suitup

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

25 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Way to go Jonah! 

First of many to come I hope!

Well.. He has finally got his feet wet; lets hope he can swim:)

• Upvote 1

Nothing against Gadjovich but its insane the amount of prospect depth we have that he's probably dropped to our 15th best propect. It wasn't that long ago that a similarly leveled player in Cassels was our 3rd-4th best prospect. I'd probably rank them:

Hughes

Gaudette

Tryamkin

Joulevi

Demko

Dahlen

Rathbone

Madden

Jasek

Lockwood

Lind

Woo

Dipietro

Palmu

Gadjo

14 hours ago, AK_19 said:

Nothing against Gadjovich but its insane the amount of prospect depth we have that he's probably dropped to our 15th best propect. It wasn't that long ago that a similarly leveled player in Cassels was our 3rd-4th best prospect. I'd probably rank them:

Hughes

Gaudette

Tryamkin

Joulevi

Demko

Dahlen

Rathbone

Madden

Jasek

Lockwood

Lind

Woo

Dipietro

Palmu

Gadjo

Wow people are really being hard on guys that are stepping up into the next level. I realize we haven't had many quality prospects turn pro in the last 10 years but its no easy step from junior leagues to the pros no matter how well Boeser and Pettersson did it.

Give Lind, Dahlen, Palmu and Gadjovich time to develop and they could all play in our top 9 in the future.

Hughes

Juolevi

Demko

Gaudette

DiPietro

Dahlen

Lind

Woo

MacEwen

Gadj

Rathbone

Palmu

Madden

Jasek

Lockwood

• Upvote 1

Hey Rob!  @Rob_Zepp

Top of the season.  Have you had a chance to watch Gadgy play? Are the reports on CDC proclaiming doomsday with Gadjovich a fact waiting to happen?

Edited by Canuck Surfer

On 12/26/2018 at 12:09 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

Hey Rob!  @Rob_Zepp

Top of the season.  Have you had a chance to watch Gadgy play? Are the reports on CDC proclaiming doomsday with Gadjovich a fact waiting to happen?

Doomsday?   Why on earth that?   He has had some bumps in his transition to professional hockey but 90% plus kids do that too.   I think too many people who live most of their lives on a couch seem to think they are experts on how professional hockey players develop.   In the real world, kids take some time and it is by far the rarer kid who comes straight into professional hockey and dominates and even those kids often regress.    Until any of these kids are 21 to 24, it is impossible to know what they will ultimately be and to make doomsday proclamations when they are in their first year as pros is just silly.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

He didn't show up on the scoresheet but last night was by far the best game from Gadjovich as a pro.  It was the first game this season for Wacey Hamilton after suffering a concussion in preseason and the line of Gadjovich - Hamilton - Bancks was magic all night.  I've criticized Wacey Hamilton in the past for all of the bad penalties he takes but he along with Carter Bancks are the prototypical 4th line that works every shift and are a pain in the ass to play against.  It's when they are asked to play up in the lineup and do too much that they are not effective.

Gaunce cut his teeth as a pro playing on a line with Hamilton and Bancks and benefited from it. Gadjovich was the most notable he has been all year playing tough grind it out hockey.  He will learn from those two that you have to play hard every shift that you are on the ice and always be hard to play against.

Gadjo is currently playing/finding his way at the next level as a “grind-it-out” 4th liner?

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Gadjo is currently playing/finding his way at the next level as a “grind-it-out” 4th liner?

well, it is the role he's most likely to find nhl success in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

well, it is the role he's most likely to find nhl success in. 

The 4th line in the AHL is a long ways from one in the NHL. 

Best of luck to him. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The 4th line in the AHL is a long ways from one in the NHL. 

Best of luck to him. 

what does putting him in an offensive role in the ahl do for his development as a grinding 4th liner?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, tas said:

what does putting him in an offensive role in the ahl do for his development as a grinding 4th liner?

