The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I will admit I may have not had exposure to seeing Lind play as some of you.  All I've seen are highlights and nothing really stood out to me except for his being in the right place all the time. 

But again, I must point out that my concern isn't so much whether he can play in the NHL.... I think he can.  But more that everyone is getting all excited when I see a middle 6 ceiling for him.

Mind you, I'm the guy who felt Horvat was a high end 2nd liner when hes likely to be a low to mid end first liner, and also saw huge upside in Boeser but wasn't sure if he could translate his success against NHL class opponents.  I didn't think Stecher would break out like he did, thought Eriksson would be a strong contributor with the Sedins and I saw little upside in Granlund.  So really, nobody should be listening to what I have to say anyway.  :)

This is why I try not make predictions. Although I feel we all do it from time to time. I honestly felt we gave up on Shink too soon, regardless of how he pans out in Calgary it doesn't really prove me wrong but it can look bad on me. Gotta take a risk on what you believe in though. 

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This is why I try not make predictions. Although I feel we all do it from time to time. I honestly felt we gave up on Shink too soon, regardless of how he pans out in Calgary it doesn't really prove me wrong but it can look bad on me. Gotta take a risk on what you believe in though. 

It's fun to try to predict players futures and be an armchair scout. Keep in mind, teams don't give up on players for no reason, moving Shink they had a plan and so far it's turned out extremely well. 

19 minutes ago, cyoung said:

It's fun to try to predict players futures and be an armchair scout. Keep in mind, teams don't give up on players for no reason, moving Shink they had a plan and so far it's turned out extremely well. 

I guess, I just feel like he would have had a better chance of succeeding here. I am not upset over it too much. Given Granny's success has been. Just curious how Shink would have turned out here, if it would have been different. I feel he would have been better here, but I guess we'll never really know. :P

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Nifty-comparable?!

I don't know if he is all that comparable, but I was responding to the comment that Lind didn't have any real high end abilities.......rather elite

Middleton just competed and his skill came out......aka he was nifty

Lind "seems" to have more skill that that, but it is way too early to tell what, if anything he will be.....but his IQ and overall talent is worth getting excited about.....but we just have to wait......not dump on him, not anoint him.........just watch and be happy for now! That is all

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know if he is all that comparable, but I was responding to the comment that Lind didn't have any real high end abilities.......rather elite

Lind "seems" to have more skill that that, but it is way too early to tell what, if anything he will be.....but his IQ and overall talent is worth getting excited about.....but we just have to wait......not dump on him, not anoint him.........just watch and be happy for now! That is all

Lind has the vision of a centre/playmaker.  Daniel Sedin?  He probably needs time in Utica, eventually.  But I think he has a bright future.  He goes back to Junior now, right?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Got a great vibe watching this kid, that 1st game in Penticton..would say JB nabbed another beaut.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

Lind has the vision of a centre/playmaker.  Daniel Sedin?  He probably needs time in Utica, eventually.  But I think he has a bright future.  He goes back to Junior now, right?

Ya he's already back there and has 8pts in 2 games. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

Lol.  I won't even let myself multiply that over a full season.  A point a game would be a very good sign, especially if the vast majority of the points are assists.

Well he was well beyond ppg last year so I don't think 100 pts is outa the question. But he's gotta put work into other areas of his game. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

https://www.straight.com/news/972256/former-vancouver-canuck-hunter-shinkaruk-dropped-waivers

When the Vancouver Canucks traded 2013 first round draft pick Hunter Shinkaruk to the Calgary Flames for Markus Granlund in February of 2016, reactions were mixed.

At the time, Shinkaruk had played well in the American Hockey League, scoring 39 points in 45 games with the Utica Comets, and was looking like a potential top-six forward for Vancouver. Granlund was scoring at a similar rate, with nine points in 12 AHL games that year, but the Flames prospect was (and still is) a year-and-a-half older, and had a second-round draft pedigree, as opposed to Shinkaruk's status as a late first rounder.  

The trade really became lopsided last year, when Granlund played the entire year with the Canucks and turned into a responsible forward who can play both centre or wing anywhere in the lineup. The Finn even spent time with the Sedins last year, putting up 32 points in 69 games and coming one goal away from hitting 20 on the year. Meanwhile, Shinkaruk spent most of the year with the AHL's Stockton Heat and didn't replicate his previous scoring exploits in the league, posting 35 points in 52 games, along with one assist in seven games with the Flames. 

Shinkaruk was outperformed and subsequently passed on the depth chart by other Flames prospects like Mark Jankowski and Morgan Klimchuk. That's the nice way of saying it. The not nice way is mentioning that he was outscored by former Canuck Linden Vey, who never felt like an NHLer. Vey spent last season with the Heat but will be playing in the KHL this year (maybe we'll see him representing Canada in the Olympics). 

So, the Flames were set on dropping Shinkaruk to their AHL roster once again this season. Only one problem: Shinkaruk is now at the age where he requires to be put on waivers (where any team can claim him) to play in the AHL. Putting a player on waivers is a big sign that a team is ready to move on from said player. 

Right now, as it stands, the Shinkaruk-Granlund deal is the best trade Benning has made for the Canucks.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

https://www.straight.com/news/972256/former-vancouver-canuck-hunter-shinkaruk-dropped-waivers

When the Vancouver Canucks traded 2013 first round draft pick Hunter Shinkaruk to the Calgary Flames for Markus Granlund in February of 2016, reactions were mixed.

At the time, Shinkaruk had played well in the American Hockey League, scoring 39 points in 45 games with the Utica Comets, and was looking like a potential top-six forward for Vancouver. Granlund was scoring at a similar rate, with nine points in 12 AHL games that year, but the Flames prospect was (and still is) a year-and-a-half older, and had a second-round draft pedigree, as opposed to Shinkaruk's status as a late first rounder.  

The trade really became lopsided last year, when Granlund played the entire year with the Canucks and turned into a responsible forward who can play both centre or wing anywhere in the lineup. The Finn even spent time with the Sedins last year, putting up 32 points in 69 games and coming one goal away from hitting 20 on the year. Meanwhile, Shinkaruk spent most of the year with the AHL's Stockton Heat and didn't replicate his previous scoring exploits in the league, posting 35 points in 52 games, along with one assist in seven games with the Flames. 

Shinkaruk was outperformed and subsequently passed on the depth chart by other Flames prospects like Mark Jankowski and Morgan Klimchuk. That's the nice way of saying it. The not nice way is mentioning that he was outscored by former Canuck Linden Vey, who never felt like an NHLer. Vey spent last season with the Heat but will be playing in the KHL this year (maybe we'll see him representing Canada in the Olympics). 

So, the Flames were set on dropping Shinkaruk to their AHL roster once again this season. Only one problem: Shinkaruk is now at the age where he requires to be put on waivers (where any team can claim him) to play in the AHL. Putting a player on waivers is a big sign that a team is ready to move on from said player. 

Right now, as it stands, the Shinkaruk-Granlund deal is the best trade Benning has made for the Canucks.

I think the Baerstchi trade is the best for me. 2nd rounder for a top 6 winger. Albeit on a bad team. Also I just really like Baercheese. :P