The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

Did not know that. Very interesting if that's the case. 

In this draft, anyone born between 15 Sept and 31 Dec 1998 and drafted out of the CHL only needs to do one more year before being AHL eligible. CHL drafters born in 1999 (e.g. DiPietro) must complete two more seasons. Obviously, anyone drafted from outside the CHL can go to the minors immediately. So everyone we drafted bar the goalie can be in the minors in the 2019-20 season.

Shinkaruk was the same.

It's a dumb rule, and the reason why Virtanen was forced into the NHL too early (too good for junior, not eligible for minor for another year).

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, EagleShield said:

Due to his birthday, he only has to play one more year of junior before going to the AHL. Interesting that both 2nd rounders have that this year.

Fantastic - as they both wouldn't need that second year!

On 6/26/2017 at 4:26 AM, EagleShield said:

In this draft, anyone born between 15 Sept and 31 Dec 1998 and drafted out of the CHL only needs to do one more year before being AHL eligible. CHL drafters born in 1999 (e.g. DiPietro) must complete two more seasons. Obviously, anyone drafted from outside the CHL can go to the minors immediately. So everyone we drafted bar the goalie can be in the minors in the 2019-20 season.

Shinkaruk was the same.

It's a dumb rule, and the reason why Virtanen was forced into the NHL too early (too good for junior, not eligible for minor for another year).

Virtanen was not too good for the CHL, the club he was playing for down there was the main reason - poor development. 

I like this pick a lot. He seems like a gamer to me and the kind of player the new NHL demands - players that go to the net for the loose pucks, screening the goalie for tipped shots from the point and has enough speed to play the 200 foot game. For as much as people were jumping on the Cody Glass wagon, Kole Lind is a more versatile player (can play throughout the lineup), had just 7 points in total including 2 goals less than him and we got him in the second round. People will forget about Hague when Tryamkin returns. 

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

Virtanen was not too good for the CHL, the club he was playing for down there was the main reason - poor development. 

I like this pick a lot. He seems like a gamer to me and the kind of player the new NHL demands - players that go to the net for the loose pucks, screening the goalie for tipped shots from the point and has enough speed to play the 200 foot game. For as much as people were jumping on the Cody Glass wagon, Kole Lind is a more versatile player (can play throughout the lineup), had just 7 points in total including 2 goals less than him and we got him in the second round. People will forget about Hague when Tryamkin returns. 

Why would any junior club screw over their own season though?

Just now, Alflives said:

Why would any junior club screw over their own season though?

I'm not sure what you are asking here? Jake Virtanen was 5th on his team in scoring the last year he played for the Calgary Hitmen, so obviously not anywhere close to being "too good for the CHL" and it was known at the time that the club was not going to put him into a situation to develop him the way the Canucks wanted him to be developed, so they brought him up because he was big enough to play at the NHL level.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I'm not sure what you are asking here? Jake Virtanen was 5th on his team in scoring the last year he played for the Calgary Hitmen, so obviously not anywhere close to being "too good for the CHL" and it was known at the time that the club was not going to put him into a situation to develop him the way the Canucks wanted him to be developed, so they brought him up because he was big enough to play at the NHL level.

The CHL rule is dumb.  Each club should be able to exercise the right for atl east one player every two years to go into the AHL

It's not like the CHL benefits from teams forcing kids to play in situations they shouldn't be in.  Either the way they lose the talent.  but in the end all it does it hurt the kid and the team, which is not good for hockey. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Each club should be able to exercise the right for one player every two years to go into the AHL

It's not like the CHL benefits from teams forcing kids to play in situations they shouldn't be in.  Either the way they lose the talent.  but in the end all it does it hurt the kid and the team, which is not good for hockey. 

Yeah I agree, especially for their draft +2 season. I can see a mandated draft +1 season, but after that there should be an option the NHL club can exercise for the betterment of their investments. Virtanen had already been with the Hitmen for 4 seasons already. This along with the NCAA rules need to be adjusted a little bit for todays development timelines - they are just outdated for the most part with the emphasis at the NHL level on player development and cap restrictions. 

20 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Yeah I agree, especially for their draft +2 season. I can see a mandated draft +1 season, but after that there should be an option the NHL club can exercise for the betterment of their investments. Virtanen had already been with the Hitmen for 4 seasons already. This along with the NCAA rules need to be adjusted a little bit for todays development timelines - they are just outdated for the most part with the emphasis at the NHL level on player development and cap restrictions. 

With how strong NCAA development has come, it makes you wonder why players don't lean towards that route more often.  It gives the players a lot more options.

