The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

On 9/5/2020 at 10:58 AM, Darius said:

Can Lind make Gaud expendable?  I might take some heat here....

Im a big fan of Gaudette, i used to tune into his college games just to watch him play.  I was excited when he came here.  

He turns 24 next month .  He looks like he is in over his head at centre.  He struggled defensively even at wing.  Can he offer the team more than what we have seen?  Keep in mind that he is older than Brock and same age as Jake.

He has decent pedigree and is fairly young, can the team move him as a sweetener to unload a contract like Baertschi? give Lind a shot at his spot?  Lind had a bit of a nasty streak in Junior, we need more of that element.

I think Kole Lind gets overlooked a lot here, he had a great season and most felt he was a 1st round talent. I like his skillset we lack playmaking wingers and I like his grit and play away from the puck. Like Gaudette he needed time to adjust to higher levels, I actually think he has a higher ceiling and is more skilled then AG and plays a better overall game, especially in bottom six role.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

On 9/4/2020 at 1:48 AM, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

No way Markstrom signs anything less then a 5 year deal. The funny thing is that Robin Lehner could replace Markstrom next season to share the net with Demko. 

Yup, this is Markys pay day contract. If I was the agent, I'd hit the open market because theres going to be a lot of suitors from the East. People are seriously overrating Marky's year, you guys do know that we were 2nd in goals in the West right? He was a part of the reason, but he wasn't the MAIN reason why we had a good season

On 8/30/2020 at 9:33 AM, Robert Long said:

I don't see how we don't lose him thanks to expansion. If we move him this offseason at least we recover something. I have no doubt Seattle would pick him, even over Myers (if he's exposed).

There will be a lot of really good goalies available for Seattle to choose from. I'm sure Benning could make a deal with them.

If Demko goes into the draft and is the consensus best goalie, then Benning would get a killing if he traded him. Or if Marky is here and is the 1b then ask Marky to allow them to expose him, while making a deal with Seattle instead. 

Trading Demko now is a waste, 6 years spent grooming him to lose him for a 2nd or a B prospect isn't worth it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

There will be a lot of really good goalies available for Seattle to choose from. I'm sure Benning could make a deal with them.

If Demko goes into the draft and is the consensus best goalie, then Benning would get a killing if he traded him. Or if Marky is here and is the 1b then ask Marky to allow them to expose him, while making a deal with Seattle instead. 

Trading Demko now is a waste, 6 years spent grooming him to lose him for a 2nd or a B prospect isn't worth it. 

I posted that pre-Demko playoffs show. I now think we should keep him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2020 at 5:20 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Fair enough, but that's a bridge for us to cross next year.  Demko's signed with us for now and Marky's our MVP this season.  We've seen Demko get injured very often over the last few seasons and he's not a proven starter yet.  Putting all our eggs in that basket just makes no sense.  Who knows, Marky might just sign a 2 year bridge deal hoping that the cap will go up after covid. 

good luck on that one, Marky's deal is 4 yrs min and well deserved

I think Lind's playing style is much more in line with the kind of game Green wants the team to play - especially for a bottom 6 role. 

I too feel Gaudette would be better in a winger position. He tends to seem overwhelmed at center - especially when the play ramps up. And despite his huge improvement this season, I have difficulty seeing top 6 potential in him. Perhaps top 6 like we used to have, but now that we have a really good top 6 I don't see him ever cutting it and expect either Hogs or Pods to get there first.

If the return was right (see: Helping us move LE's contract) I would be willing to see him go. But if that happens, do we keep both Sutter and Beagle 3c and 4c? We really don't have any up and coming centers do we? Maybe this is not the time to move an NHL-ready center. Or, perhaps if we can move Sutter we could get a guy in like Jenner who plays a stronger physical game but can still pot some goals.

• Upvote 1

I think with some changes up front, Lind is going to be one of the first forwards to get a call-up next season. It'll be a compressed season so we'll need more bodies and injuries will surely rack up, plus we're not sure if JB is going to try and move out some forward contracts for cheaper fill-ins like Lind.

I do hope he starts well defensively, surprisingly had the most PIMs on the Utica team but if he can throw his big frame around and come to training camp a bit more filled-out, he might get a callup ahead of someone like Bailey.

13 hours ago, kloubek said:

If the return was right (see: Helping us move LE's contract) I would be willing to see him go. But if that happens, do we keep both Sutter and Beagle 3c and 4c? We really don't have any up and coming centers do we? Maybe this is not the time to move an NHL-ready center. Or, perhaps if we can move Sutter we could get a guy in like Jenner who plays a stronger physical game but can still pot some goals.

