Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly. But apparently, to some, our prospect pool is garbage.

We have solid prospects, we just haven't been able to freely access them this season due to quarantine required for bringing them back and forth across the border.

 

Going to be great to have them in Abbotsford, so fans can see them, Coaching can see them whenever they want. Imagine how much better our goalies will develop if we can just send Clark out to Abbotsford for a day to work with them, or pull them into Rogers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

We have solid prospects, we just haven't been able to freely access them this season due to quarantine required for bringing them back and forth across the border.

 

Going to be great to have them in Abbotsford, so fans can see them, Coaching can see them whenever they want. Imagine how much better our goalies will develop if we can just send Clark out to Abbotsford for a day to work with them, or pull them into Rogers.

Well that, and like previous seasons, they're also playing in college, Europe etc and not available for recall.

 

The last few years, I've been constantly fighting the 'Utica isn't very good, therefore our prospect pool sucks' sentiment. Now it's 'most of our blue chip guys have graduated and our pool sucks'.

 

Some people just never tire of being proven wrong apparently :lol:

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think it's more that we're running low on top flight, blue chip guys (they've mostly graduated) and the media/some fans are now translating it to 'crappy prospect pool'.

 

But we're chock a block full of support/depth guys like Gadjovich, Lockwood, Lind, Focht, Karlsson, Costmar, McDonagh etc. And it looks like we should get another decent guy or two this draft.

 

This is what happens when you draft well and the blue chip guys all graduate though... Lol

Prospect pool rankings, and the media discussion around them, is always skewed toward top picks. You’ll regularly see a terrible farm system suddenly jump to a top-10 or even top-5 ranking, just because they lucked into a lottery win pick.

 

We’re no longer one of those top heavy systems, as the cream of our crop has graduated (as you note), so we tend to get ranked middle of the pack these days.

 

However, we do have a good group of B/C grade prospects, and many of them appear to have good shots of making contributions as bottom-six F, bottom-4 D, which we will really need moving forward.

 

Of course, most teams have a decent group of similar players as well. We just tend to not know much about those guys, because they’re developing in other teams’ systems, and don’t tend to get much discussion, outside of those fanbases and local sports media.

 

But with a high pick in the 2021 first round, maybe snagging a “faller” in the 2nd, plus some decent work on draft day 2, and we could easily jump back into the top-10 on many of the prospects rankings, when they come out post-draft this year.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

But with a high pick in the 2021 first round, maybe snagging a “faller” in the 2nd, plus some decent work on draft day 2, and we could easily jump back into the top-10 on many of the prospects rankings, when they come out post-draft this year.

I'd think that would be a key to a successful draft ... another Hoglander would help a lot.  As a rule after the first round the scouting staff are mostly making the subsequent list of candidates. In the past we've had success with late picks such as Rathbone, Demko, Lockwood, Madden, Hoglander and maybe McDonough. Makes a huge difference. They may  not be stars but essential none the less

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kudos on your NHL first big man. Like that sticking up for your teammate stuff. Just need to prioritize skating this summer and you got this.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2021 at 3:10 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

but but but... we need to fire Benning /s

If JB gets fired it won’t because of his drafting, it will be for gross cap mismanagement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't get to see it tonight, but this guy has got legit NHLer written all over him.  If it comes down to a choice between exposing him or Motte in the expansion draft, I hope to HE double hockey sticks that they expose Motte (as much as I'd love to keep him too).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Didn't get to see it tonight, but this guy has got legit NHLer written all over him.  If it comes down to a choice between exposing him or Motte in the expansion draft, I hope to HE double hockey sticks that they expose Motte (as much as I'd love to keep him too).  

No

  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If JB gets fired it won’t because of his drafting, it will be for gross cap mismanagement.

That's true but I wonder how much of the cap management falls in the lap of John Weisbrod as Assistant GM as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If JB gets fired it won’t because of his drafting, it will be for gross cap mismanagement.

thats true. Whoever replaces him tho still has the same lousy choice to make, between waiting another year or moving futures to fix some of the dead cap. How much do you spend to clear 1 year of Loui? or Roussel? 

