The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Benning better not leave him exposed and let Seattle scoop up one of our most promising prospects.

Let them have Virtanen or Motte. Odds are they take Myers or Holtby if those are their choices.

Surely not Motte!!

If we could somehow clone, and structure a team with 3 Horvats, 3 Millers, 3 Mottes and 3 Hoglanders, we'd be nigh unbeatable

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Surely not Motte!!

If we could somehow clone, and structure a team with 3 Horvats, 3 Millers, 3 Mottes and 3 Hoglanders, we'd be nigh unbeatable

Love motte and the way he plays but the way he plays is exactly what is going to likely shorten how long he can play that way.

We gotta look at the bigger picture and that’s filling out the roster with players that will help us become playoff contenders. Gadjovich has a chance to fill a huge hole in our roster which is someone with size who can score around the net. That is more valuable than a fourth line penalty killer no matter how much energy he brings.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Love motte and the way he plays but the way he plays is exactly what is going to likely shorten how long he can play that way.

We gotta look at the bigger picture and that’s filling out the roster with players that will help us become playoff contenders. Gadjovich has a chance to fill a huge hole in our roster which is someone with size who can score around the net. That is more valuable than a fourth line penalty killer no matter how much energy he brings.

Agreed.  I'd play Gadjovich with Petey and Boeser, just tell him to drive to the net on every play.  If he can improve his skating he can be a legit power forward in the NHL with top 6 potential.

Gadjovich    Pettersson   Boeser

Pearson       Horvat         Podkolzin

Hoglander    Miller           Lind

Let the kids play.  I'd run that lineup next year.  We could potentially have 3 legit scoring lines.  I prefer Miller on the wing but since it's almost impossible to find a 3C via trade or free agency and Gadjovich is a left winger, we could move Miller to centre permanently to shore up that 3rd line.  Lind looks like a keeper and he can fill in at centre when we get an injury.

Yes, they have to protect Gadjovich.  Potential power forwards are so hard to come by.  In my opinion, it will come down to leaving one of Gadjovich, Lind or Motte exposed as a forward, and if I had my way, Gadjovich would be the first one protected.  I would be more willing to part with either Motte or Lind than Gadjovich.  And I take it as a given the Jake will be exposed.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Like 2

Motte is the one that has to get exposed. Seattle isn’t going to be drooling over Canada’s worst teams 4th liner. Holtby is the shiniest gem since that Toronto save and if he goes to the World Championships. It could appear he’s playing with trash rather than he himself being trash.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

His GPG is understated in the sense that Utica has played far fewer games. 

So you are saying that if he had the same number of goals as now, but Utica had played 5 more games, his GPG would be higher?  Unfortunately, it is the other way round  - it would be lower

But if you are saying that he would score at an even more torrid pace during the playing of the postponed games, then yes.   But that's a bold assumption.

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

So you are saying that if he had the same number of goals as now, but Utica had played 5 more games, his GPG would be higher?  Unfortunately, it is the other way round  - it would be lower

But if you are saying that he would score at an even more torrid pace during the playing of the postponed games, then yes.   But that's a bold assumption.

Why bold? He has been scoring pretty consistently. Utica is 5 or 6 games in postponed games so I would not be surprised to see him score another 3 or 4 goals. 

9 hours ago, Plum said:

Motte is the one that has to get exposed. Seattle isn’t going to be drooling over Canada’s worst teams 4th liner. Holtby is the shiniest gem since that Toronto save and if he goes to the World Championships. It could appear he’s playing with trash rather than he himself being trash.

As another poster said, Motte's durability might become more of an issue just like how we always lost Tanev to injury. But, I think it is more the style of game, Motte plays bigger and harder than ANY other Canuck on the ice...what does that say when he is one of the smaller players!?

Love Motte, I would protect him but he is also a player I would maybe only keep to his late 20s and let him walk or trade him before more injuries derail his career, possibly permanently...don't want to think that way but it happens all to often to players.

Be nice to give Gadj a sniff of the NHL to end the year, but with the quarantine period and less than 3 weeks to go they better do it sooner than later if they want him to get some games in with the Canucks

57 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Why bold? He has been scoring pretty consistently. Utica is 5 or 6 games in postponed games so I would not be surprised to see him score another 3 or 4 goals. 

He's scored 15 in 19 games, Utica has played 20, and have 9 left to play. He'd need to score 7 to better his current GPG.  Granted it is possible - one hat-trick would go a long way, but consider this .....  he scored 11 in his first 12 games,  then Rathbone was called up, and now he is at 15 after 19.  He was outstanding at jamming home the rebounds from Rathbone's shots, but that's gone now. iirc 8 of Rathbones 9 assists came on Gadjovich goals

I'm not knocking him - I am thrilled that he has come so far, having watched him struggle a bit these last 2 seasons, and I am for sure hoping he can crack the big team next season.  No one thought at the beginning of this season that 2/3rds through he'd be second in goals for the entire AHL  (Leader is at 19 goals with 33 games played!! Which makes Jonah's feat all the more impressive

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Protect Gadj.or Lind or both.

No need to protect Motte as future replacement could be Lockwood (both ex-UM, undersized feisty speedsters with injury problems). A possible future solution would be a platooning of Motte/Lockwood.

Exactly.  

If we expose Myers and Holtby I doubt they take Motte. Motte is a warrior but he isn’t likely as valued elsewhere.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.  

If we expose Myers and Holtby I doubt they take Motte. Motte is a warrior but he isn’t likely as valued elsewhere.

I think Seattle will take Holtby. His personality will make him a favourite there. They'll also want an experienced goaltender that they can rely on.

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed.  I'd play Gadjovich with Petey and Boeser, just tell him to drive to the net on every play.  If he can improve his skating he can be a legit power forward in the NHL with top 6 potential.

Gadjovich    Pettersson   Boeser

Pearson       Horvat         Podkolzin

Hoglander    Miller           Lind

Let the kids play.  I'd run that lineup next year.  We could potentially have 3 legit scoring lines.  I prefer Miller on the wing but since it's almost impossible to find a 3C via trade or free agency and Gadjovich is a left winger, we could move Miller to centre permanently to shore up that 3rd line.  Lind looks like a keeper and he can fill in at centre when we get an injury.

Gadjovich is much more than a guy who drives the net, he also makes lots of contact, pressures well on the boards, and will protect his teammates. If he can adapt to the NHL pace, he could be a very valuable piece, a big, robust, truculent player who can score. A lot of those goals are not from driving the net, but finding room in front of a crowded net to keep his stick free enough to get a shot... and he is deadly in close - he reminds me of Luc Robittaile in that regard. Luc was not a great skater, but somehow his stick and arms were always free near the net.

And apparently, he is on the way up to Vancouver.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1