The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

12 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s his draft position and my expectations for the kid that I’m following up on. 

He’s getting a little old to be a brute who is trying to impress as a 4th liner.

I agree and liked the pick, but do you think this guy is going to make the NHL at this pace?

Should we be spending 2nd rounders on 4th liners, as this is the current trajectory, at best? 

My comments are based solely on my surprise that this is the curve I find one of my favourite picks to be trending. I have no doubt of his compete or battle levels. He’s built like a brick. It leaves the skill and IQ aspects of the game. 

Hopefully some of you will speak to his progress and trajectory as it relates to a future role on the Canucks. I’m not in a rush to see him in the NHL, but I do expect him to be an impact player in the A by now, or by year end. 

“He’s getting a little old to be a brute who is trying to impress as a 4th liner.”  Are you joking?  He just turned 20 two months ago, he could still be playing junior, for Pete’s sake!  He is in his first year of pro hockey, in fact he has only just played his 20th minor pro game.  It is way too soon to relegate him to anything, least of all the fourth line.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

22 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s his draft position and my expectations for the kid that I’m following up on. 

He’s getting a little old to be a brute who is trying to impress as a 4th liner.

I agree and liked the pick, but do you think this guy is going to make the NHL at this pace?

Should we be spending 2nd rounders on 4th liners, as this is the current trajectory, at best? 

My comments are based solely on my surprise that this is the curve I find one of my favourite picks to be trending. I have no doubt of his compete or battle levels. He’s built like a brick. It leaves the skill and IQ aspects of the game. 

Hopefully some of you will speak to his progress and trajectory as it relates to a future role on the Canucks. I’m not in a rush to see him in the NHL, but I do expect him to be an impact player in the A by now, or by year end. 

You understand that on average only 28% of players drafted in the 2nd round only get to play 1 game in the NHL let alone be an impact player? It’s roughly around a18% for a player to play 200 NHL games. So if Gadjovic or Lind get any NHL time consider that a success. 

22 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You understand that on average only 28% of players drafted in the 2nd round only get to play 1 game in the NHL let alone be an impact player? It’s roughly around a18% for a player to play 200 NHL games. So if Gadjovic or Lind get any NHL time consider that a success. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

I think that the 28% refers to players who play 100 games plus. ( ? ) Did a quick one decade average ( 2000-2009 ), 63% of 2nd rounders played one game or more !

40 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

The higher the pick, the higher the % chance of that player being an NHL contributor, right?  Makes sense.  I think ,that’s why JB drafts for purpose, outside of round one, when there is not a guy (who JB believes) can be a top player.  Gads was selected for the purpose of being an NHL bottom six grinder, who pots a few goals here and there.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The higher the pick, the higher the % chance of that player being an NHL contributor, right?  Makes sense.  I think ,that’s why JB drafts for purpose, outside of round one, when there is not a guy (who JB believes) can be a top player.  Gads was selected for the purpose of being an NHL bottom six grinder, who pots a few goals here and there.  

You hear about his development so far as a grinder and he's doing a good job as well. I expect many of our prospects to take a big step in the new year and Utica push very hard for a playoff spot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

I think that the 28% refers to players who play 100 games plus. ( ? ) Did a quick one decade average ( 2000-2009 ), 63% of 2nd rounders played one game or more !

Yes you’re right. I read that backwards this am. 48% play a game, 28% play 100 games, 18% play over 200 games

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Yes you’re right. I read that backwards this am. 48% play a game, 28% play 100 games, 18% play over 200 games

That's a good stat

Shows some high draft picks are not use to being role players after they leave junior

There are only so many spots on a team, some only know of being alpha dogs, plus as they physically and emotionally mature (or don't) things change

Look at World Jr Teams as an example

They are all stars, on their junior teams, but not everyone can play on the 1st line

On 12/31/2018 at 9:11 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

“He’s getting a little old to be a brute who is trying to impress as a 4th liner.”  Are you joking?  He just turned 20 two months ago, he could still be playing junior, for Pete’s sake!  He is in his first year of pro hockey, in fact he has only just played his 20th minor pro game.  It is way too soon to relegate him to anything, least of all the fourth line.

Is it? 

