The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

38 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Gadjovich has been such a great surprise this season.  I never really looked at him as a legit prospect, but he is certainly proving me wrong.  He could make an impact as soon as next season.

Kraken fans will love him

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I really don't think they will have much interest in him TBH.  

They can do better than our 5th or 6th best prospect who has no NHL experience. I assume they would be far more inclined to take a chance on Virtanen returning to last years form, he is low risk on an expiring 2.5 mil deal.

Who knows though, it will be interesting.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

This is one reason why the Pearson signing, at least right now, didn't make any sense.  He is under contract with us and we aren't competing with anyone until his contract is up.

We could just have used the extra expansion slot for another prospect.

Petterson, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Motte, Lind, Gadjovich
Schmidt, Juolevi, Myers

Demko

That leaves literally nothing very useful for Seattle to take, at least nothing that isn't overpaid and on a bad contract.  They are welcome to Virtanen with his contract, but I doubt they will take him if they can take a cheap prospect.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

This is one reason why the Pearson signing, at least right now, didn't make any sense.  He is under contract with us and we aren't competing with anyone until his contract is up.

We could just have used the extra expansion slot for another prospect.

Petterson, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Motte, Lind, Gadjovich
Schmidt, Juolevi, Myers

Demko

That leaves literally nothing very useful for Seattle to take, at least nothing that isn't overpaid and on a bad contract.  They are welcome to Virtanen with his contract, but I doubt they will take him if they can take a cheap prospect.

We have no idea how Lind and Gadjovich will adapt to actual NHL play, and as they are going through that adjustment, you want guys like Pearson, teaching them how to play a 200 foot game in the NHL.

What a lot of people forget is, there will be injuries, there will be opportunities for the younger players to start adapting to the NHL. As they show that they are ready to handle the NHL full time, we will make room for them. It's how successful teams build. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We have no idea how Lind and Gadjovich will adapt to actual NHL play, and as they are going through that adjustment, you want guys like Pearson, teaching them how to play a 200 foot game in the NHL.

What a lot of people forget is, there will be injuries, there will be opportunities for the younger players to start adapting to the NHL. As they show that they are ready to handle the NHL full time, we will make room for them. It's how successful teams build. 

I don’t disagree that neither of them has any certainty of become a regular NHLer.    That is irrelevant to the point.  There is zero chance of them becoming an NHLer for the Canucks if they are taken in expansion.

It cost us nothing to wait until after expansion to sign Pearson.  He is under contract with us.  If he wants to be here he could be here... that could have happened after expansion.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t disagree that neither of them has any certainty of become a regular NHLer.    That is irrelevant to the point.  There is zero chance of them becoming an NHLer for the Canucks if they are taken in expansion.

It cost us nothing to wait until after expansion to sign Pearson.  He is under contract with us.  If he wants to be here he could be here... that could have happened after expansion.

I don't specifically disagree with you. I'm sticking with my prediction that Seattle will take Holtby. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Provost said:

If he plays like this the rest of the way out there could be a chance!

I was just talking with a friend about this, a lot of factors there may be other teams leaving better goalies but they also may have to leave a bigger piece to the puzzle unprotected and that forces there hand to move on to the next best goalie available. There is a good chance holtby will be a top 3 goalie option for them if he continues this play 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I was just talking with a friend about this, a lot of factors there may be other teams leaving better goalies but they also may have to leave a bigger piece to the puzzle unprotected and that forces there hand to move on to the next best goalie available. There is a good chance holtby will be a top 3 goalie option for them if he continues this play 

Yep that is a really good point.  There might be some better options available.

Some of the teams with better goalie options might have another good piece to pick up instead that makes it a better value proposition than taking whatever dregs we are offering.

There is also a wildcard of Vegas.  They aren’t part of expansion, but will they create cap space for themselves by trading one of their goalies for pennies on the dollar to Seattle before the expansion draft?  Could they even get a sweetener from Vegas to take a high end goalie that is using a ton of cap space... that is even possible.

That is what I would do if I were Seattle. Make deals before expansion to solve cap issues for other teams... accruing a bunch of assets in the process.  Then pick a lot of cheaper young players in expansion.

If Seattle could get MAF, it would mean less of a chance for Holtby to be picked up.

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

Some of the teams with better goalie options might have another good piece to pick up instead that makes it a better value proposition than taking whatever dregs we are offering.

There is also a wildcard of Vegas.  They aren’t part of expansion, but will they create cap space for themselves by trading one of their goalies for pennies on the dollar to Seattle before the expansion draft?  Could they even get a sweetener from Vegas to take a high end goalie that is using a ton of cap space... that is even possible.

