when the Canucks made their selections, which means that the other GMs saw something negative that Benning didn't, therefore Benning's ability to rate talent is to be questioned."

You'd think Benning would have learned his lesson with Hodgson or Schroeder, right? (see STEP 2 above) 

regards,  G.

LOL! Well said...

But that's the way the cookie crumbles on CDC. The anti JB voice is very strong and those who are against him, will certainly bash his every move until we see something change with the team. 

Archived