The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

On 2/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

There are restrictions on protected players by position also (my understanding is it's 7F, 3D, 1G).  I assume locks for protection (among those who are not exempt) are: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, ____, ____, ____; Schmidt, Juolevi (IMHO), ____; Demko. 

Gaudette seems likely to be protected unless he's traded.  Motte might be protected.  IMHO, he's quite important to the team.  Open question about MacEwen.  I think an interesting question will be if Virtanen will be protected.

With three "unknown" spots, Lind could still make the protected list if he has a huge year in Utica.  Considering Lind is currently playing C, if he can play well at that position, then I assume he leapfrogs several players and might even push Gaudette.

We'll have to see if the Canucks do in fact make any trades and if those trades result in any new players needing protection.  I could see the team try to move out Gaudette or Virtanen for a RHD but my guess is neither are considered valuable enough to net a solid RHD without the Canucks adding more.

Thanks, you are right.  The web site below says a team can protect 7F, 3D and 1G.  

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/expansion-draft-full-rules/c-289403076

The above web site also says:  * All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft and they aren't required to give up a player.

Hoglander, Podkholzin, Dipietro, Woo, Lind, Jasek, Lockwood and Gadjovich would all be exempt so Seattle can't pick them.  Any player with a NMC is also exempt and can't be included in the unprotected list.

Needless to say, Seattle will be picking some good players and they will likely have a competitive team that, hopefully, won't be as strong as our Canucks.  As we saw during the Vegas expansion draft, some teams will also be giving up draft picks to Seattle to discourage them from picking specific players on their teams.  It will be interesting and I hope that we will have fans in the arenas when next season starts.

19 hours ago, sockeye said:

Thanks, you are right.  The web site below says a team can protect 7F, 3D and 1G.  

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/expansion-draft-full-rules/c-289403076

The above web site also says:  * All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft and they aren't required to give up a player.

Hoglander, Podkholzin, Dipietro, Woo, Lind, Jasek, Lockwood and Gadjovich would all be exempt so Seattle can't pick them.  Any player with a NMC is also exempt and can't be included in the unprotected list.

Needless to say, Seattle will be picking some good players and they will likely have a competitive team that, hopefully, won't be as strong as our Canucks.  As we saw during the Vegas expansion draft, some teams will also be giving up draft picks to Seattle to discourage them from picking specific players on their teams.  It will be interesting and I hope that we will have fans in the arenas when next season starts.

I believe Lind, Jasek and Gadjovich will all reach games played to be considered having had their third pro season.

Edited by aGENT

On 2/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

There are restrictions on protected players by position also (my understanding is it's 7F, 3D, 1G).  I assume locks for protection (among those who are not exempt) are: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, ____, ____, ____; Schmidt, Juolevi (IMHO), ____; Demko. 

Gaudette seems likely to be protected unless he's traded.  Motte might be protected.  IMHO, he's quite important to the team.  Open question about MacEwen.  I think an interesting question will be if Virtanen will be protected.

With three "unknown" spots, Lind could still make the protected list if he has a huge year in Utica.  Considering Lind is currently playing C, if he can play well at that position, then I assume he leapfrogs several players and might even push Gaudette.

We'll have to see if the Canucks do in fact make any trades and if those trades result in any new players needing protection.  I could see the team try to move out Gaudette or Virtanen for a RHD but my guess is neither are considered valuable enough to net a solid RHD without the Canucks adding more.

Do u think Juolevi will be protected?

My Protection list would be:

Brock,

Bo

Miller

EP

Motte

Gaudette

Lind

Myers

Schmidt

OJ

(deal will need to be made for and eligible D)

Demko

We expose: LE, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen, Holtby, and a host of spare parts.

No way do we take a chance on losing Lind.  JB was high on him at the draft, and Lind is proving him right this season.

Edited by BCNate
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Brock,

Bo

Miller

EP

Motte

Gaudette

Lind

Myers

Schmidt

OJ

Demko

No way do we take a chance on losing Lind.  JB was high on him at the draft, and Lind is proving him right this season.