That is what I would do if I were Seattle. Make deals before expansion to solve cap issues for other teams... accruing a bunch of assets in the process.  Then pick a lot of cheaper young players in expansion.

If Seattle could get MAF, it would mean less of a chance for Holtby to be picked up.

MAF would be 7m x 1yr (37)

Lehner would be 5m x 4 (30)

They both have M-NTCs

They both have had good stats this year, but Pits has a solid defensive record.

If Holtby continues to shine, he might look like a better selection. The Canucks would have to find another solid backup though.  Looking at the UFA market, I suspect they would have to pay around +3m to get a decent goalie.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

MAF would be 7m x 1yr (37)

Lehner would be 5m x 4 (30)

They both have M-NTCs

They both have had good stats this year, but Pits has a solid defensive record.

If Holtby continues to shine, he might look like a better selection. The Canucks would have to find another solid backup though.  Looking at the UFA market, I suspect they would have to pay around +3m to get a decent goalie.

Well depietro might be an option as a back up actually, none of us have seen him in a year but the fact that he has been working with Ian Clarke all year makes me feel confident he’s ready to take the back up roll on 

• Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Based on a quick overview of the Capfriendly, the following is a list of goalie options for the Kraken (I've probably missed a few):

Matiss Kivlenkieks (Columbus) - possible he is taken (not much else from Columbus)

Anton Kudobin (Dallas) - not likely; Dallas has a nice selection of defencemen to choose from

Cal Peterson (LA) - possible he is taken (I'm going to guess Dustin Brown is made available and may be taken)

Cam Talbot (Minnesota) - not likely; Minnesota has lots of NHL caliber players they won't be able to protect (one of which could be Matt Dumba)

Jake Allen (Montreal) - possible, but Montreal will have to make some tough choices on established players (Tatar? Lehkonen? Edmundson or Chariot?)

Keith Kincaid (NYR) - possible

One of Tristan Jarry or Casey DeSmith (Pittsburgh) - neither may be selected by the Kraken, as Pitt will have some good players up front available (possibly: Jason Zucker, Jeff Carter, Zach Aston-Reese, one of Michael Matheson, Brian Dumoulin, Marcus Pettersson may be available)

One of Robin Lehner/MA Fleury (Vegas) - possible one of the two will end up in Vegas if sweetener is good enough

Braden Holtby - my personal thought is that if Jake Virtanen is exposed, he would be the one taken off the Canucks roster

Just my take.

On 4/20/2021 at 4:37 PM, BCNate said:

I really don't think they will have much interest in him TBH.  

They can do better than our 5th or 6th best prospect who has no NHL experience. I assume they would be far more inclined to take a chance on Virtanen returning to last years form, he is low risk on an expiring 2.5 mil deal.

Who knows though, it will be interesting.

They might be more inclined to take a former AHL scoring leader for rookie defencemen with a gaudy +/- right shooting Brogan Rafferty.

15 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Holtby having a strong ending to the season wouldn't hurt, its his contract that is attractive. I don't think the Kraken will find a goalie under 32 on a ONE year deal making under 4.5 million that has a vezina and stanley cup ring. Some people are saying they could take Price or MAF, they both have massive contracts. Kraken can easily take Holtby as their starter or backup to a young goalie thats exposed.

Edited by filthycanuck
misspelleed
  • Cheers 1

On 4/20/2021 at 10:03 PM, Provost said:

Right, but he could've also signed with someone else.  I mean he could've even signed with Seattle then. 

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Right, but he could've also signed with someone else.  I mean he could've even signed with Seattle then. 

True as you say, but that could be said about any and every single UFA. 

I think the point may be that if there was a will to sign Pearson by the Canucks and vice versa, the two parties could have waited until after the expansion draft to allow the Canucks to protect two of Lind, Gadjovich and McEwan, whereas now, it looks like only one of the three can be protected.  Personally, I would have preferred to have the option to protect 2 instead of 1 of the three aforementioned players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That isn’t true, he can’t have just signed with someone else until his contract is up.  He isn’t even allowed to talk to other teams until July 1st.

Expansion is before free agency.  
The only team that would be allowed to approach him would be Seattle during their short window.

Part of his deal reportedly includes a gentleman’s agreement that he will be protected in expansion,... doesn’t sound like he wants to move to Seattle...

There would have been zero harm in agreeing to the contract terms with him and then not signing him until immediately after the expansion draft.

If he wanted to sign with us today, what changes?