Its fine guys. Shoot the messenger daring enough to ask questions or comment on a prospect’s progress. I’m expressing my thoughts, somewhat prematurely, it’s been said, but we can agree to disagree on our own projections as fans. 

For all of you bothering to defend my questioning of this kid’s trajectory, I get it and understand the pushback. 

He is one of my favourite JB picks, remember. I also wish the best for him, there’s no monopoly on that here. I even read here that I’d ‘written him off’. I’m being lectured on how players develop at different rates, physically, as I’ve read, in response to my questions or comments. Defensive crowd. 

We do this dance with the mothering of our prospects in here every year it seems. This one is like any other prospect thread barely through the first stages of its lifecycle. 

Every year, a few more prospects fall further into the back pages. Is it possible that Gadjo becomes one of them?

Has he done anything to say otherwise? That’s what I came asking. Instead, I am asked to have more patience. The one Utica poster offered the only real insight into the kid’s game and I appreciate that response over the “he’s just a kid” ones. So thanks, but no thanks to some lecture/responses. 

Being an emerging 4th-liner in Utica in 2019 isn’t what I envisioned for the kid; a well-seasoned, big, skilled winger, I’d envisiond Gadjo to be having more of an immediate impact as a pro and not a scratched ‘sub’ on a 4th in the A line, at 20. 

Perhaps it’s his precious draft position which I’ve weighted with too high of expectations for a kid who had an NHL-ready frame on draft day. I’ve nothing but time to see how this kid’s career goes, as do all of you.

To grade his development as a prospect as of today, January 1, 2019, I’m struggling to find reasons to keep him as a B prospect, not because I’m impatient, but because he’s not giving me/us anything to write about. 

Utica should make the playoffs this spring. I hope that’s when we all return here and testify to how wonderfully impactful Gadjo has been in Utica as we watch him work his way into the top 6. Awesome. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

10 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Is it? 

Its fine guys. Shoot the messenger daring enough to ask questions or comment on a prospect’s progress. I’m expressing my thoughts, somewhat prematurely, it’s been said, but we can agree to disagree on our own projections as fans. You weren't asking question, you were making assertions unwarranted by facts.  That is not being daring, that is just being irrational.

For all of you bothering to defend my questioning of this kid’s trajectory, I get it and understand the pushback. Apparently not.

He is one of my favourite JB picks, remember. I also wish the best for him, there’s no monopoly on that here. I even read here that I’d ‘written him off’. I’m being lectured on how players develop at different rates, physically, as I’ve read, in response to my questions or comments. Defensive crowd. Defensive?  Not leaping to unwarranted conclusions is not 'defensive', it is merely accepting the fact that there is not enough evidence to judge.

We do this dance with the mothering of our prospects in here every year it seems. This one is like any other prospect thread barely through the first stages of its lifecycle.Some may be mothering them, I'm not.  There is just not enough data in on many of these prospects to form definitive conclusions about their futures.  For young players like Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Brisebois, it is our first look at seeing them play against men/professionals.  After playing junior, that is a huge leap.  Even Dahlen was playing in the second tier in Sweden.

Every year, a few more prospects fall further into the back pages. Is it possible that Gadjo becomes one of them?  Sure, not becoming a regular NHL player will be the fate of most of them, so your statement is just a truism based on generalities, but that does not mean that any individual can be painted with that brush.

Has he done anything to say otherwise? That’s what I came asking. Instead, I am asked to have more patience. The one Utica poster offered the only real insight into the kid’s game and I appreciate that response over the “he’s just a kid” ones. So thanks, but no thanks to some lecture/responses. Yes, he has, actually, he has gotten better in each of his past few games - especially his last one.  If you actually watched the games and knew anything about hockey, you would already know that.

Being an emerging 4th-liner in Utica in 2019 isn’t what I envisioned for the kid; a well-seasoned, big, skilled winger, I’d envisiond Gadjo to be having more of an immediate impact as a pro and not a scratched ‘sub’ on a 4th in the A line, at 20. Wow, ignorance.  In his last game he was playing up in the lineup with a couple of veterans and had a strong game.  Too bad for Gadjovich that he disappointed your lofty expectations - fortunately the Canucks have coaches that can actually help Gadjovich make the transition to pro, and ease him into a much more difficult level without destroying his confidence.  They did the same thing with McEwan, Dahlen, McEneny, Brisbois, etc.  Guys that break in like Pettersson and Boesser are extremely unusual exceptions.  It has taken three years in the NHL to have Hutton playing a strong pro game - that is the rule, not the exception.  Take a look at the history of guys that have been great players, or at least regulars on this team, guys like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Neely (a guy we didn't have patience with), Grabner (another guy we didn't have patience with), and so on.

