The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

15 minutes ago, Get real canuck fans said:

Something like power go out in the Kelowna game? Seems to be stuck at 6 minutes in 1st period for 2 hours on every site I see

According to the Tri City Twitter, there is an internet outage in their area

edit: I would post the tweets, but I have no idea how to embed them :unsure: Looks like Tri-City won 4-3 in OT

Edited by Mr53
  • Upvote 2

Stoked that I will be at the game tomorrow when Kole Lind’s Rockets will play against my local team the Royals! I will be keeping an close eye on Kole Lind and also want to watch the battle of Lind vs. Philips. Matthew Philips of the Royal (Flames draft pick from 2016) is off to a fantastic start as well with 34 pts in 17 GP which gives him 2.0 PPG at the WHL level in his D+2 year. This could be a future Canucks vs. Flames battle too! Will be exciting and I hope Lind prevails (i have no loyalty to junior league team, i cheer for different junior league teams base on which team has the best potential Canucks prospect and right now it is the Kelowna Rockets :P)

Edited by ruilin96
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Stoked that I will be at the game tomorrow when Kole Lind’s Rockets will play against my local team the Royals! I will be keeping an close eye on Kole Lind and also want to watch the battle of Lind vs. Philips. Matthew Philips of the Royal (Flames draft pick from 2016) is off to a fantastic start as well with 34 pts in 17 GP which gives him 2.0 PPG at the WHL level in his D+2 year. This could be a future Canucks vs. Flames battle too! Will be exciting and I hope Lind prevails (i have no loyalty to junior league team, i cheer for different junior league teams base on which team has the best potential Canucks prospect and right now it is the Kelowna Rockets :P)

That's awesome!  

What's the Royals' arena like?  I've been through your beautiful city many times but never caught a sporting event there.

So, I was looking at stats on Lind and took a gander at the WHL player stats, thinking that Lind must be at the top of the WHL.  

Almost.

In fact, the top player is Tyler Steenbergen, who has 35 point in only 13 games.  Impressive.  But then I noticed he got 90 points last season in 72 games which is right around the same pace that Lind was scoring last season.  So far, it looks like Steenbergen has exceeded Lind's progression.  But here's the kicker.  If I remember correctly, Benning was surprised Lind was still available at 33rd OA.  Yet, Steenbergen was drafted in the FIFTH round by the Coyotes - 128th OA.  

Almost seems like we missed an obvious opportunity here.  Even if Steenbergen was to be on pace with Lind, it looks like he would have been a steal in even the third round. 

Then there is Matthew Phillips, who was probably deemed too small but also had excellent stats and is now in 2nd place WHL scoring.  He went in the 6th round.

Food for thought anyway.

Edited by kloubek

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

So, I was looking at stats on Lind and took a gander at the WHL player stats, thinking that Lind must be at the top of the WHL.  

Almost.

In fact, the top player is Tyler Steenbergen, who has 35 point in only 13 games.  Impressive.  But then I noticed he got 90 points last season in 72 games which is right around the same pace that Lind was scoring last season.  So far, it looks like Steenbergen has exceeded Lind's progression.  But here's the kicker.  If I remember correctly, Benning was surprised Lind was still available at 33rd OA.  Yet, Steenbergen was drafted in the FIFTH round by the Coyotes - 128th OA.  

Almost seems like we missed an obvious opportunity here.  Even if Steenbergen was to be on pace with Lind, it looks like he would have been a steal in even the third round. 

Then there is Matthew Phillips, who was probably deemed too small but also had excellent stats and is now in 2nd place WHL scoring.  He went in the 6th round.

Food for thought anyway.

Steenbergen is an overager. He turns 20 in January.

Philips was also drafted in 2016.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Steenbergen is an overager. He turns 20 in January.

Philips was also drafted in 2016.

Both Steenbergen and Phillips are 98' born just like Lind.  Lind was just drafted a year later because he is born just after the cutoff date in Oct.

The only difference is that this is Steenbergen's 4th full year in the WHL vs the 3rd full year for Phillips and LInd.

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Both Steenbergen and Phillips are 98' born just like Lind.  Lind was just drafted a year later because he is born just after the cutoff date in Oct.

The only difference is that this is Steenbergen's 4th full year in the WHL vs the 3rd full year for Phillips and LInd.

He was still eligible for the 2016 draft though. So my statement still stands.

I think his improved play is partially due to playing with Aleski Heponiemi, who was drafted in the 2nd round(40th) in 2017.

That said Steenbergen's best traits are his shot and skating so if he can build on that it could translate well pro.

I believe that Lind is a better prospect though. 

• Upvote 1