The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On February 5, 2021 at 10:18 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

We have to protect Lind for the expansion draft, right? If so, we can't risk losing him...

There is no way they protect Lind in Expansion draft?

Only so many players, think its 9 and of course Hughes doesn't have to be protected...

Petey, Horvat, Miller, Schmidt, Demko,  ______,  _________, _________, __________

10 minutes ago, wildcam said:

There is no way they protect Lind in Expansion draft?

Only so many players, think its 9 and of course Hughes doesn't have to be protected...

Petey, Horvat, Miller, Schmidt, Demko,  ______,  _________, _________, __________

There are restrictions on protected players by position also (my understanding is it's 7F, 3D, 1G).  I assume locks for protection (among those who are not exempt) are: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, ____, ____, ____; Schmidt, Juolevi (IMHO), ____; Demko. 

Gaudette seems likely to be protected unless he's traded.  Motte might be protected.  IMHO, he's quite important to the team.  Open question about MacEwen.  I think an interesting question will be if Virtanen will be protected.

With three "unknown" spots, Lind could still make the protected list if he has a huge year in Utica.  Considering Lind is currently playing C, if he can play well at that position, then I assume he leapfrogs several players and might even push Gaudette.

We'll have to see if the Canucks do in fact make any trades and if those trades result in any new players needing protection.  I could see the team try to move out Gaudette or Virtanen for a RHD but my guess is neither are considered valuable enough to net a solid RHD without the Canucks adding more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

There are restrictions on protected players by position also (my understanding is it's 7F, 3D, 1G).  I assume locks for protection (among those who are not exempt) are: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, ____, ____, ____; Schmidt, Juolevi (IMHO), ____; Demko. 

Gaudette seems likely to be protected unless he's traded.  Motte might be protected.  IMHO, he's quite important to the team.  Open question about MacEwen.  I think an interesting question will be if Virtanen will be protected.

With three "unknown" spots, Lind could still make the protected list if he has a huge year in Utica.  Considering Lind is currently playing C, if he can play well at that position, then I assume he leapfrogs several players and might even push Gaudette.

We'll have to see if the Canucks do in fact make any trades and if those trades result in any new players needing protection.  I could see the team try to move out Gaudette or Virtanen for a RHD but my guess is neither are considered valuable enough to net a solid RHD without the Canucks adding more.

It will be very interesting to see who gets protected for sure. Lind is very much an uncertainty as the NHL is a much different game. So would Seattle value guys that are a little bit more proven in the NHL even if they are bottom 6 players at the moment. Or would the covet good prospects instead.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

It will be very interesting to see who gets protected for sure. Lind is very much an uncertainty as the NHL is a much different game. So would Seattle value guys that are a little bit more proven in the NHL even if they are bottom 6 players at the moment. Or would the covet good prospects instead.

I tend to think that's good view of Seattle's position. There's 775 players in the NHL spread through 31 teams where does Lind stack up in terms of the 775 NHL tested players. Lind has been set up to showcase himself this year with his two wingers and seems to be making the most of it. I think it ould be a gamble for Seattle to take Lind when likely Virtanen or others  is available. Seattle is in tough after seeing what Vegas did in their expansion draft

Edited by Fred65
  • Hydration 1
8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If he keeps scoring four goals every three games we won’t have to worry about and decision regarding protecting him.

• Hydration 2
6 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think that's good view of Seattle's position. There's 775 players in the NHL spread through 31 teams where does Lind stack up in terms of the 775 NHL tested players. Lind has been set up to showcase himself this year with his two wingers and seems to be making the most of it. I think it ould be a gamble for Seattle to take Lind when likely Virtanen or others  is available. Seattle is in tough after seeing what Vegas did in their expansion draft

We should stop worrying too much about Seattle expansion and come to terms with the fact that they will get a good player from us.  

I would've loved to have that problem during the Vegas expansion but our team sucked so bad that we were happy for Vegas to take Sbisa off our hands.  We gave them crap to pick between...  and it will be much different this time around because of the quality of our team now. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We should stop worrying too much about Seattle expansion and come to terms with the fact that they will get a good player from us.  