Exactly!  JB drafts bpa in round one, then (if there is not a potential elite forward or D in round two) he drafts for purpose.  JG was drafted for a purpose, which is to make our bottom six harder, and tougher to play against, while still having the skills to score.

Just now, tas said:

I don’t know. I could ask about the ECHL and a scoring role somewhere. 

What development is needed for his game exactly?

let him work himself up the roster. I’m all for it, but if I’m being honest, I’m not liking the pick today, considering he is/was physically mature enough to compete for any position.

If a grinding 4th line role is something he’s good at in the AHL, I’m still left wondering his trajectory, given he was the high-profile muscle/toughness of the pool/draft. 

They need this guy to be a success. 

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I don’t know. I could ask about the ECHL and a scoring role somewhere. 

What development is needed for his game exactly?

let him work himself up the roster. I’m all for it, but if I’m being honest, I’m not liking the pick today, considering he is/was physically mature enough to compete for any position.

If a grinding 4th line role is something he’s good at in the AHL, I’m still left wondering his trajectory, given he was the high-profile muscle/toughness of the pool/draft. 

They need this guy to be a success. 

no they don't. he's a 2nd round pick and well down the depth chart. if he misses, he misses. 

that said, the development he needs to do is learning how to be a professional hockey player playing against other adult male professional hockey players. being over 6' and 200lbs in junior makes you physically dominant -- in junior -- but doesn't mean you're "physically mature" enough to dominate the next level. he went from being one of the few guys with his size and strength to being one of every guy in the league who has his size and strength. it's up to him to adapt and learn how to play at the ahl level, and maybe one day the nhl level. 

Edited by tas
  • Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  JB drafts bpa in round one, then (if there is not a potential elite forward or D in round two) he drafts for purpose.  JG was drafted for a purpose, which is to make our bottom six harder, and tougher to play against, while still having the skills to score.

It’s his draft position and my expectations for the kid that I’m following up on. 

He’s getting a little old to be a brute who is trying to impress as a 4th liner.

I agree and liked the pick, but do you think this guy is going to make the NHL at this pace?

Should we be spending 2nd rounders on 4th liners, as this is the current trajectory, at best? 

My comments are based solely on my surprise that this is the curve I find one of my favourite picks to be trending. I have no doubt of his compete or battle levels. He’s built like a brick. It leaves the skill and IQ aspects of the game. 

Hopefully some of you will speak to his progress and trajectory as it relates to a future role on the Canucks. I’m not in a rush to see him in the NHL, but I do expect him to be an impact player in the A by now, or by year end. 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s his draft position and my expectations for the kid that I’m following up on. 

He’s getting a little old to be a brute who is trying to impress as a 4th liner.

I agree and liked the pick, but do you think this guy is going to make the NHL at this pace?

Should we be spending 2nd rounders on 4th liners, as this is the current trajectory, at best? 

My comments are based solely on my surprise that this is the curve I find one of my favourite picks to be trending. I have no doubt of his compete or battle levels. He’s built like a brick. It leaves the skill and IQ aspects of the game. 

Hopefully some of you will speak to his progress and trajectory as it relates to a future role on the Canucks. I’m not in a rush to see him in the NHL, but I do expect him to be an impact player in the A by now, or by year end. 

When I saw the pick, and then noticed how physically mature JG was already, I had concerns.  In junior he was (physically) a man amongst boys.  He was already fully matured, so I thought he might not get much stronger.  Although, for the role he was drafted to fill, he needed to be physically ready to play in the A against men, or he would get killed.  That’s why I believe JB drafted JG for a specific purpose.  The baby faced Lind, who was (and still is) maturing physically we took already, and JB didn’t see elite potential in any of the other baby faces.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, tas said:

...getting a little old? ...at this pace? ...by now? he's 2 and a half months into his first season of being allowed to play professional hockey. 2 and a half months ago he was a teenager. 

Fair.

What do you project for the kid as you seem to be an authority on these matters?