We've got nothing for centers on the way up...  Jasek, Linus Karlsson and Costmar are playing the position but are far from established or sure fire bets to make the big leagues.  

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We've got nothing for centers on the way up...  Jasek, Linus Karlsson and Costmar are playing the position but are far from established or sure fire bets to make the big leagues.  

We recently signed Michaelis and may see Focht in the minors next season. Have to hope Gaudette can handle the role in the meantime.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We recently signed Michaelis and may see Focht in the minors next season. Have to hope Gaudette can handle the role in the meantime.

Fortunately we have at least half a dozen NHL centres already on the team. Unless JB goes along with the armchair GMs and dumps several of them.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Watching Kole take face-offs and play a little at center this season made me think he could make a good third line center.  With his size and skill as a playmaker I think he would be better than Adam in the #3rd line center spot.  Plus Kole is a pain to play against.  He's a good pest who doesn't back down from anyone.  Just some thoughts. B)

This is good stuff, I never realized Lind also played C. This could be a real good option down the road, or even next season? Canucks are a bit thin at C, especially if they trade Sutter. It'll still be 2-3 years before Focht and/or Karlsson make the team (if they do).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Kole Lind must be licking his chops this offseason.

With the Canucks losing out on Toffoli leaves a glaring spot beside Bo Horvat on the rightside.  I don't know if Kole Lind is ready for prime time, but if anything our lack of activity in FA so far has open a door for Kole Lind to potentially seize.  I hope he does.  i think his overall game would really benefit Bo.  Kole has the skill to get pucks on the sticks of players.  He also developed a really good gritty sandpaper game which allowed him to win a lot of puck battles and touches with the puck.

I was hoping in 2 years time he would be groomed for that position beside Bo, but seems like the future is now for the Canucks.

Yep, there are spots open for the young guys right now. Hogs, Podz and Lind all have the opportunity to seize spots this coming year.

Was looking at our Cap situation and we have about 20M coming off the books next year in UFAs. Assuming we don't resign any of them that likely leaves barely enough or not enough to sign Petey, Hughes and Demko.

8-10 for Petey/Hughes each and 3-6 for Demko depending on his performance this year.

Therefore, I definitely understand why Benning hasn't signed anyone currently and that leaves great opportunity for the kids.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/15/2020 at 12:45 AM, kloubek said:

I think Lind's playing style is much more in line with the kind of game Green wants the team to play - especially for a bottom 6 role. 

I too feel Gaudette would be better in a winger position. He tends to seem overwhelmed at center - especially when the play ramps up. And despite his huge improvement this season, I have difficulty seeing top 6 potential in him. Perhaps top 6 like we used to have, but now that we have a really good top 6 I don't see him ever cutting it and expect either Hogs or Pods to get there first.

Lind has the size, skating and hands to be a top 6 guy.  

Hes been a legit scorer at every point in his career, and started showing those skills later last year in Utica.

Id like to see him dominate in Utica before being called up... but, is there even going to be minor league hockey this year?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Kole Lind must be licking his chops this offseason.

With the Canucks losing out on Toffoli leaves a glaring spot beside Bo Horvat on the rightside.  I don't know if Kole Lind is ready for prime time, but if anything our lack of activity in FA so far has open a door for Kole Lind to potentially seize.  I hope he does.  i think his overall game would really benefit Bo.  Kole has the skill to get pucks on the sticks of players.  He also developed a really good gritty sandpaper game which allowed him to win a lot of puck battles and touches with the puck.

I was hoping in 2 years time he would be groomed for that position beside Bo, but seems like the future is now for the Canucks.

Totally fine with it, play the kids.

We need to inject ELC's into our lineup now.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Lind has the size, skating and hands to be a top 6 guy.  

Hes been a legit scorer at every point in his career, and started showing those skills later last year in Utica.

Id like to see him dominate in Utica before being called up... but, is there even going to be minor league hockey this year?

I don't think so, everthing points to "no" but who knows! Which is dissapointing because i'm a huge AHL fan! I think Benning is planning for the worst. Maybe that's why he didn't sign his vets? Wants to make sure his young guys play no matter what. Because in the end it's about developing the players he's drafted. I actually think Lind can make a difference already at the NHL level. He's our new age version of Burrows IMO. The "Shaunavon s**t" disturber" is ready. Is it ideal, no...but i'd rather have him play NHL minutes than go over seas where you can't track his development.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1