 

A new GM doesn't bring a magic toolbox with him. I'm certainly open to upgrading our GM, but I don't expect miracles. The problems don't leave when Jim does. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true. Whoever replaces him tho still has the same lousy choice to make, between waiting another year or moving futures to fix some of the dead cap. How much do you spend to clear 1 year of Loui? or Roussel? 

 

A new GM doesn't bring a magic toolbox with him. I'm certainly open to upgrading our GM, but I don't expect miracles. The problems don't leave when Jim does. 

I still like the idea of Tallon and Gallant joining the team but that's a dream.

 

Tallons Florida built team is looking damned fine right now

 

Kinda think Gadjovich based on what he brings is protected though

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I still like the idea of Tallon and Gallant joining the team but that's a dream.

 

Tallons Florida built team is looking damned fine right now

 

Kinda think Gadjovich based on what he brings is protected though

it would sting losing Motte, but I don't mind the idea of protecting the future. Motte seems to be struggling with injuries as well so maybe Seattle avoids him anyway.

 

Tallon.... I wonder how that would play here? the #firebenning crowd would love the change. 

 

Tallon as president hockey ops, Gillaman as GM might cause heads to explode. 

 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish Green could have found the kid more than 4:55 of ice time. Thought we were playing the kids to get a good look at what we got. Regardless good to see him in the game and the character sticking up for his teammates! Hope Gadjovich can be a NHL regular there’s a lot to like about his game.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gurn said:

played 4:55 of the 43 minutes he was available or more than 10% of available time. Not bad actually

You would’ve thought 6 or 7 minutes would’ve sufficed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Wish Green could have found the kid more than 4:55 of ice time. Thought we were playing the kids to get a good look at what we got. Regardless good to see him in the game and the character sticking up for his teammates! Hope Gadjovich can be a NHL regular there’s a lot to like about his game.

He had 17 mins of penalty time. Didnt play a shift in the 3rd.  Mac only had 1 shift of 43 seconds in that 3rd, and Hawryluk just one as well, of 49 seconds. So Green wasn't picking on Gadj at all, just playing the vets to try and get the comeback - and it worked.

 

My beefs were 2 - Gadjovich was such a presence on the Utuca powerplay that I thought he'd get a look there, but didnt. 

And why won't Green put Hoglander out in overtime?  Is he suspect defensively with so much open ice? Poor passer? I just wish that one of the press corps would ask Green post game why no Hog sighting in any OT this season.

 

 

Edited by Googlie
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How did Gadj do last night?? I missed the game....  good enough to challenge Big Z-Mac for next season??

 

Z-Mac has been a disappointment... he used to use a lot more speed and physicality but has been mostly invisible this season! I think JB should pick up another big physical body this offseason to provide more competition! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He had 17 mins of penalty time. Didnt play a shift in the 3rd.  Mac only had 1 shift of 43 seconds in that 3rd, and Hawryluk just one as well, of 49 seconds. So Green wasn't picking on Gadj at all, just playing the vets to try and get the comeback - and it worked.

 

My beefs were 2 - Gadjovich was such a presence on the Utuca powerplay that I thought he'd get a look there, but didnt. 

And why won't Green put Hoglander out in overtime?  Is he suspect defensively with so much open ice? Poor passer? I just wish that one of the press corps would ask Green post game why no Hog sighting in any OT this season.

 

 

This is also my issue - last week Green said publicly that he wouldn't hesitate to put young kids in key situations then we see last night where the 'kids' were essentially given no opportunity because we were worried about winning a meaningless game that will have ZERO implications for the team moving forward.........this is totally disingenuous of Green to tell the fan-base that he'll play the kids and then watch a game like last night....I mean Gadjo with less than 5min total time and OJ with ZERO PP time.....is this how we develop the 'kids'?  I guess we should be happy that a plug like Chatfield (no offense) got 13+minutes......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...