The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

47 minutes ago, J-P said:

It does make sense for Seattle to pick up a few players/contracts like Highmore, but I'm thinking they will find them as FA. If not, or if they don't like our other options, we can only hope... Really hope Gadj is not exposed though as him or Lind makes even more sense for Seattle IMO.

the decision between Lind and Gadj's might be a tough one from a fan pov. I suspect they keep Lind 10/10 times but I can see why people don't want to lose Jonah, I don't want to either, but in the grand scheme its getting off light. 

One thing I know for sure is Seatle is not helping us with our cap issues. I don't want Benning doing something like giving up a 1st just to dump Loui. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the decision between Lind and Gadj's might be a tough one from a fan pov. I suspect they keep Lind 10/10 times but I can see why people don't want to lose Jonah, I don't want to either, but in the grand scheme its getting off light. 

One thing I know for sure is Seatle is not helping us with our cap issues. I don't want Benning doing something like giving up a 1st just to dump Loui. 

Giving up a first to dump Loui is one of those things that may be considered an "aggressive" move by management this offseason.  I don't disagree with you that I don't want the Canucks to do that, but it's certainly a possibility, especially if Seattle doesn't end up take Holtby.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It is tough to know who they will pick.  Both Lind and Gajovich require waivers this coming season I believe and they are unlikely to make what will be a pretty deep Seattle squad... so it could be a waste for Seattle to pick them up.  If they do get selected, we have a pretty good chance of getting them back on waivers at the start of next season.

I think it isn't unlikely that Seattle will pick one of our pending UFAs.  They don't need 30 NHL roster players and may want to use their cap space as leverage in free agency and trades.. so they might want to come out of expansion with fewer locked in contracts.  There are just a few teams in our position that have effectively nothing valuable to lose in the expansion draft... so we would be prime to be pretty much passed over entirely.

If I were Seattle, I would eat some bad contracts in return for picks and waiver exempt blue chip prospects to build out a farm system.

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Giving up a first to dump Loui is one of those things that may be considered an "aggressive" move by management this offseason.  I don't disagree with you that I don't want the Canucks to do that, but it's certainly a possibility, especially if Seattle doesn't end up take Holtby.

man I hope thats just not in the cards. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is tough to know who they will pick.  Both Lind and Gajovich require waivers this coming season I believe and they are unlikely to make what will be a pretty deep Seattle squad... so it could be a waste for Seattle to pick them up.  If they do get selected, we have a pretty good chance of getting them back on waivers at the start of next season.

thats a really good point. 

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think it isn't unlikely that Seattle will pick one of our pending UFAs.  They don't need 30 NHL roster players and may want to use their cap space as leverage in free agency and trades.. so they might want to come out of expansion with fewer locked in contracts.  There are just a few teams in our position that have effectively nothing valuable to lose in the expansion draft... so we would be prime to be pretty much passed over entirely.

If I were Seattle, I would eat some bad contracts in return for picks and waiver exempt blue chip prospects to build out a farm system.

They should pick Holtby. If he does reasonably well he could be flipped at the TDL for a decent pick/prospect. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Agree, makes no sense to give something up for LE at this point, should've been done earlier in that case. Also agree JB has actually set us up nice for the expansion draft, we can pretty much choose who we give up and it won't hurt that much all things considered.

Guess the exposed forwards that we don't want to lose will be 2 of MacEwen, Lind, Motte and Jonah. I would personally expose MacEwen and Motte, but I can of course see the reasoning for not exposing Motte.

As I mentioned I definitely want us to hang on to all 4 players below and hope Seattle goes with Holtby or an exposed D (hm, who would that be...) but likely they will end up taking one of the exposed forwards.

MacEwen: needed toughness and some scoring touch but not good enough defensively (yet?), could see Seattle taking him but not sure he has that next step in him and if not we win out

Lind: talented and gritty but IMO projects as a 4th liner with some scoring touch considering his development curve, he does have potential though so it's hard to say, he could be that coveted 3C in a year or two or even a scoring top 6 winger down the line

Jonah: obviously adding needed toughness, has all the raw tools but still pretty much an unknown and he needs to be a lot better to even play in the NHL (he has shown better/faster progress compared to Lind though as I see it), but he just has that power forward potential though, so if I'm Seattle and he's exposed I'll take him with no second thoughts, and although it's 50/50 IMO he'll ever be an NHL regular that's also why we shouldn't expose him, a line like Jonah/EP/Podz could be just deadly if all players reach their potential

Motte: love him as a player and on a good contract and when healthy he's exactly the player with that cap hit that you need to win in the playoffs, but in 1-3 years when we are contenders he's likely banged up if we're being crass, so I would expose him, he does make sense for Seattle short-term but not if they're playing the long game and building a team that will contend more consistently in a few years

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, J-P said:

Agree, makes no sense to give something up for LE at this point, should've been done earlier in that case. Also agree JB has actually set us up nice for the expansion draft, we can pretty much choose who we give up and it won't hurt that much all things considered.

