The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

23 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

He didn't show up on the scoresheet but last night was by far the best game from Gadjovich as a pro.  It was the first game this season for Wacey Hamilton after suffering a concussion in preseason and the line of Gadjovich - Hamilton - Bancks was magic all night.  I've criticized Wacey Hamilton in the past for all of the bad penalties he takes but he along with Carter Bancks are the prototypical 4th line that works every shift and are a pain in the ass to play against.  It's when they are asked to play up in the lineup and do too much that they are not effective.

Gaunce cut his teeth as a pro playing on a line with Hamilton and Bancks and benefited from it. Gadjovich was the most notable he has been all year playing tough grind it out hockey.  He will learn from those two that you have to play hard every shift that you are on the ice and always be hard to play against.

Gadjo is currently playing/finding his way at the next level as a “grind-it-out” 4th liner?

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The 4th line in the AHL is a long ways from one in the NHL. 

Best of luck to him. 

what does putting him in an offensive role in the ahl do for his development as a grinding 4th liner?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, tas said:

what does putting him in an offensive role in the ahl do for his development as a grinding 4th liner?

Exactly!  JB drafts bpa in round one, then (if there is not a potential elite forward or D in round two) he drafts for purpose.  JG was drafted for a purpose, which is to make our bottom six harder, and tougher to play against, while still having the skills to score.

Just now, tas said:

I don’t know. I could ask about the ECHL and a scoring role somewhere. 

What development is needed for his game exactly?

let him work himself up the roster. I’m all for it, but if I’m being honest, I’m not liking the pick today, considering he is/was physically mature enough to compete for any position.

If a grinding 4th line role is something he’s good at in the AHL, I’m still left wondering his trajectory, given he was the high-profile muscle/toughness of the pool/draft. 

They need this guy to be a success. 

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I don’t know. I could ask about the ECHL and a scoring role somewhere. 

What development is needed for his game exactly?

let him work himself up the roster. I’m all for it, but if I’m being honest, I’m not liking the pick today, considering he is/was physically mature enough to compete for any position.

If a grinding 4th line role is something he’s good at in the AHL, I’m still left wondering his trajectory, given he was the high-profile muscle/toughness of the pool/draft. 

They need this guy to be a success. 

no they don't. he's a 2nd round pick and well down the depth chart. if he misses, he misses. 

that said, the development he needs to do is learning how to be a professional hockey player playing against other adult male professional hockey players. being over 6' and 200lbs in junior makes you physically dominant -- in junior -- but doesn't mean you're "physically mature" enough to dominate the next level. he went from being one of the few guys with his size and strength to being one of every guy in the league who has his size and strength. it's up to him to adapt and learn how to play at the ahl level, and maybe one day the nhl level. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  JB drafts bpa in round one, then (if there is not a potential elite forward or D in round two) he drafts for purpose.  JG was drafted for a purpose, which is to make our bottom six harder, and tougher to play against, while still having the skills to score.

It’s his draft position and my expectations for the kid that I’m following up on. 

He’s getting a little old to be a brute who is trying to impress as a 4th liner.

I agree and liked the pick, but do you think this guy is going to make the NHL at this pace?

Should we be spending 2nd rounders on 4th liners, as this is the current trajectory, at best? 

My comments are based solely on my surprise that this is the curve I find one of my favourite picks to be trending. I have no doubt of his compete or battle levels. He’s built like a brick. It leaves the skill and IQ aspects of the game. 

Hopefully some of you will speak to his progress and trajectory as it relates to a future role on the Canucks. I’m not in a rush to see him in the NHL, but I do expect him to be an impact player in the A by now, or by year end. 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s his draft position and my expectations for the kid that I’m following up on. 

He’s getting a little old to be a brute who is trying to impress as a 4th liner.

I agree and liked the pick, but do you think this guy is going to make the NHL at this pace?

Should we be spending 2nd rounders on 4th liners, as this is the current trajectory, at best? 

My comments are based solely on my surprise that this is the curve I find one of my favourite picks to be trending. I have no doubt of his compete or battle levels. He’s built like a brick. It leaves the skill and IQ aspects of the game. 

Hopefully some of you will speak to his progress and trajectory as it relates to a future role on the Canucks. I’m not in a rush to see him in the NHL, but I do expect him to be an impact player in the A by now, or by year end. 

When I saw the pick, and then noticed how physically mature JG was already, I had concerns.  In junior he was (physically) a man amongst boys.  He was already fully matured, so I thought he might not get much stronger.  Although, for the role he was drafted to fill, he needed to be physically ready to play in the A against men, or he would get killed.  That’s why I believe JB drafted JG for a specific purpose.  The baby faced Lind, who was (and still is) maturing physically we took already, and JB didn’t see elite potential in any of the other baby faces.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Fair.

What do you project for the kid as you seem to be an authority on these matters?

I haven't watched him play much at all, but common sense says that he likely tops out as a bottom 6 nhl forward, and there's no guarantee he gets there. 

• Upvote 1

Wow.  How quickly so many write of Lind and Gadjovich.  Burrows and Kesler both were fourth line grinders in the AHL for a season till they ‘got it’.  Then they were bottom sixes in the nhl.  If you are not a Pettersson or a Boeser, grinding is going to be a big part of your game in the nhl, even on the first two lines - just as it was with Burrows and Kesler throughout their very successful careers - just like it is still a major component of Horvat’s game.  A grinding game is not an end, it is a part of the package of most nhl players - even many of the best - think Toews, Getzlaff, etc.  Way too early to project where Lind and Gadjovich will end up as nhl players.  Both of Gadjovich are still making the transition, physically, into manhood.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

3 hours ago, tas said:

...getting a little old? ...at this pace? ...by now? he's 2 and a half months into his first season of being allowed to play professional hockey. 2 and a half months ago he was a teenager. 

So much this ^^^^!

2.5 months of spending a fair bit of time scratched as well. How about we wait a year or two before making any firm predictions on his trajectory or ceiling?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

Next year will be a big year for Lind, Gadj, Palmu, Jasek, Dahlen, this year is really a feeling out process to see where they are and what needs work 

I don't think your list matches your comment.  At least one is a Canuck next year.  Dahlen or Jasek or both.  Honestly Jasek would outplay several bottom 6 Canucks this year.  Dahlens challenge is he is a top 6 forward and not quite quick or strong enough