The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

No he won't get paid what he's worth up or down. If he's locked into his ELC he'll get paid less for longer than he's worth.  If he breaks out like Boeser this year or Barzal the diffetence will be millions of dollars. Virtanen is still a healthy scratch sometimes and even he will make more next year when his ELC expires than he would have if it slid one more year. 

What signing his contract in 2018 vs 2017 (he turns 20 in 2018) does is makes him free agent earlier. Hence he makes more money sooner.

What it also does is takes his waiver eligibility from 5 years to 3 years. Meaning Canucks won't be able to waive him to Utica for as long without him getting claimed, meaning he'll make NHL money 900k vs AHL money approx 100k.

The fact his agent orchestrated this means it's NOT a moot point. 

You are waaaay overthinking this.   You assume that Lind is an NHL player first and foremost and second that he will be good enough to be better than ELC pays or worse than his first non-ELC contract pays.   Too many variables.   It is indeed moot as until he makes the NHL, it will be a nice problem to have if he is better than he current projects and if worse he will never sign that second contract anyway.    

Anyway, continue to worry about it if that is important to you.

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

When the heck did Horvat ever get 60 points?  The best he has done is 52. 

Pittsburg was much more than a 'good team', they were. and maybe still are an elite team - how else would you describe a team that goes multiple times to the final? And winning several times?  Last year Crosby had 89 points and Malkin 72 - if Horvat was on that team, where would he be?  First line?  Second line?  Oh yeah, third line on a team that wins Stanley Cups. 

What the hell has Backstrom ever won outside the regular season?  He has never won a Stanley cup, nor even been close,  Getzlaf WAS a very good center - WAS, but the year they won, he was not the top center on his team, Andy McDonald was - but the reason they won was on the blue line - Pronger and Neidermeyer - they had two of the very best D in the league.

Oh, by the way, getting back to Horvat's 52 points last year:  

2017 Points fromm the middle:
Edmonton: McDavid 100, Draisaitl 77, Eberle 51
Minnesota: Staal 65, Koivu 58, Coyle 56
Pittsburg: Crosby 89, Malkin 72, I guess Horvat's 52 would put him about here.
San Jose: Pavelski 68, Couturier 52, Thornton 50
Toronto; Matthews 69, Kadri 61, Marner 61 (Bozak 55)

That positions him right in their for third line.

See the flaw in YOUR argument?  Like many in Vancouver, you seriously over-rate our players - it is just like when Toronto had crap teams, but the leafs fans raved about their players - like Sundin - well, we saw what he was about when he got here - a sausage in a skin way too tight.  We are 4th from the bottom of the league - and that is after adding a likely Calder runner-up.  We just lost to a team ranked lower than us, and we are healthy, 4 to zip. Calling Horvat a number one center (and many have even referred to him as a future captain), is just not realistic - Horvat hasn't really done anything to deserve that yet.  I'd like to think he might, but putting a weight of expectation like that on a soon to be 23 year old kid, is just not right and not fair.

This type of posts are why we need one neg a day....

3 hours ago, nowhereman said:

So because Bo Horvat would be the third best center on a team with a generational superstar and one of the best Russians in history, that makes him a third line center?

Hmm, well, if Malkin is playing on the second line because he's not as good as Crosby, does that make him a second line center?

Last season, Bo Horvat was 41st in production from centers. If he's top 60 amongst all of the centers in the NHL, wouldn't that make him a top six player?  

Me thinks you might need to revisit your "logic" there, pal.  

ok

so it's raining out, coolish, and i'm stuck inside (well chose to not go out)

so maybe i'll stir the pot a little :P

everyone is right !!  congrats

when you look at bo over the past 2 seasons it is somewhat clear (though we do not have a complete record from this season, but the trend is present)

in the first half of the season bo is a #1 center.. he might not be elite but he fits the description, and his stats support this

in the second half of the season, bo is a 3rd line center, as his production dips noticeably as the better teams key on him, and his stats are remarkably worse then his 1st half production

so have a beer everyone

toast your overall correctness :wub:

Watched Lind play for the first time live this year on Wednesday in Lethbridge, compared to the few times I watched him play last year his commitment to the D Zone is much improved. He still takes the odd shift off, but he’s young. He had 2 goals and 1 assist. Including the ot winner. Offensive zone abilities are very impressive. If he can learn to play hard every shift he should make Team Canada next World Jr. 

2 minutes ago, John McClane said:

Watched Lind play for the first time live this year on Wednesday in Lethbridge, compared to the few times I watched him play last year his commitment to the D Zone is much improved. He still takes the odd shift off, but he’s young. He had 2 goals and 1 assist. Including the ot winner. Offensive zone abilities are very impressive. If he can learn to play hard every shift he should make Team Canada next World Jr. 

He will be ineligible next U-20 championships. Born Oct 1988.

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You are waaaay overthinking this.   You assume that Lind is an NHL player first and foremost and second that he will be good enough to be better than ELC pays or worse than his first non-ELC contract pays.   Too many variables.   It is indeed moot as until he makes the NHL, it will be a nice problem to have if he is better than he current projects and if worse he will never sign that second contract anyway.    

Anyway, continue to worry about it if that is important to you.

You have no clue how the cba works. 

Not worried..  Just discussing hockey on a hockey forum. 

37 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Sorry bud. But serious.  Absolutely no clue. 

That's right.   I am agreeing with you.   I have not a clue.   Every prospect needs to sign at exactly same time or you have concern - I get that.    I also get that someone tries to explain why a prospect may choose a different route and you claim it is messing with ELC.     

One question, you ever signed an ELC?

:lol: