The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

The last few pieces this team needs (besides a couple top 4 D men) are some powerforwards who can create time and space for the skilled guys.

Guys like Miller and Horvat do their best but nothing can replace those 6’3”-6’4” 220+lb guys who draw defenders to the net.

Guys like Gadjovich and Podkolzin will be worth their weight in gold if they can bring that element. Every “Naslund” needs their “Bertuzzi” and Pettersson and Boeser are no different.

Future makeup if things pan out:

Pettersson Miller Podkolzin

Gadjovich Horvat Boeser 

Thats the way our lines need to be set up. A big go to the net guy on every line. It’s how a team like Vegas has so much success.

Frees up other guys like Hoglander to play in a much more suited role:

Hoglander Lind Jasek

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

On 3/8/2021 at 3:37 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Time for what? To be mediocre? To make a mess of our cap space and lose players we wanted to keep? To end up two spots higher in the draft so we end up worse draft position? So that we can trade picks to get players to make us marginally better now, but at enormous cost to the future? Do you really enjoy watching the likes of Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Benn, Fantenberg, Vey, Kassian, Dorsett, Megna, and the like so much that you were willing to sacrifice picks, cap space, draft position, development time, in order to watch finish where they finished? How did that ‘buy us time’? It made real progress SLOWER - short run ‘solutions’ always do.

It’s like the kid who spends every nickel he makes smoking and getting drunk instead of getting an education, telling you it bought him time to improve his lot in life.

The time was obviously for youth to develop/get stronger in various leagues, rather than enter the NHL at too young an age.

Will never see rushing youth as a wise path. We'll never know for absolute certain,(can't play out two histories, for comparisons), but players like Gadj & Lind will likely have longer, more effective careers, if they start out between 21-23 yrs old, as opposed to late-teens, 20-ish beginnings.

Gadjovich scored 46 goals in Junior in only 60 games.  He was a force at 18 years old.  The one thing that was holding him back was his skating.  Looks like that has improved tremendously.  This guy could end up being a solid 20 goal power forward in the NHL.  We may need to protect him in the ED.

I like to see him play with Petey.  Gadjovich can hit and drop the gloves as well.  A true old school power forward.  Would love to see him in the lineup next year.  I think he has more potential than MacEwen to be honest.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gadjovich scored 46 goals in Junior in only 60 games.  He was a force at 18 years old.  The one thing that was holding him back was his skating.  Looks like that has improved tremendously.  This guy could end up being a solid 20 goal power forward in the NHL.  We may need to protect him in the ED.

I like to see him play with Petey.  Gadjovich can hit and drop the gloves as well.  A true old school power forward.  Would love to see him in the lineup next year.  I think he has more potential than MacEwen to be honest.

Yeah, at 18 he had one of the nicest beards I ever seen. Something tells me that his goal scoring was more due to his freakish manly physique for a teenager. And less to do with scoring talent. He's a good net presence. I dunno if he ever becomes a 15+ goal scoring guy. I don't hold much stock in goal/point totals in Junior. It's kids against kids, and some freakish manly kids take advantage of smaller kids. I love this guy, don't get me wrong. Just putting into perspective that his junior numbers could be deceiving. Played with Suzuki if I recall as well. Pretty talented player to ride shotgun with.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Thanks Sid is me, for posting this article, which I had never read before. It explains a lot. What does shine through IMO is Gillis was quiet willing to accept any blame he believed might be his fault and he endorses my perception that if nothing else he is an honourable man and unwilling to throw other under the bus to protect himself. To me that's character, I like character, I like to take a man for his word or a handshake. The fact that he spoke some times the harsh truth did not lye well with others. I think his remaining contract set him up for life. He turned to teaching at U.Vic shows he has other alternatives in life much like Linden, he didn't "need" hockey. That makes for difficult conversations with those that like to use financial muscle to bully people. He's a man that sets his own standards and some don't like that. He's certainly a person I'd enjoy having a conversation with, unfortunately some thought he was too smart for his own good

Many people forget that it was Mike Gillis who led the charge to expose Allen Eagleson. Eagleson ripped Gillis off like he did so many others and Gillis took him to court and recovered his money. In that process his reputation both as a hockey player and a lawyer were attacked. You have to respect the guy.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, at 18 he had one of the nicest beards I ever seen. Something tells me that his goal scoring was more due to his freakish manly physique for a teenager. And less to do with scoring talent. He's a good net presence. I dunno if he ever becomes a 15+ goal scoring guy. I don't hold much stock in goal/point totals in Junior. It's kids against kids, and some freakish manly kids take advantage of smaller kids. I love this guy, don't get me wrong. Just putting into perspective that his junior numbers could be deceiving. Played with Suzuki if I recall as well. Pretty talented player to ride shotgun with.

So you attribute his goal scoring prowess in junior to his "freakishly manly physique". Now that he is leading a pretty good professional league in goals, scoring very close to a goal per game playing against MEN, what is it, still just his manly physique, or just luck, or what?

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Feel free to take a look at the top 20 goal scorers in the AHL and tell me how many you see being 20 goal scorers in the NHL. I love Gadjovich. But to say he'll score 20 goals cause he scored 46 in Junior is wishful thinking at best. Can he do it? Of course, the possiblity is always there. I am just trying to lower people's expectations. I hate when the fanbase overrates prospects then when those prospects fail to meet those lofty expectations we have another Jake Virtanen situation. No matter what Jake does the fanbase isn't happy. Hell, it seems like we look for reasons to be mad at this point. Don't need that on Gadjovich or any other prospect for that matter.

Yes I agree, theres way too much optimism with people plugging in Jonah, Woo, Rathbone in already next seasons roster, need to hold their horses a bit. If Jonah even makes it to becoming an everyday player in the bigs, nevermind the 20 goals thats already a win. We've been spoiled during Bennings tenure of just having multiple players in almost every draft class making it and seeing success, people forget how it was like decades before that where we'd come out almost empty in some drafts. 3 calder nominees in a row, possibly 4, i don't think thats ever happened to any team

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Feel free to take a look at the top 20 goal scorers in the AHL and tell me how many you see being 20 goal scorers in the NHL. I love Gadjovich. But to say he'll score 20 goals cause he scored 46 in Junior is wishful thinking at best. Can he do it? Of course, the possiblity is always there. I am just trying to lower people's expectations. I hate when the fanbase overrates prospects then when those prospects fail to meet those lofty expectations we have another Jake Virtanen situation. No matter what Jake does the fanbase isn't happy. Hell, it seems like we look for reasons to be mad at this point. Don't need that on Gadjovich or any other prospect for that matter.

Feel free to take a look at those top 20 AHL goal scorers and tell me how many of them are Gadj's age and have shown the same dramatic improvement he has shown in the last year or two.

I saw one poster who suggested that given the way he produced in junior combined with his current performance in a professional men's league, Gadj "could end up being" a 20 goal scorer.

Was there one I missed who suggested that he "will" be a 20 goal scorer? Because "will" and "could end up being" do not mean the same thing.

But we silly Canucks fans appreciate you "just trying to lower people's expectations." I am sure we can count on you and your buddies to do so ad nauseam whenever the team loses a game. And to disappear whenever they win.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Fine to add a little caution and reality to the conversation. Being optimistic about Gadjovich is also healthy as he was a high 2nd rounder. Straight from junior to the AHL and the attending pro maturation is great for Gadjovich and Lind. In the 'olden days' of Vancouver Canuck hockey those boys would have been thrown to the wolves already. Vancouver has never seriously developed players. Virtanen and Gaunce I guess. What would have happened to Hutton's career if he had 2 years in the AHL?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Fine to add a little caution and reality to the conversation. Being optimistic about Gadjovich is also healthy as he was a high 2nd rounder. Straight from junior to the AHL and the attending pro maturation is great for Gadjovich and Lind. In the 'olden days' of Vancouver Canuck hockey those boys would have been thrown to the wolves already. Vancouver has never seriously developed players. Virtanen and Gaunce I guess. What would have happened to Hutton's career if he had 2 years in the AHL?

But keep in mind circumstances were different during those past era's, fewer teams and a belief rightly or wrongly that there was  an endless supply. Players were treated like sllabs of meat, junior teams went through youngsters with no regard, damaged a lot of kids and it was a case of who cares. When the PG Spruce Kings started they went through 47 players that year, schooling screwed up for so many, th. I remember coaches in Juniors throwing hot drinks over player or throwing chairs at players. Remember when Hitchcock made the players run across the old Port Mann bridge, rain or snow if they lost to the NW Bruins, different times

• Cheers 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:26 PM, N7Nucks said:

Oh, there’s another way to play that trick, why not look at 20 goal scorers in the AHL who became twenty goal scorers in the NHL? I can think of four Canucks right off the top of my head who scored at better than 20 goal a season pace in the AHL that repeated that feat in the NHL: Michael Grabner and Kesler scored exactly 30, Jannick Hansen, and Alex Burrows who scored at an over 20 goal pace in his last half season in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:26 PM, N7Nucks said:

I am not one to over rate Gadjo though I do think he at the very least he eventually finds a home playing 4th line minutes inserted situationally. One thing IMO is indisputable about his game though is his ability in front of the net.  

Q: What is the Canucks current problem on the PP?

A: Brock freaking Boeser picking up the trash. 

From the shadows enters the Dadjovich.........

PP1

Gadjovich

Boeser Horvat Pettersson 

Hughes

PP2

Zac

Myers Hoglander Miller

Schmidt 

I can't help but feel this configuration would be a hell of alot more effective than our current PP config. We need to get Brock back in his office regardless of how many goals Gadjo scores overall he would increse our PP output just by his presence net front.

I think also having his presence to ride shotty when our stars are getting roughed up would be invaluable.  He may only play 10 mins a night but with the right deployment those could be very effective 10 mins.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

I am not one to over rate Gadjo though I do think he at the very least he eventually finds a home playing 4th line minutes inserted situationally. One thing IMO is indisputable about his game though is his ability in front of the net.  

Q: What is the Canucks current problem on the PP?

A: Brock freaking Boeser picking up the trash. 

From the shadows enters the Dadjovich.........

PP1

Gadjovich

Boeser Horvat Pettersson 

Hughes

PP2

Zac

Myers Hoglander Miller

Schmidt 

I can't help but feel this configuration would be a hell of alot more effective than our current PP config. We need to get Brock back in his office regardless of how many goals Gadjo scores overall he would increse our PP output just by his presence net front.

I think also having his presence to ride shotty when our stars are getting roughed up would be invaluable.  He may only play 10 mins a night but with the right deployment those could be very effective 10 mins.

Upvote purely for having Boeser on his one time wing. It sickens me that we have Boeser down below the goal line. Arguably the best or second best shooter on the team and we are relegating him to playmaker for Bo Horvat of all people. No trying to slag Bo, but Boeser should be a shooter not a passer on our PP.