The only one out of your forward list that I'm not sold on is Gaudette. Earlier this season, Virtanen, of all people, set him up at least 3 times in the first period alone and he couldn't bury the puck. We ended up losing the game. He should have had at least a hattrick, if not 5 goals that game. He's had way too many opportunities to score and can't put the puck in the net. Apparently he's had issues with his stomach and the ability to gain weight. I'll give him that, and I'll give him until the end of the season. I'm not writing the guy off, but as much as he creates, there's not a lot of results. And he's not someone that I am keen on protecting at this point. 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Brock,

Bo

Miller

EP

Motte

Gaudette

Lind

Myers

Schmidt

OJ

Demko

That's my list for now as well.

Hoping we can package Virtanen and Gaudette for a young'ish, legit 3C for that protection spot you have Gaudette in though.

And hopefully we can snag someone's #4RD they won't be able to protect, for a discount, and risk exposing Myers and/or ensure SEA takes someone else. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

The attached will show the players that we will risk losing if not protected along with the players exempt from the draft. Lind will be eligible to be selected unless we protect him

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

It looks like the prospects have to play 27/54 games this year.  Juolevi (14), Chatfield(18), Mac(15) games remaining, so they will manage Chatfield and Mac's games remaining, so they can keep Mac exempt, but likely leave Chat unprotected.  All the others would have play 27 games to lose their exemptions.  At least that's how it appears to me.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It looks like the prospects have to play 27/54 games this year.  Juolevi (14), Chatfield(18), Mac(15) games remaining, so they will manage Chatfield and Mac's games remaining, so they can keep Mac exempt, but likely leave Chat unprotected.  All the others would have play 27 games to lose their exemptions.  At least that's how it appears to me.

Hadn't thought about that caveat for perhaps holding MacEwan out of games... Makes sense.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hadn't thought about that caveat for perhaps holding MacEwan out of games... Makes sense.

I'm not saying that this isn't a strategy they're using - but burning time off a player's contract status has never been a consideration for playing/not playing (or even signing) players in the past for this management group.  I'd be surprised if this is a calculated strategy they're using for the purposes of meeting exemption requirements, but you never know. 

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm not saying that this isn't a strategy they're using - but burning time off a player's contract status has never been a consideration for playing/not playing (or even signing) players in the past for this management group.  I'd be surprised if this is a calculated strategy they're using for the purposes of meeting exemption requirements, but you never know. 

Sorry guys but that doesn't work. The number of games played only comes into play to make sure you are meeting the minimum requirements available to pick from. The number of games played does not make the player ineligible to be selected but you must meet the minimum requirements to make players available to Seattle.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

The only one out of your forward list that I'm not sold on is Gaudette. Earlier this season, Virtanen, of all people, set him up at least 3 times in the first period alone and he couldn't bury the puck. We ended up losing the game. He should have had at least a hattrick, if not 5 goals that game. He's had way too many opportunities to score and can't put the puck in the net. Apparently he's had issues with his stomach and the ability to gain weight. I'll give him that, and I'll give him until the end of the season. I'm not writing the guy off, but as much as he creates, there's not a lot of results. And he's not someone that I am keen on protecting at this point. 

Fair enough, but who would you protect in his spot?

I left JV out there as I don't want him for 2.5 next year.

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's my list for now as well.

Hoping we can package Virtanen and Gaudette for a young'ish, legit 3C for that protection spot you have Gaudette in though.

And hopefully we can snag someone's #4RD they won't be able to protect, for a discount, and risk exposing Myers and/or ensure SEA takes someone else. 

A lot of GM's got burned in the Vegas draft trying to work around the protection lists.  It's going to be really interesting to see how they play it this year.  At least we are set up well to lose either a fronge player, or some salary.  Either way, we are set up well heading in.

• Cheers 1

At this point, I'm not making any rash decisions. This scenario will literally play itself out. There's still time to make those choices. And by the way, I am not a Gaudette hater. I want him to do well. If he deserves to be protected, so be it. 

57 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Sorry guys but that doesn't work. The number of games played only comes into play to make sure you are meeting the minimum requirements available to pick from. The number of games played does not make the player ineligible to be selected but you must meet the minimum requirements to make players available to Seattle.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons

Right. Hadn't finished coffee yet :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1