Perhaps it’s his precious draft position which I’ve weighted with too high of expectations for a kid who had an NHL-ready frame on draft day. I’ve nothing but time to see how this kid’s career goes, as do all of you.  I do, and most of the people of CDC do, but seems like you have already consigned him to the fourth line.

To grade his development as a prospect as of today, January 1, 2019, I’m struggling to find reasons to keep him as a B prospect, not because I’m impatient, but because he’s not giving me/us anything to write about. You are struggling to see any value in a guy that was drafted only a year ago, and is still young enough to be playing in the OHL.  Well, one thing you can remark on, is that a Canuck staff that identified guys like Boesser, Hughes, Pettersson, etc. decided that Gadjovich shouldn't be sent back to junior, but should be developed in Utica.  They did that because they think he has value, and is too advanced for junior.  Go back and look at McEwan's trajectory - he is being handled exactly the same way.  At some point this year, McEwan may get a sniff at the NHL.

Utica should make the playoffs this spring. I hope that’s when we all return here and testify to how wonderfully impactful Gadjo has been in Utica as we watch him work his way into the top 6. Awesome. Wow, big shift from a fourth line failure in your assessment.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

We could draft a kid out of a midget house league and people here would tell you to be patient he's just 18

What a dumb post. Why wouldn't we be patient with an 18 year old, no matter where he was drafted from?

It's no surprise you'd side with his stupid post. I didn't realize being patient with prospects is such a horrible thing to you. And you wonder why people can't stand you.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What's Gadz playing weight now?

I hope he has been getting stronger and adding some bulk to hit and win board battles.

I just hope he's not working on finesse stuff and aiming for a top 6 form. 

What does his speed look like now?

I met him and got a photo. We are about the same height, I am 230lbs but I looked about 70lbs heavier. He is surprisingly skinny. That said - I would say he is maybe 200lbs. He was wearing a suit so he might be shredded but definitely doesn't have the overall bulk I expected. When I walked by Mattias Ohlund in Yaletown (and this was after he retired I think) I felt like I was half his width haha. 

Google imaging him it looks like there is a massive variance in his size. He looks like a dude who can pack on muscle but loses it like crazy when he has to do a lot of cardio. 

He was more like this:
image.png.c71680426a3ca1f11027b81d28eb7d4e.png

Than this:
image.png.e85bf8d568b286a1b455a62f8ed2785a.png

Edited by canucklehead44

44 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Gadjovich has really got to improve his skating. It will hold him back at the highest level if he doesn't. I hope he has Bo's drive to improve it. 

With slower footspeed and a hard nosed reputation. I think they should mold him towards a strong 3rd liner. Work on his skating add muscle, 

Like a Chris Higgins style. A solid 3rd liner would be great and totally necessary in the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

With slower footspeed and a hard nosed reputation. I think they should mold him towards a strong 3rd liner. Work on his skating add muscle, 

Like a Chris Higgins style. A solid 3rd liner would be great and totally necessary in the playoffs.

His skating will determine whether he is a 3rd or 4th line player. 

Edited by Darkstar
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

What am I even being called out on?  Nothing I said even has to do with Gadjo and his play,personally.

All I'm saying is people are allowed to project a players future on a hockey discussion forum, just like a scout would project.  We can make proposals, demand a player be benched, traded, waived etc but we can't say what we think might happen to one of the players we draft?   Why?

It's okay, but I think people are just sick of your general negativity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Darkstar said:

His skating will determine whether he is a 3rd or 4th line player. 

His skating may determine whether he's an NHL'er or not.

That said as has been noted here already, it's WAY too early to be declaring anything about his trajectory or ceiling.

My guess would be that he's a 3rd or 4th liner at the NHL level in a few years but it's extremely early days and his development could go any which way at this point. I'd be no more or less surprised to see him develop to a 2nd line guy than I would to see him peak in the AHL/Europe.