Guess the exposed forwards that we don't want to lose will be 2 of MacEwen, Lind, Motte and Jonah. I would personally expose MacEwen and Motte, but I can of course see the reasoning for not exposing Motte.

As I mentioned I definitely want us to hang on to all 4 players below and hope Seattle goes with Holtby or an exposed D (hm, who would that be...) but likely they will end up taking one of the exposed forwards.

MacEwen: needed toughness and some scoring touch but not good enough defensively (yet?), could see Seattle taking him but not sure he has that next step in him and if not we win out

Lind: talented and gritty but IMO projects as a 4th liner with some scoring touch considering his development curve, he does have potential though so it's hard to say, he could be that coveted 3C in a year or two or even a scoring top 6 winger down the line

Jonah: obviously adding needed toughness, has all the raw tools but still pretty much an unknown and he needs to be a lot better to even play in the NHL (he has shown better/faster progress compared to Lind though as I see it), but he just has that power forward potential though, so if I'm Seattle and he's exposed I'll take him with no second thoughts, and although it's 50/50 IMO he'll ever be an NHL regular that's also why we shouldn't expose him, a line like Jonah/EP/Podz could be just deadly if all players reach their potential

Motte: love him as a player and on a good contract and when healthy he's exactly the player with that cap hit that you need to win in the playoffs, but in 1-3 years when we are contenders he's likely banged up if we're being crass, so I would expose him, he does make sense for Seattle short-term but not if they're playing the long game and building a team that will contend more consistently in a few years

from a pure asset pov, Seattle taking JG is best since we got that pick for free by losing Tort's. If I had a choice, I'd lose Mac out of that list. I think Graovac is a little more useful than Mac, outside of fighting. 

I can't see us exposing Motte, he's just too good on the PK.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is tough to know who they will pick.  Both Lind and Gajovich require waivers this coming season I believe and they are unlikely to make what will be a pretty deep Seattle squad... so it could be a waste for Seattle to pick them up. 

Good point, Seattle would need to really believe in Lind or Gadjovich to pick them up. I do believe in them and think they can be at least 12/13F next year and also that they don't really need more time in the minors. So I wouldn't expose either as they have high potential, and if it means losing Motte I could live with that even if neither of these players pan out.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't see us exposing Motte, he's just too good on the PK.

It would definitely sting... But I don't think Motte will be on our PK in 2-3 years when it really matters. Hope I'm wrong of course.

• Like 1

Back to Gadjovich... I don't see him as Seattle's type of player.  Ron Francis has said he's following Vegas example - fast 2nd and 3rd liners for forwards and mobile puck-moving 2nd line defenders, interspersed with some Free Agents and "protection" deals that fit that mold.   Gadjovich doesn't check any of these boxes.

I am not sure that Lind does either.   Motte and Highmore do.   I don't know enough about Madison Bowey, but he might fit the bill.  Holtby does, ofc, but hasn't really helped his cause this season.  (They might, otoh, go outside the box and take Virtanen, assuming nothing comes of the inquiry)

Edited by Googlie

2 hours ago, J-P said:

It would definitely sting... But I don't think Motte will be on our PK in 2-3 years when it really matters. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Why not? Motte will be in his prime in 2-3 years.  

Remember when we thought that Tanev, Sutter and Edler would never play more then half a season healthy again?  

I think that Highmore and Motte will be protected over Jonah, Lind and MacEwen.  Jonah still isn’t a full time NHLer, we’re hoping that he becomes what Motte and Highmore are (different style obviously) 

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Why not? Motte will be in his prime in 2-3 years.  

Remember when we thought that Tanev, Sutter and Edler would never play more then half a season healthy again?  

I think that Highmore and Motte will be protected over Jonah, Lind and MacEwen.  Jonah still isn’t a full time NHLer, we’re hoping that he becomes what Motte and Highmore are (different style obviously) 

No way Highmore is protected no matter if staff is high (pun intended) on him.

I'd say Sutter is not a good example to prove your point and the jury is still out on Tanev. Lind and Jonah are as you say not NHL players yet, but more of a bust or high ceiling players whereas MacEwen and Highmore is pretty much what you see right now. I would gamble on the upside of Lind and Jonah as stated, but I do see your point from an asset management point of view.

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say if I'm Seattle and Motte is available. I'm taking Motte. He's the kind of player you want your young players to learn from, and a guy who just has one hell of a motor.

Only problem is that motor motor breaks because it's revving so high. 

• Cheers 1