The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

Even in a bottom-6 role, players with size and hands is still valuable even if they can't skate very well.

Pat Maroon isn't the best skater but his hands and clutch play have helped him become a playoff performer.  
Hopefully Jonah could at least be a physical presence who can pot a couple goals a season, if not more.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jake is pulling a disappearing act like Kenin's. Kenin's disappeared right out of the league. Jake and his fly bys.

My 5 year old daughter used to play soccer and would wave at me as she ran by. Reminds me of Jake's intensity. 

I think it more about focus, but yes, similar effect being described. Jake: time to start the game: oh look! A butterfly! If there was a way to teach focus, Jake could be salvaged as a hockey player. Of course, if there is one thing subject entirely to free will, it is the choice (more precisely, the act) of focusing the mind - it is purely an act of volition - only you can focus your mind. 

There was a wonderful experiment done by the Canadian/American neurosurgeon, Dr. Wilder Penfield. He used a probe to stimulate the surface of the brain of people who were awake - usually epileptics, if memory serves, with the object of finding a treatment for their condition. One person, when stimulated, moved her arm, he asked what she was experiencing: “You’re making me move my arm!” she replied, illustrating part of the subjective difference between an act of volition, and an automatic stimulus/response action.

Now, if someone can get Jake to focus (his attention to the action of the game) we could get what we hoped for when he was drafted. This, of course, is not a situation limited to Jake, everyone that I know of, to varying degrees, has a limit to the extent to which they can focus - including the fact that there are things that we have no interest in focusing on. Maybe there is a sport’s psychologist that deals with such things. Of course, that would only be of value if It was something Jake desired. It reminds me of the old saw asked of a California psychologist: “How do you change a lightbulb?” Answer: “First,, it has to want to change.” 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think it more about focus, but yes, similar effect being described. Jake: time to start the game: oh look! A butterfly! If there was a way to teach focus, Jake could be salvaged as a hockey player. Of course, if there is one thing subject entirely to free will, it is the choice (more precisely, the act) of focusing the mind - it is purely an act of volition - only you can focus your mind. 

There was a wonderful experiment done by the Canadian/American neurosurgeon, Dr. Wilder Penfield. He used a probe to stimulate the surface of the brain of people who were awake - usually epileptics, if memory serves, with the object of finding a treatment for their condition. One person, when stimulated, moved her arm, he asked what she was experiencing: “You’re making me move my arm!” she replied, illustrating part of the subjective difference between an act of volition, and an automatic stimulus/response action.

Now, if someone can get Jake to focus (his attention to the action of the game) we could get what we hoped for when he was drafted. This, of course, is not a situation limited to Jake, everyone that I know of, to varying degrees, has a limit to the extent to which they can focus - including the fact that there are things that we have no interest in focusing on. Maybe there is a sport’s psychologist that deals with such things. Of course, that would only be of value if It was something Jake desired. It reminds me of the old saw asked of a California psychologist: “How do you change a lightbulb?” Answer: “First,, it has to want to change.” 

Maybe Demko can use Jake in his thesis. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Focht, Gadjovich, Lind, and Jasek all showing progress this year. What the Comets need is a great left D prospect... like Rathbone wasting away on the taxi squad six layers deep behind more experienced D’s.

Rathbone will be in the lineup for Utica’s next game. They should pair him with Woo. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1