I would've loved to have that problem during the Vegas expansion but our team sucked so bad that we were happy for Vegas to take Sbisa off our hands.  We gave them crap to pick between...  and it will be much different this time around because of the quality of our team now. 

sbisa did have a super solid season for them but got injured

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I sure hope not. He is the worst Canuck on the team.

• Haha 2
On 2/16/2021 at 11:07 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'd protect Lind over McEwen, Gaudette, and Virtanen. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Burr 1
  • Vintage 1
10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly! Don't rule out that Benning will try and make a deal on which player they take.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That's quite a telling comment, why ? well so was Schmidt a solid player in Vegas

Schmidt was utilized as their top pair defenseman in both the season and playoffs in each year in terms of minutes. 

Sbisa had 30 good games then got hurt. In the playoffs they utilized him as a 3rd pair D playing 16:07. In all likelihood Sbisa would have cooled down over the course of an 82 game season with Vegas. 

Schmidt was a much better player with a much greater sample size to prove that. In Vegas he was paired with a physical/defensive guy in McNabb last year. They worked well together because they mitigated each other’s weaknesses and as a result created a good pairing. 

Overall our D-core doesn’t mesh well within the top 4. It’s a part of the problem for Hughes/Schmidt defensively though they certainly can be better. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Schmidt was utilized as their top pair defenseman in both the season and playoffs in each year in terms of minutes. 

Sbisa had 30 good games then got hurt. In the playoffs they utilized him as a 3rd pair D playing 16:07. In all likelihood Sbisa would have cooled down over the course of an 82 game season with Vegas. 

Schmidt was a much better player with a much greater sample size to prove that. In Vegas he was paired with a physical/defensive guy in McNabb last year. They worked well together because they mitigated each other’s weaknesses and as a result created a good pairing. 

Overall our D-core doesn’t mesh well within the top 4. It’s a part of the problem for Hughes/Schmidt defensively though they certainly can be better. 

Yeah gotta love that pass up the middle by Schmidt, heck kids would be benched for plays like that  :lol:

• Sad 1
On 2/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

Thanks, you are right.  The web site below says a team can protect 7F, 3D and 1G.  

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/expansion-draft-full-rules/c-289403076

The above web site also says:  * All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft and they aren't required to give up a player.

Hoglander, Podkholzin, Dipietro, Woo, Lind, Jasek, Lockwood and Gadjovich would all be exempt so Seattle can't pick them.  Any player with a NMC is also exempt and can't be included in the unprotected list.

Needless to say, Seattle will be picking some good players and they will likely have a competitive team that, hopefully, won't be as strong as our Canucks.  As we saw during the Vegas expansion draft, some teams will also be giving up draft picks to Seattle to discourage them from picking specific players on their teams.  It will be interesting and I hope that we will have fans in the arenas when next season starts.

19 hours ago, sockeye said:

Thanks, you are right.  The web site below says a team can protect 7F, 3D and 1G.  

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/expansion-draft-full-rules/c-289403076

The above web site also says:  * All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft and they aren't required to give up a player.

Hoglander, Podkholzin, Dipietro, Woo, Lind, Jasek, Lockwood and Gadjovich would all be exempt so Seattle can't pick them.  Any player with a NMC is also exempt and can't be included in the unprotected list.

Needless to say, Seattle will be picking some good players and they will likely have a competitive team that, hopefully, won't be as strong as our Canucks.  As we saw during the Vegas expansion draft, some teams will also be giving up draft picks to Seattle to discourage them from picking specific players on their teams.  It will be interesting and I hope that we will have fans in the arenas when next season starts.

I believe Lind, Jasek and Gadjovich will all reach games played to be considered having had their third pro season.

Edited by aGENT
On 2/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

Do u think Juolevi will be protected?

12 hours ago, RichieCanuck said:

Do u think Juolevi will be protected?

Of course OJ will be protected, which is probably why the poster you are responding to described him as a "lock" to be protected.