The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

My understanding is that the above bolded condition only applies if the Sharks try to trade him.  If they try to waive him I believe normal waiver rules apply  -  teams can claim him, in the reverse order of last season's final standings.   I don't believe we have any priority claim.

Capfriendly is showing them as having 22/23 on their roster, but have included Evander Kane and Gadjovich as non-roster.  Perhaps they are waiting for clarity on the Kane front before adding Gadj to the offical roster

CBA rules..........

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.

My understanding is that the above bolded condition only applies if the Sharks try to trade him.  If they try to waive him I believe normal waiver rules apply  -  teams can claim him, in the reverse order of last season's final standings.   I don't believe we have any priority claim.

Capfriendly is showing them as having 22/23 on their roster, but have included Evander Kane and Gadjovich as non-roster.  Perhaps they are waiting for clarity on the Kane front before adding Gadj to the offical roster

That's not correct.  If they want to assign him to the AHL, they have to waive him.  

Gadjovich is not yet in San Jose as he has to sort his visa issues so he is probably declared as a non roster player.  

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, mll said:

That's not correct.  If they want to assign him to the AHL, they have to waive him.  

Gadjovich is not yet in San Jose as he has to sort his visa issues so he is probably declared as a non roster player.  

What's not correct?   No-one was implying that he could be sent to the AHL without going thru waivers.   The issue was "Do we have first waiver claim if the Sharks try to waive him?"

And, yes, P1A visas are applied for by the employer, not the athlete.  So although Gadjovich would have had one for playing in Utica, it was obtained by the Comets, and doesn't follow him around when he moves.  So your surmise is prolly correct.

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 2

What's not correct?   No-one was implying that he could be sent to the AHL without going thru waivers.   The issue was "Do we have first waiver claim if the Sharks try to waive him?"

And, yes, P1A visas are applied for by the employer, not the athlete.  So although Gadjovich would have had one for playing in Utica, it was obtained by the Comets, and doesn't follow him around when he moves.  So your surmise is prolly correct.

Sorry misread.   Vancouver can claim him back but would need to keep him in the NHL if teams after them put in a waiver claim. 

Happened with Boucher years ago.  NJD waived him.  Nashville claimed him and waived him again.  NJD claimed him back but couldn't just send him to the AHL as they weren’t the only team to have put in a claim but had priority by standing order.  They had to put him back on waivers to send him to the AHL and Vancouver claimed him then.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Amazing….goose bumps….followed by sadness…that he was ours….this is what we need.

My sentiments also...would love to have the Gadjovich truculence in the Canucks line up.  Only surprise to me was that Hathaway didn't spit at Jonah after the fight was over.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

My sentiments also...would love to have the Gadjovich truculence in the Canucks line up.  Only surprise to me was that Hathaway didn't spit at Jonah after the fight was over.

Right I forgot about that lol. He was dirty all game when we played them too. I wouldn’t say Gadj whomped him. But glad to see someone not put up with his antics.

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

What was it that Hathaway did against us?  Even though those games weren't that long ago, my head has been in such a blur these last few months that I'm having trouble remembering what I even had for lunch!  :blink:

I feel like it was motte he elbowed in the face…I’m blurry too lol. He had them up most of that game and I took note of who the POS was. Glad he got muscled around by Gadj

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...