The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

25 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Great. We lost Lind. I see Lind being a future top 6 in the NHL and now he will be with our direct rival. 

specultive, he may suddenly turn into a NHL player but there's no fact to back this up. The one guy that is not happy about the expansion draft is MacEwen who now faces  Jamie Oleksiak frequentley

• Cheers 2

This post could really blow up in my face years from now, but I'm curious about how big of a loss Lind really would be.

He's definitely touted as being gritty and a playmaker who looks like he would be ready to play in the NHL.  Given how he's performed to start his career though, I wonder if he'd even have a roster spot ahead of MacEwen who's shown some scoring punch and grit (plus there's guys like Lockwood/ Hawryluk if they bring him back as guys vying for 4th line roles).  As well, I think between keeping a project in him and bringing in someone like Dickinson for a needed defensive role in a situation when we're bound to lose someone, I think the choice is pretty obvious as to who to keep.  Lastly, it's not as if our wings are old and past their prime -- Miller and Pearson are our oldest wingers and both are only 28, plus Hoglander and Podkolzin who likely have long-term top-6 roles, are only 20.  

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

This post could really blow up in my face years from now, but I'm curious about how big of a loss Lind really would be.

He's definitely touted as being gritty and a playmaker who looks like he would be ready to play in the NHL.  Given how he's performed to start his career though, I wonder if he'd even have a roster spot ahead of MacEwen who's shown some scoring punch and grit (plus there's guys like Lockwood/ Hawryluk if they bring him back as guys vying for 4th line roles).  As well, I think between keeping a project in him and bringing in someone like Dickinson for a needed defensive role in a situation when we're bound to lose someone, I think the choice is pretty obvious as to who to keep.  Lastly, it's not as if our wings are old and past their prime -- Miller and Pearson are our oldest wingers and both are only 28, plus Hoglander and Podkolzin who likely have long-term top-6 roles, are only 20.  

Bottom line is Lind had a lot of guys in front of him. Even if he hadn't been picked, there's no guarantee he'd have beaten out the players in front of him and gone on to be a top 9 guy. Could he have done it? Possibly, but would he have been good enough this season to avoid waivers? Hard to say. 

I'd have preferred Seattle to have taken Holtby, as that frees up cap and allows us to keep Lind, but it is what it is. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

So frustrating, I was cheering for Lind, and figured he would get every chance to make the team out of camp.  I thought he was the player the Canucks hoped Jake would be, gritty, good hitter, good skater, maybe without as much finish, but with far better vision and hockey IQ.  I hope he turns into a regular 20+ goal scorer wherever he ends up.  He seems like a good kid and I hope for the best for him.  I'm really disappointed with JB on this one.  Motte is one or two concussions away from calling it a career, I predict he'll miss half the season again this year, while Lind will become a regular with the Kraken either this year or next.  Here's hoping Gadj improves his skating and makes the team, sadly Big Mac is a waste of a roster spot.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

So frustrating, I was cheering for Lind, and figured he would get every chance to make the team out of camp.  I thought he was the player the Canucks hoped Jake would be, gritty, good hitter, good skater, maybe without as much finish, but with far better vision and hockey IQ.  I hope he turns into a regular 20+ goal scorer wherever he ends up.  He seems like a good kid and I hope for the best for him.  I'm really disappointed with JB on this one.  Motte is one or two concussions away from calling it a career, I predict he'll miss half the season again this year, while Lind will become a regular with the Kraken either this year or next.  Here's hoping Gadj improves his skating and makes the team, sadly Big Mac is a waste of a roster spot.

Lind is no where near a guarantee and didn't show much during his 7 game stint. I think it's far more likely he ends up in someone else's system. He's going to have a heck of a time playing through guys that all bring what he does but more.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Lind is no where near a guarantee and didn't show much during his 7 game stint. I think it's far more likely he ends up in someone else's system. He's going to have a heck of a time playing through guys that all bring what he does but more.

So true.  Lind is a nothing burger.  When is he moved to the ex-Canuck thread?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This is one draft pick I believe Benning missed. The very next pick was Nicolas Hague. He's already playing decent minutes with Vegas. It would be real easy to imagine a pairing of Hague with either Rathbone or Hughes. Instead, Kole Lind. Didn't show much, left unprotected, now gone. We wouldn't need to worry if Hamonic will return if Hague had been the pick. Oh well, I'm sure pretty much every GM, past and present, has a few picks they'd love to have a "do over" on.

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd have preferred Seattle to have taken Holtby,

at least with us hanging onto to Holtby we have some added security in net should Demko get hurt and a nice trade chip for the trade deadline this coming season but yes, that 4 million in spending money would have been nice to round out the roster this offseason

4 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

at least with us hanging onto to Holtby we have some added security in net should Demko get hurt and a nice trade chip for the trade deadline this coming season but yes, that 4 million in spending money would have been nice to round out the roster this offseason

I figure he'll be gone this offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if a team trades for him tbh. He's got one year remaining, even at 4m that's pretty low commitment. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

With Lind being a RFA does he qualify to be waived to go down to the minors or is he free to move up and down?

Lind must clear waivers to be sent down.  He will not be a Krackhead in October.  He will get picked off waivers.  Stupid Francis the Talking Mule will lose a lot of guys this way.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Lind must clear waivers to be sent down.  He will not be a Krackhead in October.  He will get picked off waivers.  Stupid Francis the Talking Mule will lose a lot of guys this way.  

Would Benning swoop in and take him back?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

This is one draft pick I believe Benning missed. The very next pick was Nicolas Hague. He's already playing decent minutes with Vegas. It would be real easy to imagine a pairing of Hague with either Rathbone or Hughes. Instead, Kole Lind. Didn't show much, left unprotected, now gone. We wouldn't need to worry if Hamonic will return if Hague had been the pick. Oh well, I'm sure pretty much every GM, past and present, has a few picks they'd love to have a "do over" on.

And then you'll have Gillis who will probably a do-over on almost every single pick...  :lol: Just horrendous. I've always cheered for every GM's picks, and I realize that it's not all the time that every player pans out. I get it. But when you miss entire rounds, including your top picks, that has long term consequences. We are still paying for those mistakes even today.

image.thumb.png.05e4c7131dae54dca9ce495636060c28.png

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

And then you'll have Gillis who will probably a do-over on almost every single pick...  :lol: Just horrendous. I've always cheered for every GM's picks, and I realize that it's not all the time that every player pans out. I get it. But when you miss entire rounds, including your top picks, that has long term consequences. We are still paying for those mistakes even today.

image.thumb.png.05e4c7131dae54dca9ce495636060c28.png

What a sad looking list of draftees.  One would have expected at least 1 pick per year to still be with the team.  2010 and 2011 were particularly bad.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Jamie Oleksiak is not a good fighter.

Maybe but look at hockey foghts and he fairrd well with Schenn and Maroon  and I tend to think he'd better MacEwen although I'll say this MacEwen is growing into his role