If I remember correctly

11 players in the first round of the 2016 draft went to the NCAA post draft. and out of those 11, 6 of the players have already jumped up to the AHL/NHL,  That's less than one year post draft and over half of them are in the pro's. 

9 players in the first two rounds of 2015 draft went to the NCAA post draft. and 8 have turned pro and 5/9 have already completed a full year in the AHL/NHL.  Brock, White, Greenway, Karlsson and are the only ones with less than 60 pro games.   

While a player like Roslovic was able to get a full season in the AHL 2 years post draft, a player like Jake would have to be back in the CHL.  it's stupid. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

With how strong NCAA development has come, it makes you wonder why players don't lean towards that route more often.  It gives the players a lot more options.

If I remember correctly

11 players in the first round of the 2016 draft went to the NCAA post draft. and out of those 11, 6 of the players have already jumped up to the AHL/NHL,  That's less than one year post draft and over half of them are in the pro's. 

9 players in the first two rounds of 2015 draft went to the NCAA post draft. and 8 have turned pro and 5/9 have already completed a full year in the AHL/NHL.  Brock, White, Greenway, Karlsson and are the only ones with less than 60 pro games.   

While a player like Roslovic was able to get a full season in the AHL 2 years post draft, a player like Jake would have to be back in the CHL.  it's stupid. 

Players need to have decent academics don't they, to get a college scholarship?  It's not football or basketball.  It's hockey.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Players need to have decent academics don't they, to get a college scholarship?  It's not football or basketball.  It's hockey.  

Yep, especially if you're looking at somewhere like Harvard or Yale. The coach can help you get in, but you still need to be good academically and have high SAT or ACT scores. Some programs might be a little more lenient than others though.

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

Zabransky, Libor
Selected by Kelowna in the expansion draft.

Right shot D from Czech league, who is draft eligible next year.

Could be a solid addition for Lind and the Rockets

Kelowna will be a good team next year. Cal Foote and Kole Lind will be in their draft+1 seasons. Nolan Foote had 35 points in 52 games in his Draft-2 season and may be near a PPG this upcoming season. He is eligible for the 2019 draft. Dillon Dube will be in his final junior season. Looking forward to Lind's development.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The CHL rule is dumb.  Each club should be able to exercise the right for atl east one player every two years to go into the AHL

I could see see an agreement being made between the NHL and CHL. Obviously money would have to be involved (it is a business after all).

Maybe 1 player per NHL organization that can be "bought out" and play in the AHL. Specifically, maybe the player in question would have to be in their final junior season too. So for example, Virtanen after being drafted would spend his Draft+1 year in the WHL and in his Draft+2 year the Canucks have the option to use their 1 player slot to "buy out" Virtanen from his WHL team and have him play in the AHL as opposed to another year in junior or a year in the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It would be nice to be able to get at least one prospect out of the CHL early.

I agree with Homebrew above especially their draft +2 season. 

I think the main argument for keeping them there is keeping the league competitive, the better player you have to compete with the better you can become, in most cases at least. 

You take the top talents from the CHL and maybe the other kids don't end up with the same potential.

It's hard to say if it's true or not, I'd still like to see us be able to take someone like Juolevi out early and sent to the AHL 

25 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

It would be nice to be able to get at least one prospect out of the CHL early.

I agree with Homebrew above especially their draft +2 season. 

Yeah I could see the argument for +2 season after draft..

I think the main argument for keeping them there is keeping the league competitive, the better player you have to compete with the better you can become, in most cases at least. 

You take the top talents from the CHL and maybe the other kids don't end up with the same potential.

I get that line of thinking but in the end, it usually means a team forces players to play in the NHL.  The CHL lost Jake and Jared regardless. 

I'm also of the opinion that the keeping those players back in the CHL doesn't mean a better product.  Moving players opens up room for other kids to grow into. In the end teams will end up churning out more NHL talent, which is a huge draw for bringing in kid to play in that league.  Robert Thomas is the perfect example, Had Marner, Tkachuk stayed back to play, he wouldn't have got the same opportunity to grow in his draft year like he did. 

It's hard to say if it's true or not, I'd still like to see us be able to take someone like Juolevi out early and sent to the AHL 

I agree, maybe it's not every player is eligible, maybe only players who are draft +2 years, and maybe a team is only allowed 1 player every two years that they can grant this status for.  For the most part that would leave it up to teams only taking the players that are fringe NHL talent rather then poaching all the draft picks.  

• Upvote 1