The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

16 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I really hope another team takes a chance on Sven Baertchi, the guy deserves another shot

I'm sure any other team could get him for essentially nothing and they have been able to for the past couple of years - nobody wants him and his concussion history. Ferland had the same kind of history with concussions, but Benning decided it wasn't a problem. Those kind of decisions are the reason we have so much unproductive or under productive cap space, On the other hand, Benning has made some fine choices in the draft, and we will see another fine choice tonight in Hoglander, and hopefully soon have another great choice in Podkolzin. Hopefully Benning's crew master cap management before we have to re-sign Hughes and Pettersson.

13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I'm sure any other team could get him for essentially nothing and they have been able to for the past couple of years - nobody wants him and his concussion history. Ferland had the same kind of history with concussions, but Benning decided it wasn't a problem. Those kind of decisions are the reason we have so much unproductive or under productive cap space, On the other hand, Benning has made some fine choices in the draft, and we will see another fine choice tonight in Hoglander, and hopefully soon have another great choice in Podkolzin. Hopefully Benning's crew master cap management before we have to re-sign Hughes and Pettersson.

I’m wondering if the Sens have interest? They need some offence and Baer could help. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I’m wondering if the Sens have interest? They need some offence and Baer could help. 

They have been able to get him for more than a year, probably for the cost of just taking him off the Canucks hands and taking on his cap. But it’s a risk, they could take him, be on the hook for the financial bite, and he is at high risk of being back on the LTIR in a heartbeat. There is very little doubt that Baer can generate offence, for for how long, for what cost. The Sens management is not known for throwing their cash away.

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

They have been able to get him for more than a year, probably for the cost of just taking him off the Canucks hands and taking on his cap. But it’s a risk, they could take him, be on the hook for the financial bite, and he is at high risk of being back on the LTIR in a heartbeat. There is very little doubt that Baer can generate offence, for for how long, for what cost. The Sens management is not known for throwing their cash away.

If we could do 50% retention on Baer and add Gaudette in exchange for Nick Paul... I'd be all for it. 

Or throw in Virtanen if we can nab Tierney instead.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

If we could do 50% retention on Baer and add Gaudette in exchange for Nick Paul... I'd be all for it. 

Or throw in Virtanen if we can nab Tierney instead.

I’m beginning to think Jake needs a change of scenery, and we have MacEwen still coming along, and Hoglander seems to have taken that second line spot on RW. Then there is Cole Lind coming along, maybe as a centre, and that could push Gaudette to the wing. Jake still has value, but that value decreases the longer he does not play. 

I’m not sure we need a body in return, we have a number of young prospects at a stage where they are becoming players, I’d prefer to get picks if we can. Benning has a strong draft record.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’m beginning to think Jake needs a change of scenery, and we have MacEwen still coming along, and Hoglander seems to have taken that second line spot on RW. Then there is Cole Lind coming along, maybe as a centre, and that could push Gaudette to the wing. Jake still has value, but that value decreases the longer he does not play. 

I’m not sure we need a body in return, we have a number of young prospects at a stage where they are becoming players, I’d prefer to get picks if we can. Benning has a strong draft record.

I’d also consider using Jake as the sweetener to finally move Eriksson. Maybe retain a little, and/or get a small return (late pick), whatever balances out the trade, but primarily just to shed the last two years of Eriksson’s contract. Offloading two contracts, and opening up two spots in the forward depth chart, would just be an added bonus. Plenty of guys, like Lind and Podkolzin, appear ready to fill the spots vacated. And the freed up salary space would obviously be a benefit, whether used toward extensions on Petey and Hughes (might even be able to go longterm instead of bridge), or to upgrade weak areas on the roster.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Given that number of bodies, I'd be fine doing a two or even three for one deal if it means a meaningful upgrade (which a young, legit 3C would be IMO).

We solidify that position and it's another of our quickly diminishing holes plugged.

12 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

So nobody talk Lind at least until after the expansion draft.

You could explore protecting him and exposing Jake. With Jakes contract and record Seattle may be hard pressed to do so. You get 7 forwards so go EP, Boes, Bo JT, Gaud, Mac, Lind or Motte (Hogz exempt) and expose Jake, Pearson. 
 I’m thinking Seattle takes Holtby though. 

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Given that number of bodies, I'd be fine doing a two or even three for one deal if it means a meaningful upgrade (which a young, legit 3C would be IMO).

We solidify that position and it's another of our quickly diminishing holes plugged.

Why would another team want quantity for quality?  It waters down their roster.  

41 minutes ago, mll said:

Why would another team want quantity for quality?  It waters down their roster.  

That's literally what rebuilding teams do. Thanks though bruh.

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's literally what rebuilding teams do. Thanks though bruh.

You were answering to a post about moving Virtanen to give him a change of scenery and having prospects ready to become players.  Waiver eligibility kicks in at some point.  There’s also the 50 contract limit so it’s not like teams can just hoard B prospects on top of their own.  Which assets do you have in mind for a team to be willing to part with a young legit C3.

14 minutes ago, mll said:

You were answering to a post about moving Virtanen to give him a change of scenery and having prospects ready to become players.  Waiver eligibility kicks in at some point.  There’s also the 50 contract limit so it’s not like teams can just hoard B prospects on top of their own.  Which assets do you have in mind for a team to be willing to part with a young legit C3.

Some mix of Virtanen, Gaudette and a prospect and/or pick likely.. basically a standard rebuild trade like we've seen a million times. Still young players + prospects. 

But you keep on carrying on mll...

On 1/31/2021 at 12:19 AM, Outsiders said:

It would be huge if Lind could play centre. He's a pest, and has a scoring touch. The question marks, skating (isn't the best), draws (gotta be better than Gaudette), defensively 

Gauds is on borrowed time if Lind excels at centre. Him being able to play multiple forward positions will almost guarantee him a spot in the lineup, especially with Beagle and Roussels contracts ending in next summer 2022

I would trade Virtanen for Bennett so fast if I could....We really lack the gritty toughness that Bennett plays with, good 3rd line centre or plays wing, makes big hits, drops his gloves. We have MacEwen, Myers, Hamonic, really miss Ferland for this....Vancouver is soft and we must change this..

Tryamkin 6'8, 265 we need his toughness, teams would be aware when he is on the ice, Podkolzin 6'2 will also add toughness......

• Upvote 1

Big game coming up on Friday, Kole Lind about to prove himself at the centre ice position.  Will Kole Lind be the third line centre of the future for the Vancouver Canucks?  Will the Canucks end up protecting Kole Lind in the expansion draft?  I may be dreaming, I may just be hoping, but I'm thinking yes.

• Thanks 1